HHow are you doing now? Just wondered since I have had it also for 4 months.

Yes, as a matter of fact. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the glue the dentist used to place crowns in my mouth.

This sounds just like my situation- Mucus and all- If you have found a way to resolve this terrible situation,  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I don't know whether my way will help anyone, but I seem to have cured myself of the salty taste, or else it went away of its own accord. This is what I did: took a good multivitamin with iron, B vitamins, zinc, etc., in it, plus an additional Zinc vitamin, some homeopathic remedies (mainly Kali Phos to boost my immune system), ate fresh organic vegetables and berry fruits, no dairy, no gluten, no sugar except 18+ level of Manuka Honey (made from the powerful natural antibiotic Tea Tree plant, which eased the saltiness and blister and bumps on my tongue immediately - which were gone 3 days later), swished hydrogen peroxide around in my mouth and also warm salt water, got lots of sleep and hey presto I'm much better and the salty taste is gone. I suspect all of those things helped.

From reading other people's posts on this subject, I suspect the salty taste I had in my mouth came from a combination of dental glue and fast food with MSG and other additives in it, as I fell sick immediately after a dental visit then travelling by air and eating airplane food, after which my mouth felt oily and had the bad taste in it and my tongue developed bumps and one white blister. I have cured myself (I'm the above Guest) via mainly Manuka Honey, zinc, vitamins and a touch of homeopathy, while avoiding all processed and fast foods and eating only fresh organic foods. I'd like to know whether my method works for others.

wow David- here from another spaniard with gerd and allergies. I thought it might be the fish since i eat fish everyday, sometimes twice -today i started an all-vegetarian diet to see if that was it. after reading your post, I ran to the bathroom and checked at the toothpaste, and YES, it is whitening baking soda toothpaste!!! i hope you're right!

I'm so sorry you are having all of these symptoms. when i was taking cholesterol lowering meds, after awhile i could not turn my head.

it was especially noticable when driving. the doctor said it was a pretty common side effect of cholesterol meds and took me off of them immediatly. keep trying doctors until you find one that gives you a diagnosis that sounds feasable. my thoughts are with you, good luck.

juliana

Hello Everyone,

Like many said, thank god I found this thread. I thought I was going nuts and was the only one with this stupid problem of salty taste in my mouth. Seriously it feels like salty water is being in my mouth drop by drop.

Now, I had Mumps 2 weeks back. I had severe swelling in the salivary glands. the whole jaw line was swollen. Since then I am on Antibiotics and Vitamin-B Complex capsules.

The salty taste seems to be coming from the upper left side, from the second-last tooth. That tooth was treated with Root Canal and a Ceramic Cap is there. This was done around 2 years ago. But I get the salty taste ONLY WHEN I LICK AROUND THAT TOOTH !!!

To get rid of the salty taste for a second, I lick the right side teeth..lol.. but it really works for some seconds...

I have read earlier in this thread that the salty taste could be because of Salivary Glands Infection OR Tooth Crown Issue OR Medicines reaction.. Just thinking which one is it in my case.. :-(

Planning to go to a Dentist this Saturday because I am feeling the salty taste really on that Crown tooth only..

Hope it is not a case of cancer or something because of the Teeth Crown releasing chemical into my body  :-( :-(

If anyone has any knowledge about this, please share....

Well, here I am, yet another salty sufferer.  It started with me a year ago. I have now read every post, and I share some symptoms with some who have posted, others not so much. I had dental work done AFTER the salt taste began, hoping the dentist was going to find out what was causing it. The one thing we all seem to have in common is the frustration. I have been tested for H. Pylori, Sjogren's Syndrome (negative), thyroid (just fine with the medicine I have been taking for years). I took a course of Prilosec w/no difference. I had a biopsy done on one of the bumps on my tongue (HOLY COW!!! Talk about PAIN!!!) with inconclusive results, had an endoscopy last week which showed nothing...

What I have learned: The foaming agent in the Aquafresh toothpaste made the bumps on the tongue much worse. I switched to Tom's of Maine...they are now smaller and not as sore.

After reading all these posts, I will try zinc supplements and I'm going to look into that honey from New Zealand.

If any of you have had any success in getting answers, I hope you will post.

Maggie

I have no idea if it is related to the salty taste, but after my bout with tongue blisters and a salty taste in my mouth, and curing myself with zinc and Manuka honey (apparently), I suffered from lower back pain for several months, which I suspect was from diverticulitis. Now I fast on organic juices and vegetable soups when I start suffering and take good multivitamins and am trying out fermented foods (be sure they really ARE fermented) - things like sauerkraut (made with salt and water, not vinegar - the latter will destroy its good effect on the body) and plain kefir (unpasteurized is said to be best). These things seem to be related.

I am also suffering same as everyone else.

I have small (like, 1mm) red dimples appeared on the front of my tongue. Only, like, 3 of them. Not sure if related.

For what it's worth:

1) I have never smoked or taken drugs
2) I have never had ANY fillings or crowns or anything else.
3) I have never had any head injury
4) This just started going on only about 6 days so far
5) I am so nervous that this is it forever and I will never enjoy food again.
6) The idea of eating anything salty like bacon makes me feel ill as all other plain food already gets way over 'salted' the moment it enters my mouth :(
7) I have never had a cup of coffee or tea in my life

When I drink water it tastes normal for about 1 second. Then tastes salty again. Basically like I've taken a salt sachet and just emptied it into my mouth. My mouth is also going seriously overdrive on saliva production.

Sorry, not much help, but to let you know you're not on your own.

Hello everyone,

After posting here about my problem earlier, I tried to forget about it. I tried to ignore the taste in my mouth. I know it sounds impossible but seriously don't remember when the salty taste went away :-D

Now the condition is over... water tastes plain again.. sweets are sweet again... salt is just salt :) and to my delight, I am able to point out if any dish has less than normal salt in it :-D

Guess my salt block has finally melted away :-D

I hope everyone's trouble with this salty taste goes away sooner..

I didnot use anything special. But I might have started drinking more water.

The cause in my condition could have been (90% sure) the Mumps I got in March 2012. Mumps is a problem of the salivary glands. So, I think the salty saliva was a aftermath of Mumps. Slowly the salivary glands recovered and hence the taste in my mouth.

God bless all..

:-D

The mumps angle is interesting. I had a serious case of mumps when I was age 23 and I am male. It wasn't fun!! But the salty thing didn't show up until I was about 55. I'm 69 now, and the problem is only occasional and quuite mild compared with earlier episodes.

try for a checkup of your salivary glands...though mumps cases so many years ago should not affect but still .. its better to get a checkup done.

Ahh, you know what THAT would mean! I'd for sure be prescribed something - something that would not correct the problen and would also have side effects of some sort! Why would I want to do THAT?? I have zip trust or faith in establishment "health care."