Hi, my younger brother is 19 years old. He had fever and headaches for two days, so we took him to a hospital. He was diagnosed with herpes encephalitis. I don’t know what is he going through, and I would appreciate if someone could tell me a few things about this disease.

Hi, my father-in-law had herpes encephalitis a month ago. First, he had only headaches and fever. Then he started having some symptoms like aphasia, seizures and paresthesias. Fortunately, the doctors discovered on time what was wrong with him, so he got a proper treatment. EEG showed some abnormalities like slowing diffuse, which is common for herpes encephalitis. He was receiving acyclovir, infuse each dose over 1 hour. The treatment lasted for two weeks. If you don’t treat this disease, it could be very dangerous. In cases when people don’t treat herpes encephalitis, the mortality is about 70%. If your brother has a good hospital care, medicines and infusion, he will be just fine.