Hi, I suffer from type1 diabetes. Can you tell me what foods I should avoid and what should I eat? I don’t know what foods raise blood sugar and is there a pyramid of allowed food.

That’s why glycemic index exists. It helps you prepare healthy meals and keep your blood sugar under control. It also prevents complications that can appear with diabetes. Doctors have different opinions about carbohydrates. Some think that high-carbohydrate diet is what diabetics need. However, the other doctors think that the truth is opposite, because carbohydrates can quickly break down and lead to dangerous raising of sugar. It’s not only table sugar that diabetics should avoid, it’s also baked potatoes which can be even more dangerous. The best thing you can do is to eat mostly food with low glycemic index, and to reduce intake of food with high glycemic index.