I personally think it may be to do with 'pronamel type' toothpastes and/or 'advanced' sensitive mouthwash. (i.e. high nitrate and/or detergent chemicals altering the flora of the mouth). That is my experience.

Any one with this should know the problem relates to an electrolyte imbalance problem with common problems caused being acidosis, sinus problems, post nasal drip normally with a chronic non bacterial cough, going to the toilet a lot and dehydration.
You have to be a bit of a detective to find out the cause.
A lot of pharmaceutical drugs can cause this problem read the "side effects" very carefully and do a search on each drug you take to see if other people have the same problem.
Look at EVERTHING you put in your mouth and ingest especially the innocuous thing like toothpaste, mouthwash, anti-acids, zinc lozenges, cough sweets, dental cream. Things like zinc (dental cream, cough sweets), bicarbonate of soda, Calcium based anti-acids and chemicals in mouthwash (all bad). Look at any supplements you are taking and any unusual food you are eating. If you cannot find the problem when these are checked consider the water you are drinking, any false teeth (especially metal based), any metal fittings in your mouth, metal jewellery, anything you put on your skin (makeup, deodorant, creams, cleansers, clothing).
If you have possibilities then try them to see if the condition improves but remember it could take over a month for your body to show signs of improvement.
Do not assume that it cannot be even the simplest thing because it will be 90% of the time.

I have read all these problems and I have much in common and tryed every thing every one has. To make things short and sweet get tested for Sjogrens Sydrome. It can't be cured but can be treated, it can graduly get better or worse. Over the period of better than a year my salty test finally went away but I still have minor mouth dryness and dry eyes which can be treated with over the counter stuff. Get tested for Sjogrens, it is only blood work. I self diagnosed my self and went to the DR and asked for the test after going to three different Drs and three Dentist and they couldn't answer why the salty test.

I Pray this helps some one if only one, I was at my wits end.

I have salty taste in mouth all the time. Have seen dentist and had fillings, but all the time salty taste  Any cure U know of

For 2 1/2 months, since I moved from NY to NC, 1/2 mile from the ocean, I've had a dreadful taste of salt in my mouth.  At first I blamed the water softener, so I only drank bottled water.  Now, it's worse.  Constant and perverts the tastes of all my food, so I don't want to eat.  I can't find anything on line to suggest that perhaps living so close to the ocean may be the reason.  I don't smoke, take prescription drugs and am otherwise in good health.  Anyone have input?

These all sound like symptoms of the fact that you have bronchitis.

Now add a burning mouth and lips to the salty taste and you will be suffering as I have for almost 2 years. I too have sore jaw, swollen throat, sores on tongue it hurts to eat and at times even drinking water. I have been treated for depressed for over 20 yrs. But now I am starting to experience symptoms of depression. Basically I go from bed to sofa to bed most days. Help!!!!

thank you...I'll try zinc. I'm already low in zinc and just started a food plan with alot of protein.

I'd stop the Lavoris. Can't hurt.

My husband and I started using Kosher and Sea Salt years ago for all our cooking except for baked goods. I noticed every time I made baked goods I would have a salty taste in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of (I was using iodized salt). Iodized salt has a metallic taste and can cause a burning sensation in the mouth.

U people are pathetick i am looking for cure not ur experiences without cure for salty taste in mouth

I feel saltish in half of my toungue feeling afraid

I am expericing the same thing. I am sure it's from my sinuses. It does not matter what I do, I cannot get this taste out of my mouth..I hope your mouth feels better soon...

I am having the same horrible problem. I had a colonoscopy last week & some polyps removed.
Still no change.
I am taking EFFEXOR who is supposed to generate dry mouth syndrome. I will try to quit & probably will have to cope with withdrawal....
Try psyllium husk available in health store.

Everyone on this post needs to get a simple blood test for Helicobater Pylori.