I started with the salty taste on the inside of my left cheek only. It feels like I am swishing sea water in my mouth but only on the left side. The only new thing I am doing is drinking iced coffee all day which I make at home. I am seeing my dentist next week and will ask him. Oh, and I'm on a new med so I'll ask the dr. but I read the side effects and salty mouth was not on it.

Hi 1 am having the exact same feelings and including painful chest on the right,have had blood tests and found nothing wrong also chest xrays and found nothing.So am thinking like you having allergy tests and a brain scan as nobody has an answer for me that is causing my problems.

I developed a salty taste in my mouth 5 years ago following a routine cleaning of my teeth. I went back to my dentist and complained so he scraped all of my teeth and the problem was cured immediately. I am now suffering from the same problem but this time it seems to have been caused by something else, however I am going to the dentist to have my teeth scraped again but in the meantime am drinking lots of water which did give me 48 hours relief from the problem. The minute I stopped drinking water it came back. I also changed to sensodyne toothpaste which seems to help. For me it is the consumption of water (lots of it) and scraping the teeth which provides the best relief. I agree that it is a horrible condition.

thanks for the information,it is an horrible feeling as everytime i eat it tastes of salt,so will try every method possible to get rid of this.

i have this problem also its getting worse white mucus & my nose . at first my doctor was treating me for hay fever been in & out of work . the mager attacks started last week in july & getting worse have been to my doctor & hospital i have no infection they have no idea . my tongue very sore &lips cant even chew gum it burns at first i get small headache sick stomach &fell juiet bad cought starts & then mucus starts it can last up to 20 minutes have to keep spitting for maybe an hour then i exausted. hospital recommened me to see respitary consulant so hope to get appointment this week cant take much more it takeing over my life cant go out in case i get attack i can have 3 in a day & they last for hours please help

I have had all of my teeth scraped and the problem was immediately relieved (I could almost feel the salt being scraped away)..my dentist also advised taking some antibiotics/antihistamines in case of a post nasal drip from sinusitis..I took both to be on the safe side..I also diverted my mind from all thoughts of salt which helped..it is a very strange disorder which seems to strike all age groups though I do not personally know of any one with the affliction..except I did hear of one individual who developed it and was later found to have a brain tumor. However I do believe that in most cases a solution is found though the cure varies from person to person.

hi im gonna try the honey i was using toothpaste with baking soda and i hardely drink water so i throught the paste away and now drinking more water and i saw ur post with honey and now trying to find thsi honey coudl u tell me if this honey in local stores?

sometimes, this brine taste in your mouth can come together with symptoms like orthopnea, which is difficulty breathing when you lay flat, or you may have a productive cough, which is cough with sputum formation...if you have these then consider the following risk factors that may help lead you in direction of the correct diagnosis:

if you have past medical hx of Diabetes, coronary artery disease, CHF, hepatitis or IBD (NOT IBS) ,...IBD are things like Crohns or ulcerative colitis

if you have past surgical hx of anything with your gall bladder or you had a vagotomy (transection of the nerve that is responsible for contracting your digestive muscles)

if you have a family history of gall bladder disease

if you are a excessive drinker, if you have traveled recently to endemic areas with parasites that can cause gall bladder disease, if you abuse IV drugs

rarely, there is also a disease called Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome if youre a woman who has unprotected sex, this is a type of pelvic inflammation d/t gonorrhea or chlamidyia

60% of ppl with cholecystitis aka gall bladder inflammation are asymptomatic,

if youre having intermittent belly pains in your RUQ, then you might have biliary colic, you need ultrasound of your gall bladder

if youre having constant or intermittent pains in your RUQ with fever, then you might have an episode of acute cholecystitis, for which you may require removal of your gall bladder after its is confirmed with a sonogram

cholesterol stones can also impact in your pancreas or your common bile duct

the point is, if your cough and brine taste is associated with that type of belly pain, consult a gastroenterologist, aka dr who deals with the digestive system

just to add to my post, the brine taste is usually a sign of GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease, which is when the opening between your esophagus and stomach doesnt close properly, so the acid from your stomach will regurg back into your esophagus, which is what is commonly referred to as heartburn, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the heart, but dont take this lightly, GERD over a period of months to years can develop into esophageal cancer, dont be alarmed by this, just understand that this is a possibility and even if you have symptoms of heartburn or a brine taste in your mouth, it is completely reversible if you attend to the symptoms, this can be done very easily:
1. dont eat too late in the day....what happens is you lay down to go to bed, and now all the acid in your stomach has easier access to your esophagus, if you do go to sleep, try sleeping on your belly or with your upper body elevated, otherwise, eat approx 2-4 hours before you go to sleep
2. PPI, proton pump inhibitors, are the first line therapy for heartburn, they decrease the amount of acid your stomach produces, and this will allow the symptoms of GERD/heartburn to dissipate, and so will the brine taste

and 3. for acute relief of your symptoms, antacids are nice, but for a more effective treatment, you can try to drink warm carbonated water, the kind that comes from a natural geyser, you can find it in supermarkets, just heat it up in the microwave for about 15 -20 seconds, not too hot, and you will feel the relief for the heartburn if you have any, if you dont, it will help with the brine taste if you make a habit out of these three treatments

