Hi Folks,
I am from the UK,
I have had a strange salty taste in my mouth for the past week, my lips also taste salty and excess saliva, i thought it seemed to be from the tip of my tongue but not sure.ive never had it before and after reading the threads on this subject i im trying to narrow down what could be causing it.
I smoke and drink 2 to 3 coffees a day,but not affected me before, i have IBS which i take a healthy bacteria supplement for,
i have changed to a whitening toothpaste recently which seems to be a factor with some people,
i have a tooth that broke recently and have made an appoinment with my dentist, it is a little jagged at the edge and i do find that my tongue constantky probes at it, i thought this may have damaged the tastebuds at the tip of it,maybe that is cause,
i had a very dry mouth when waking in the morning for a while which has now gone.
So what has started as a slight annoyance is starting to really irritate me.

I have the same salty taste except my lips are very dry, as though the salt is drying the surface. I stopped using whitening toothpaste for a while but there was no change. I have dry eye syndrome, so it's possible that the fluid is draining away into my throat. I should replace the fluid regularly with saline solution, but have chosen not to because it seemed to make matters worse. I have had severe trigeminal neuralgia and partial paralysis of my face after dental treatment went wrong, but that was 6 years ago and is 95% back to normal now. It did affect my taste which was lost on half my mouth, so I thought it could be the return of normal taste sensitivity. I am 57 and take evening primrose oil and chondroitin with glucosomine for osteo- arthritis. I have been on these for 3 years now and the salty taste has been for the last year only. I am overweight (morbidly obese in fact) but my blood levels of cholesterol etc are those of a slim woman according to my GP. I don't have more than 1-2 cups of coffee per day and probably should drink more water. I have a fairly balanced diet but have some intolerance to cheese, wheat and some additives found in make-up and lipsticks etc. I have dizzy spells and often need a sugar fix, but I have tested negative for diabetes on many occasions over the years. It's a mystery to me why this is happening.

Taste changes like salty taste in mouth is not a serious problem. However it is
annoying and you may not enjoy your food. All most all people suffering from
this problem are ignorant about its causes as well as remedies.

There are a few possible explanations for this problem. Dehydration is often
considered one of the most common reasons for the occurrence of saltiness
in the mouth. Dehydration is caused as a result of inadequate intake of water,
parching the body. Apart from this, dehydration can be caused by excessive
ingestion of alcohol. Also, it may be due to high-dose of anti-thyroid drugs and
chemotherapy medicines, leading to dehydration and saltiness in mouth.

Hello from Spain,

here it is another one who suffered the very same problem for the last two weeks and until yesterday. I started like you all having a salty taste in my mouth, I felt the salty taste to come from my left side saliva gland. A few days later I had my tongue and lips very bad, due to the salt, so I think this is not a feeling, I am nearly 100% sure that my saliva was salty. I quickly began to search the internet and few results were found in Spain, so I tried abroad, and I found this amazing forum. I began to read from the beggining and could not stop reading every single post till I finished (next day) the whole thread. I have GERD, and I have allergy to pollen too. I was amazed with having so many things in common all people who suffered this thing. I inmediatly stopped smoking, drinking 3 litres of water per day, stopped having the pills for allergy, etc... None of these seemed to work. I had also read that many of you had also been using whitening baking soda toothpaste, but I didn't care of it becouse I was sure enough that I wasn't using a toothpaste like this. Well, on Monday night, while toothbrushing, I realised that I was using a toothpaste called AIM WHITENING BAKING SODA. I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing!!!! The day before this my colgate toothpaste was finished and I replaced it with a toothpaste that I bought on my travel to New York.

Well, after that, I haven't used anymore that toothpaste and the problem has gone gradually day by day. Today, I can say that i don't have any salted taste in my mouth.

That would not have been like this without the help of this forum... so thank you everybody who posted and in special to those that took relevant conclusions about the causes of this annoying thing.

I think that the use of this toothpaste, and the fact to have GERD, allergies, ulcers, etc... may be the answer to the problem. I hope one day any doctor/scientific discovers the real root cause, but probably that whitening toothpaste has some components that are not good for some people like us.

