We have never been a lucky family ever since my child turned to drugs. Ever since we discovered it, there were fights and pleas for him to enter the drug rehabilitation programme. He tried the methadone therapy but that brought another addiction. Does anyone know what home remedies are proven to help with opiate withdrawal?

In response to above question.
From my experience, which im sad to say I been dealing with for awhile ( I keep jumping back on the wagon so to speak) but this time with all my efforts I can actually say im done with that sh*t I am 1month clean, I am not out of the woods yet but its a start. and I no its nothing for me to be proud of cus i did bring it on myself. So now i am changing it for good I am not making addiction rule my life ...ok to answer your question...

Withdrawal as you know is not pleasant ....It usually takes 4 to 7 days to get the drug out of your system. I suggest gradually if you can coming off. start with (lets say your normal drug dose is 4 pills a day) start with 3 pills for 2 weeks, not increasing the dose for whatever reason...then at the end of 2 weeks take 2 pills for 2 weeks, then 1 pill for 2 weeks and finally every 3 days take 1 pill.. then stop totally. gradual long reduction of tapering works best. The person will most likely have symptoms but they will be less worst then stopping abruptly. For treating symptoms I found over the counter dextromethorphan (its in cough syrup) It helps with cravings irritable problems that occur. It also helps with stomach discomfort, there's been investigations that it can help with withdrawal of pain meds. It is NMDA receptor antagonists. So it can be abuse and produce symptoms such as those of a hallucinations,
Also I found that Pseudoephedrine helps with the constant urge to urinate ( it has also been successful in treating stress incontinence by increasing the pressure (tension) exerted by the muscles of the bladder neck and the urethra, which helps retain the urine within the bladder.) but again be carefully when using the above med. Make sure one you don't have any medical problems that unable you to take the above meds. and 2 make sure you don't abuse them.
Antihistamine works great for irritable and restlessness. Also if possible alteast try to get out of the house go for a walk. Because exercise is another great weapon in the battle of withdrawal. Your body produces endorphins which is also what the pain meds do to a larger degree. So by producing your own will help your body re balance its self. And if you have access to sauna they are good helps you sweet out alot of the toxins in your body. But I stress strongly to go to your doctor. There are medicines that are out there that work to reduce the withdrawal one being wellbutin, suboxone. I been battling this addiction for 3 yrs now and I tried them all and to me truthfully I rather take the taper down and over the counter medicines. Because (not so much wellbutin) but others like suboxone, valium they just lead to dependence on them. Another problem I had with my withdrawal is lack of energy, motivation, chronic fatigue and weakness and low testosterone levels. I am still battling with those. I drink an energy drink through out the day and take supplements for testosterone such as tribulus etc... they don't help as much as I would like but its getting me through ... hopefully my body will balance itself out soon and I can get back to my normal self. I have been 1month off this time for good. I don't want to go through this ever again. And finally another thing that help me ALOT was watching motivational movies I like action movies and by watching them gave me motivation to get out and exercise. Hopefully this is a help to someone but I again stress strongly to talk to your doctor. He understands and he will be glad to help.

the above mentioned methods, weaning, cough syrup, and the unauthorized ad, can these be used in conjunction with the "Thomas recipe". also, where can the unauthorized ad be purchased. lastly, what advice can be given if there are not enough pills to wean as stated above.

PLEASE RESPOND, HELP IS NEEEDED DESPERATELY

I found this post by googling home remedies for withdrawl symptoms. Let me just tell you I was getting really desperate, I have even thought about suicide for days now over this evil that i am fighting. Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to try them and i will come back and let you know how they work out for me. I cant tell you how appreciative i am that you people took the time to share this information. This has been one of the scariest times in my life and to know that I am not alone makes it easier to fight through another day. Thank you forever!!!