OK, so my story on this:  For about 4 weeks the taste of salt started to build day by day.  At first I thought it was my toothpaste (Sensodyne) but after about a week and changing my toothpaste to something else I determined that wasn't it.  Day by day it got worse. All I could taste was salt and my saliva was nothing but salty and I was miserable.  Anything I ate or drank was salty.  Because I take Lyrica and one of the side effects is dry mouth, I thought maybe my teeth were developing cavities, or some other dental issue, but that wasn't the cause.  Now about the same time I started to taste the salt I developed a sinus congestion, do to fall allergy I assumed.  I went to the doctor and asked him to see if I had a sinus infection which he determined I did not.  I so wanted antibiotics thinking that would solve the salt problem.  Instead, he prescribed some Flonase, a steroid inhaler.  I used that for a few days with no change in my salt problem or my congestion.  I will mention that I do have acid reflux and it may have gotten worse after having a recent surgery, yet I didn't really have symptoms of any severe acid reflux, just minor symptoms.  I read here in this forum that perhaps an increase in acid reflux or GERD can cause the pancreas to secrete a juice that will try to neutralize the excess stomach acid and cause this salty taste in the mouth, and that taking Benedryl will LESSON this saltiness.  So, I started taking the benedryl 2 or 3 times a day and it did reduce the saltiness about 90% after 4 days.  But I wanted to try something else to.  For my acid reflux I was taking the generic form of Priolosec, or Omeprazole.  I thought perhaps it wasn't doing the job of preventing the formation of acid in the stomach to begin with so I returned to my doctor and asked for a prescription for Nexium, the name brand stuff, no generics.  I started taking that as well along with the Benedryl.  I then stopped the Benedryl a couple days after I started taking the Nexium.  My saltiness was still gone.  Bottom line:  I don't think the congestion had anything to do with the salty mouth.  I do think the stomach was producing more acid than it should and the pancreas was secreting this salty juice to combat that.  The Benedryl did lesson the problem but I think the stronger Nexium really stopped the stomach acid from forming to begin with, thus preventing the pancreas from having to secrete the salty juice, which caused the salty taste in my mouth.  I promise, I'm not here to promote Nexium or anything else.  I'm just saying that I was a wits end with the salty taste and I wasn't going to let the doctor talk me into maybe a stronger prescription of Omeprazole which may or may not have worked.  I wanted what I thought would be a better chance, so I went with Nexium.  It doesn't cost me a penny for the name brand stuff because I'm retired military and I live near several military installations.  Hope this helps someone with the same problem.  The salt was killing my taste buds, swelling my tongue, and making my life hell.  If anyone does have this salty problem and you do find a treatment or cure for it, regardless if it's different from mine, please take the time and post it here in this forum so someone else may benefit from your cure.  This forum sure helped me.   Thanks.

Someone please delete this idiots post:)

I was reading another site about my salty mouth along with back pain for me. The site brought up two things. First was secretions from pancrease, and second something called Sjogren's Syndrome, an autoimmune problem. Everything you listed ....but a huge problem with dry eyes, can be dry sinus too.
I have been dx with Fibromayalgia, Osteoarthritis, RA, Chronic fatique, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Diabetes, Chronic Inflammation, many spine issues, and bone spurs in many areas. Now should I add that to the list.
I do not have the salty mouth all the time, but comes and goes. I think I'm dehydrated, so I drink lots of water....which does not help. After a couple days it goes away. I have had a terrible pain on my left side for three days now( near pancreas) and today both flank sides hurt, from hip to rib....thinking kidneys. I just don't know...and the drs just want to give pills for pain....no answers ! No solutions!

Well I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I started experiencing the salty taste about three days ago. Like you I changed to using a toothpaste that has baking soda in it with whitening power. Maybe I should not use these anymore. Nothing takes the saltiness away. I also have a couple nodules and some swelling underneath my left jaw, it does not hurt, but it seems that my saliva has increased. I have dry mouth, extremely dry eyes, using restatis to keep them lubricated. I recently went to the doctor because I have been having sporadic episodes of vertigo. She said that I had fluid in my ears. She put me on Bactrim, anitbiotic twice a day and Zyrtec one daily, both to be taken for 10 days. I am a 69 year old female with multiple medical conditions which I will not disclose.

So, now I am searching and reading all these captions from other people having the same problem as I am. I thought this was something rare, but I see that it is very, very common to have a salty taste in ones mouth. A pharmacist told me to drink a lot of water, perhaps we are all dehydrated to some extent and causes coming from many sources.

I believe I will stop using the toothpaste, oh yeah, I also began using biotene mouth wash about 5 days ago and I'm going to stop using it too, to see if the saltiness goes away. Meanwhile I am going to continue to take the antibiotic and the Zyrtec until gone. I am going to drink more water for this and the dry mouth.

Here's hoping it helps,

Betty

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person with this problem. Mine started about 4-5 days ago. I opened a bottle of soring water and as I was drinking it it tasted like someone had put a pint of salt in the water. Threw that one away got a different kind of water and the same thing. Everything I eat which I am totally avoiding adding salt taste awlful. It feels like the roof of my mouth all over even as far back as I can touch it with my tongue feels like it's just pouring salt out. My lips are salty everything in my mouth is salty. I've had a very stiff neck and I just got over having the H1N1 Swine flu. I had the flu for about 3-4 weeks and didn't barely eat or drink anything. I couldn't even force myself.Then after a week flu free I got a flu again.So far in the last 3 months I've had the flu 3 times but, only once was the HINI flu. Then thats when the salty tastse started just as I'm getting over this last flu. I'm sure I'm dehydrated since I haven't had many liquids but every thing I drink I have to spit it out it's just to salty.Can't take zinc makes me sick so I don't know what to do.Just wanting to know if anyone else out there had the flu before the onset of the salty mouth?  Thanks!