My GI doctor had me go in for a Hidascan to see how well my gallbladder was performing. The test was to be broken down in to 2 parts: Part 1 - 1 hour scan with tracer through IV; Part 2 - 30 minutes of scanning after receiving CCK. My gallbladder never appeared after the first hour so the radiologist suggested the tech continue for another hour. Towards the end of the 2nd hour, the gallbladder appeared, but was very faint and small (smaller than what the tech told me I would see). It looked like a pin point. The radiologist told the tech to not continue with Part 2 - CCK portion of scan. The tech was initially very talkative and gave me a lot of information off the screen while the scan was up, but after she spoke to the radiologist, she came back and told me we were done. I asked her about the CCK portion and she said it was not needed. She was much quieter and more serious. I have been in tremendous abdominal pain for about 2 years. Previously had an ultrasound to look for stones (none), but a calcification was found on the dome of the liver. The tech mentioned the liver may be blocked and not allowing the gallbladder to fill.

If the scan was first scheduled as a 2 part scan and then decided at the last minute to not proceed with the CCK part, does that mean all is ok or that something is wrong and they are unable to proceed with the rest of the scan? I guess, if it took so long to get the gallbladder to even faintly appear after 2 hours, there's a reason they did not continue (the gallbladder will not work during the CCK?), but why not at least try?

I would be very appreciative of any responses by others who have gone through the same thing or possibly had the same outcome.

Just wonder if you had you condition resolved, I am dealing today with exactly same results of the HIDA scan

If your gallbladder did not fill in the 1st hour, the tech can continue to image from 2-4 hours to see if the gallbladder fills. But either way this is not 'normal.' The tech could not give the Kinevac because your gallbladder did not fill up completely with bile....like it was suppose to. The purpose of giving the Kinevac (CCK) is to cause your completly full of bile gallbladder to contract so that a measurement of how well its functioning can be calculated. If he/she would have proceded with 'part 2' the results would be inaccurate.