Hey all ..... I also found this post by googling. I have been clean from OC now for 2 days but have been batt;ing some terrible depression for the past 2 days ha. Any tips whatsoever would be the greatest of help in terms of the depression. Many Thanks.

i am as frustrated as everyone else here by the withdrawal symptoms i am experiencing coming off hydrocodone. i think the worst symptom for me is the restless legs. mystupid doctor gave me the drugs for headaches and now she for some reason has decided to cut me off. thank god i found a few in the bottom of purse and am trying to use them to wean myself off. what scares me the most is getting more and getting back on them. it is so embarassing to admit this out loud. i know my significant other would freak out and just watch me like a hawk if i totally admitted it out loud. *sigh*
it sucks, i am so mad at myself for getting myself into this mess. i have never been addicted to anything... i am going to try the cough medicine i think.
let me know if anyone else has any ideas for me. i sure would appreciate any support... %-) %-)

Does anyone have any information on the Rapid Detox method. where they put you under anesthesia and give you drugs to help end the withdrawls. We found a place in MI that does this and we have signed up to go in a few weeks but am concerned about the risks involved. My dh is taking these only for pain from an accident and had to take more and more to keep the pain down, but now wants off of them. He feels the pain he has is now caused by these drugs..we have to do something soon as he is running out of pills before the detox appt we have scheduled..

(this has been going on for years..) and he can't go through a full detox due to owning and running our company, He can't go more than a weekend out of commision. if you know what I mean.. Please help...Is there any other way that we can try now. He needs and wants this stuff out of his body.. now...!!!!

i have been off of heroin for 5 years now... but i have been taking suboxone for 4 of those years.. i dont know if i missed my stupid doctors appointment or what..but i dont know when the appointment is.. i cant find the stupid paper it was written down on... and i dont have a calendar... which is dumb.. hahah.. but i also never got a reminder call.. and now its the weekend.. and wonderfully i have run out of suboxone for some reason.. i didnt even take more than i was supposed to either... which is weird...that i ran out. if my appointment isnt tuesday i think i will go crazy.. i am already starting to go through withdrawals and its only been about a week since i had to taper down days.. and i am starting to lose it.. i went out and bought syringes.... ugh.. ... . going backwards.. so i could inject what i had left since i take 16mg of suboxone a day.. so i sort of weaned off for a few days going down to 4mg a day..intravenously... eep.. i havent done that for 3 years..... and i live very close to somewhere i know i can find heroin... i am tempted......... to go look around.. but people around here get stabbed over twenty dollars... when looking for drugs here... i feel wicked dizzy right now.. my head is spinning and my legs are killing me.. i have no food in the apartment and i am starving but i am too anxious and cant get myself to calm down and go out to get something to eat.. which is pretty stupid.ugh.. i wish there was some way to make withdrawal vanish.. besides the obvious..

I have been a casual user of opiates for the last 5 years but within the last two have increased usage. I have withdrawl symptoms usually beginning within 48 hours of my last high and last for about a week. I found that smoking a little pot really helps to aleviate the mental anguish that addiction brings. The physical side-effects pale in comparison to the mental and emotional ones. I feel that marijuana has helped me from using the drug on a regularly basis. I can just smoke and usually forget about my addiction for 2-3 hours (plus you feel great). I don't want people to get the impression I am advocating becoming a pothead, but i think all things are acceptable in moderation, moderation being key. And it is moderation that I have struggled with in my ongoing affair with opiates. But smoking at night will usually relieve my cravings as well as help the restlessness, and put me to sleep. Not to mention you can wake up when the alarm goes off, not til noon.

I am 6 days into my cold turkey self detox program, and the last five have been, I dont know how to explain, but ill say hell on earth. I want to comment to a few people above but first... My credentials,definitely not a doctor but I have a lot of self absorbed knowledge about opiates and detox and most other drugs as well. I have ten years of experimentation with ope's roughly. Started out on hydrocodone ten yrs ago when I was 16 and, well, as of 6 days ago finished with a bang by shooting not one, but two 80 mg oxycontin followed by 4 8mg dilaudid as a normal dose to feel right. So Ive been through everything including H. which I personally thought was only a substitute for the goods. Now that I have six long days under my belt I am out of the darkness that withdrawal can leave stranded in. I noticed a couple posts up a guy was talking about suboxine, my advice to you is ween down as fast as you can, get on hydrocodone from a reg. doc and taper yourself to withdrawal. I have personally experienced suboxone wd and can tell you that 168 days of counting gnarly wd symptoms and I picked up the needle again. Its such a strong opiate, whether it gets you high or not bcuz of the ceiling effect, it still bonds to those receptors in your brain stronger than any other opiate.. which for some reason makes the withdrawal impossible, its a maintenence drug, Like methadone. Anyway I Hope you figure it out and get clean, best of luck and dont forget theres always gonna be people out there who are going through it too, So ur not alone. One more thing about the Rapid Detox program, Something like seven people have died from this and many reports show also that withdrawal symptoms still exist even beyond 48 hrs, So really why pay all that money to have to go through withdrawal and considerably risk your life. I thank you for listening to me, I will get through this alive and Never go back again.. 6 days goin on seven, im out.

