You left out intestinal problems - diverticulitis - infection in the colon and intestines - might cause such problems.

I wonder whether an allergic reaction to canola/rapeseed oil could cause this bad taste in the mouth? I'm wondering because I first developed it after eating packaged popcorn. I got rid of it eventually with Manuka Honey and fermented foods and clearing up my colon problems. In any case the honey counteracts the salty taste and gives some temporary relief.

Get your sinuses and intestines checked by a medical doctor. You might have allergies to commonly used preservatives or new additives in foods or things your body has absorbed. If your intestines have an infection, it could cause the problem, I'll bet. So detox with organic fresh fruit and vegetable juices, swim, walk, exercise the middle part of your body a lot, eat seedless berry fruits, fermented foods like sauerkraut (make sure it's the real thing), real organic yogurt, Manuka Honey (which is a natural bacteria-killer and eases the salty taste, at the very least). Sometimes mineral imbalances cause weird problems so look into that too. In your case, I suspect your IBS is the cause, so do something about your gut health.

Yes, this all makes plenty of sense. I did take zinc, change my diet, etc..

I have read through the previous 2 threads and and now working my way through this one...

My salty taste started about 5 weeks ago as simply dry mouth and a horrible bitter taste when eating....maybe it was like that black licorice people have mentioned. Most foods were too horrible to eat and I could only stand rice cracker, cream cheese and popcorn. Last week I realized that my mouth is now very salty and gradually I have been able to eat more foods and am feeling better generally but the taste is still quite unpleasant. No one has admitted that I have bad breath and I hope they are right!

Possible factors:

Started on same day that I had severe upper jaw pain. I continue to have mild and somewhat traveling face soreness..most around right cheekbone. I have a sensitive (to touch, only) lower molar but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

My bite is off and I may clench teeth at night.

Used very expired anbesol on same day.

Re-started using tea tree oil shampoo when it started but had used previously for years.

Had very stiff and sore neck a couple weeks ago. Now mostly better but still mildly sore on both sides.

Had recently started new sensodyne pro-enamel toothpaste...have stopped since last week.

Iron was low but now my levels have now stabilized.

Woke up with about 15 forehead headaches in previous month, then nausea and severe lethargy up until last week ...maybe from low iron.

Drinking ozonated or distilled water seems to help and definitely tastes better than other water. Had already been concerned about my tap water with filters going bad too fast.

I have had burning mouth before for a few days...quite similar...so thirsty I was sure that I had diabetes..but I didn't.

I think it's clear that some people here have a bad taste from gerd, some have thrush, some may have burning mouth...and then there are the rest of us!

I am now guessing that I have a sinus infection or blockage but I am now taking zinc, b12, natural antibiotics until I can try some real ones, drinking ONLY distilled water and keeping a list of foods that make it better or worse.

I am not sure if anyone is reading this thread anymore but I thought I'd update my post with results so far. My doctor thought it was acid reflux or gerd even though I couldn't feel the acid at all. Anyway, now I can. I have been taking Manuka honey, zinc for about a week and the taste is gradually improving. My taste seems normal about 50% of the time now. Hopefully it will go away completely soon.

i no what it is i pay out alot of money to fine out whart this is i will tell you what it is ruarnteed for 25$ iwill tell you iam not trying to be a butt i have pay alot of money to find out what it is and i have the cure

I have had this problem for about 2 months. It started with a clogged salivary gland which eventually became unclogged with the help of sour candies and warm compresses. Then after a fewlike days thecan salty taste came. It also affects my lips. I went to ENT and he put me on a round of antibiotics. On day 3 the salty taste went away and I finished the round of antibiotics. Well only a few days later it came back with a vengeance. I was put in another round and it eased somewhat. I did a sialagram where they look at the saliva gland and it came back normal. Another round if antibiotics did nothing. Now I am back where I started. I am taking the manuka honey and thinking about the zinc. I am at my wits end here. I have looked at some of the other posts and their "cures" . I brush with natural toothsoap...don't eat processed food and take a high quality organic vitamins..fish oil...garlic supplements. I tend to believe in t case it has something to do with the clogged gland and an infection. Just thought I would share my story...and I hope this thing goes away soon...

I have had this sickening salty taste in my mouth for 5 months now. Not been able to taste anything sweet . So frustrating because no doctor seems to be able to tell me what has caused it.

I have had lots of gastric issues, ulcers in my mouth which I am told is from acid and stress, along with burning on my tongue. After reading all of the posts it was like a light bulb went off in my head!!

I began acupuncture for back/nerve pain back in September. It was the very next week that I lost my taste buds and all of this began.. I have been told there are several nerves involving tastes buds that are in the area I received acupuncture.

Talked to my ENT doc today and he agrees it could very well have done it. I have been going to Myofacial Physical Relief therapy for years, and she says we can get them back.

She is a miracle worker. I'll do whatever it takes and will share any changes. Good Luck all. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts..

1.40 in the morning here in the UK and I have been reading all the posts. 9 weeks ago I had a bi lateral stroke.. annoying as I eat the correct foods.. exercise, dont smoke or drink. I had a sinus operation, 2 1/2 hours up my nose then didnt recover in recovery. They said the stroke didnt occur because of the OP.. I have just had a slight cold for a couple of weeks and the mucos tastes so salty. I have been spitting it out as it tastes so bad in my throat.. Of course I am on various meds. I do see the stroke specialist in 2 days time so I will check with him if its meds, the stroke nerve damage or something to do with the sinuses. As many others have done I have brushed with various options of toothpastes, gargled, flossed, mouthwashed. Have sparkling teeth but salty mouth..  I will bookmark this page and if I get answers I will repost. My friend said at least I dont  have to salt my fish and chips. night all :-)

Well, I've only experienced the salty taste in my mouth now that I have started using alcohol-based mouth wash as well, just like you. Have to add that since the mouth wash, my left parotid gland seems to have swollen and it's really painful too. Funnily enough my GP prescribed the mouth wash to get rid of a disgusting bitter flavour that I've had in my mouth for months. Since the mouth wash, the bitter taste has gone but I've gained a salty one instead! so I'm going to stop using it and just hope that I won't be getting any more flavours...

I too had the salty taste start after dental work. I have several crowns being changed and they have been stuck in with temp glue for about a month now, I noticed the taste about a week ago it originally tasted metallic but today I have noticed it has turned salty. I too have a crown which kept falling out and I have have it stuck back several times but in the end got fed up so left it off. I told my dentist who said the taste could be the temporary glue as it seems to be oozing from the gum area where the crowns are situated. I still have a week to wait for the crowns to be permanently fixed so it will be interesting to see if the problem goes away.

also went on champix and now off, no smoking :) but after 2 weeks off champix this salty taste just started. Wonder if there is a connection?

I switched to Biotene toothpaste and ACT "Dry Mouth" mouthwash and the problem is pretty much gone.  Turns out the sodium laureate (sp?) that makes toothpaste foamy when you brush is a major cause of the salty-mouth problem.

I have this too, it is really distressing. I found out in my case it is a rare side effect of some meds I was taking (Lamisil/terbinafine) and that I may have this for ever. If any of you are taking anti fungal meds that may be what is causing it, look up lamisil side effects online.