Hey I found out that Im 7 weeks pregnant, but have VERY painful toothache due to my wisdom tooth. Keeps me from sleeping good. I have googled home remedies to help, but no luck. Ive tried salt water, baking soda, cloves, and tea bags. And of course, ice and limited tylonal.. I need help! Any tips or advice to help relieve this horrible pain? Thanks!

Hello Angela,

it's not uncommon for hormones related to pregnancy to cause all sorts of dental problems - for some women, pregnancy can trigger the growing of the wisdom teeth, if they hadn't grown out sooner. Also, depending on how strong the pain you're experiencing is, and for how long it has lasted, it might be the best to get to the dentist. You need to make sure that the tooth is not infected or inflamed. Because if that’s the case, home remedies or even painkillers that you can take in pregnancy, simply wouldn't do much to help the situation and what’s worse, the longer you wait with the dentist appointment, the bigger the chance.that tooth continues to cause you problems throughout your pregnancy.

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Hey, thanks for the advice. I am currently sick-caught it from my family. The doctor gave me anti biotics for it today- and i noticed some swelling went down and throbbing stopped alittle after I took the medication. I dont know why? I hope it continues to get better. But Im scared to have it pulled because I cant take anything but tylonal if I do..

Hi, well, if the antibiotics are helping swelling to go down than this means that wisdom tooth is most likely infected, too. The dentist will give you local anesthetic so you won't feel it being pulled out - I had my lower left one pulled because it got infected last summer. Anesthetic kept the area numb for a few hours afterwards. As soon as infection went down, the pain wasn't that big of a problem. It was manageable with tylenol - it actually healed up pretty quickly, but I guess I was jut glad the pain was gone that everything seems better afterwards. Hope it's getting better!