I just wanted to reply to the Rapid Detox in MI question. Im from Boston, and flew out to MI in November to have the Rapid Detox Treatment for treatment of Heroin addiction(former oxycontin user, was prescribed to it also...damn doctors!). Though the Rapid Detox treatment is pretty costly, I have only good things to say about it. However, the first thing I want to point out is GET THE IMPLANT. Its not visible, won't bother you, and unless you have amazing will power, chances are your trip will account for nothing once your back on the wagon after a month or so. The staff is awesome there, and will provide you with oc untill your procedure so youre not sick. The procedure itself won't be painful, as you will be asleep. When you wake up, do not...i repeat...DO NOT attempt to do anything. You will be extremely loopy and more than likely hallucinating. Its not as scary as it sounds, just try to relax though. The rest of the day after your procedure is more or less spent sleeping. You will be very weak and tired. but you WILL NOT feel any withdrawal symptoms. The first day will be the worst, and they get better from there. Though you'll feel pretty crappy, and really weak, they load you up on meds. so most of it will be slept through. make sure you have someone there to take care of you, it definately helps. though they do have a caretaker service, its just easier if someones with you. After about 4-5 days youll feel bacto normal. But if you dont feel up to par, theyre great about the meds and will call them into your local pharmacy. I want to state again, though you will feel pretty shitty for a few days, anyone who has been through opiate with drawal and has done this will tell you, it is NOTHING compared to cold turkeying it. Anything else anyone would like to know, feel free to contact me, ****...put in the subject>RAPID DETOX. Good luck everyone.PS...6 months clean and counting!

I was freebasing duragesic gel for a couple months.. when I stopped, it was pretty unpleasant as I'm sure many of you know.

Aside from all of the other good tips, I found that masturbation helped out. Seriously, I haven't masturbated so many times in a day since I was a teenager.

-ks

MAN IT IS SO WEIRD TO SEE THAT I AM NOT ALONE!!! I AM SITTING HERE..ITS 4 AM AND I CANT SLEEP CUZ MY LEGS HURT FROM WITHDRAWEL FROM HYDROCODONE! I THINK THAT THE ONLY THING THATS GONNA WORK FOR ME IS COLD TURKEY...JUST GIVE IT UP AND STOP LETTING IT RULE MY LIFE...END OF STORY

anybody can anybody help me with advice on stomach cramps and crapping problems associated with morphine abuse? im trying to ween myself off of this stuff..... im not takin as much as much as some of you guys, like maybe 50-100 mg a daty..... but the withdrawal is still bad....im seriously thinking about going to a methadone clinic but then again i saw that movie Methadonia... so thats maybe not suchs a good idea for me personally.... well thanks for the above advice people...

I am reading this and I feeel so much better! To know, to read the exact same thoughts I have, expressed by so many others, gives me strength and reprieve from feeling so bad about myself. "how could I let this happen?" I am a junkie loser" I need to get this stuff to stop controlling my life." Thank you all for putting it out there. I have felt so alone going through this. I haven't told many people, just my closest friends and when I backslid, now, no one knows. I am not quite cold turkeying it but close. I have 6 left. I tried suboxen. It works but it is just another addiction. I take a small amount. 30 mg a day. Tomorrow 20. I expect pain but I have loaded up on Tylenol, ibrofen, benedryl, pot and energy drinks. Here I go....
Its so nice to know that I am not alone. And that maybe, I am still a good person after all.