I hope you all have the salty taste solved soon...

Best regards,
David

Hi!
My salty mouth problem started about 3 months ago, and it gradually subsided about a week ago. Three weeks ago I stopped taking fish oil, calcium, and stopped using an alcohol-based mouth wash (full strength). I suspect the problem was the mouth wash because the label directs me to dilute it, but taking a swig of it from the bottle is too easy; I swished it around in my mouth for about 30 seconds, then spit it out without rinsing my mouth with water, before retiring.
I am going to resume taking the fish oil next week and will wait a couple of weeks, then will resume the calcium.
I started using the mouth wash after hearing that it would improve the early morning mouth odor, but I will not start using it again.

No one in this thread mentioned mouth wash, so maybe my condition is unique. Good luck to all of you.

Fred

Hi all,
This IS FOR EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM!!! I have had this whole salty taste thing for about a month now, i have done extensive research on the subject, THE MOST COMMON thing in this thread is that ALMOST EVERYONE has GERD or some type of stomach problem, well, I want to tell everyone here a true success story, NOT ONLY DID IT ELIMINATE MY SALTY TASTE, BUT MY STOMACH IS HEALED!! I Have been diagnosed with I.B.S., Gerd, AND stomach ulcers. Well, after hours and hours of research, i discovered i had Helicobator Pylori!!!! PEOPLE, This is a VICIOUS Bacteria, it has caused me problems now, I Believe anyway, For 6+ Years. I Am An avid fisherman, and if you are too, or if you spend alot of time out camping and stuff, I WOULD GO GET TESTED FOR THIS!!! I have been miserable for 6 years taking this and that to help acid reflux, and to help my I.B.S. And come to find out, I Started taking the natural cure that KILLS helicobator Pylori, It is a VERY RARE Honey that comes from New Zeland, It is called RAW MANUKA HONEY, I Have Been off my other meds and taking 1 tbsp 3 times a day for 3 days now, well this is day 3 as i said, and the salty taste is gone! My stomach hasnt been hurting, my appetite has increased by about 50 PERCENT, My stool is more "solid" And i havent felt this good in, well, PROBABLY 6 YEARS!!! THANKS TO EVERYONE IN THIS POST, NOT SURE IF THIS IS EVERYONES PROBLEM, BUT GIVE IT A SHOT, THE HONEY WAS ONLY LIKE $20, MUCH CHEAPER THAN A or Multiple doctor(s) visit. :D

Four months ago, after a dental cleaning and a filling, I started having a salty taste in my mouth. My dentist doesn't know what to think of it. My primary physician doesn't know what to think of it. I also have very bad headaches, migraines, if you will, and persistent drainage down the back of my throat and sporadically from my nose. Clear fluid.

Finally, I went to my neurologist and she is considering cerebral spinal fluid leak and is having MRI brain scans done this week. I've also been to an allergist, and we're working that end as well. I've had blood drawn and will have a full set of skin tests in two weeks.

I've read everything from the very beginning of these threads. I've taken notes and will get this extra information to my doctors.

I'm so sorry that you all are suffering, but thank God, I'm not alone.

Well i have had over the last 2 years a stupid dry cough that would come out of nowhere. Just a sharpe in take of breathe and away i would go sometimes until i was sick. I would be on the phone just about to connect to speak to someone and away i would go again not able to talk because of the coughing. The doctor sent me for a chest x ray which came back clear and also at the same time i had a uncomfortable tonge which she gave me an anti fugal medicine for. This did nothing. I was given an asthma inhaler to try ( almost trial and error ) which i must admit i discarded not feeling that this was the problem. A few months ago i had a terrible cough which kept me awake all night. I had been back to the doctor 5 days before and sent for another chest x ray that came back clear. I actually called out a dr because i felt so bad and had symptons like sinusitus and she gave me an antibiotic and told me to go to the asthma clinic when i felt better and also to take some antacids that had been given to me by another dr who thought i had reflux. I recovered from this and went to asthma clinic where they did tests and told me to use a preventer inhaler. This seemed to help. My sore tongue i seemed to cure with and iron and multi vitamin. Feeling so much better i decided to get some much needed dental work done. I had 4 crowns fitted but then a few weeks later had to suffer horrendous pain from an abcess on the roor of one of the teeth. Two different anti biotics eventually cleared this up and then i went down with another cough that kept me awake all night and made me sick when i coughed too much. This turned into a terrible rattley cough a week later and i was told it wasn,t a chest unfection but a virus. A week later i had terrible pain at the back of my nose and then thick green gunge came down my nose for another 10 days. I was given no meds for this as it was sinusitus and they said viral not bacterial. During the sinusitus stage i had the usual no taste buds and food just tasted of nothing so lost a bit of weight. But in the end i found i was looking for anything that would tickle my tastebuds. Now for the last 8 or 9 days i have had salty taste in my mouth. Probably more to the left side. I still have the occasional coughling spell that makes me heave and this salty brine taste right in the back of my throat. I feel like a hot drink will swill it down but nothing clears it. So interesting to read similar experiences but also so miserable. I also wear contact lenses . It seems the list of coincidences goes on and on but what on earth is it. Lets just hope there is a more definate answer. I put down my onset of asthma to stress.

Mo

for me it was dental work. I had a temp crown put in, then the crown fell out and I got the horrible salt taste, like licking a salt block. I had the temp put back in and it fell out again. this time I left it out, and cleaned up all of the temp glue from around the tooth...each day the salty taste got better! My new crown is in and no salty taste! The only thing I can think of is that it was the temp glue that they used that my mouth didnt like. I hope this helps someone with recent dental work expiriencing the salty taste.

Hi!

I'm from Russia, Moscow

The same problem, I think it's because of immigrants, they bring to us all new virusess

Last night I tried a spoon of Raw Manuka Honey, and again this morning. I have already got 50% of my taste back!
I'll let you know as soon as I know more

I have had this salty taste in my mouth for about 10 days. Now can only taste salt no sweet, sour or bitter.
This seemed to have started a few days after a visit to my Dentist for a 6 month cleaning. Anyone else have this happen after a Dentist visit?

I have just finished reading every post in the 3 threads that make up this topic of salty mouth. I, too, have just begun getting the problem and have had it for about 5 days now. After reading everyone's input and examining my symptoms, I've decided that I may have a sinus infection. I'm going to start antibiotics and, if they work, I'll let you all know.

Have any treatments helped any of you?

Hi I'm 28 yrs old and I finished reading everyones post and its giving much to think about. I've had a salty sea like taste coming from the top left side of my mouth. I thought my tooth had gone bad or was infected somehow. I would feel something back there and id rub and rub till the tip of my touge went raw and sore. I've been recently for about two months have been taking a diet pill and it caused my mouth to be extremely dry. The salty taste didn't start right away though maybe just started I think in the past week or so. I did recently change my tooth paste to advanced whiting. I do get bad headaches and nexk pains from stress. I also have been unable to sleep properly for the past week and when I do sleep I grind my teeth. I wake up with a soar jaw and a headache. I don't drink sodas and I don't smoke. I do drink beer occassionly and liquor. The diet pills make thirsty so I'm always drinking water but have also noticed that they make me consitpated and haven't been going properly. I also have been hearing a flat line noise in my ear and sometime my heart pounds hard for no reason for a few seconds then goes back to normal. I don't have acid reflux and I have not felt dizzy yet. I don't have high blood pressure although I'm waiting on results. I don't have diabetes nor have I noicted any sinus problems. I've been spitting a lot because the taste makes me sick to my stomach. Its so frustrating and annoying its all I can think about. I'm so confused do I go to dentist or my family doctor?

Hi Guest,

Good news! My salty mouth seems to be going away! But something you wrote piqued my interest: I am taking amphetamines for narcolepsy and they make my mouth very dry. But I actually think mine was/is a fungus problem. I started eating yogurt and that's when the saltyness started going away. Try yogurt and let me know how it goes.