My son is 12 years old and has recently started "Middle School" (we are in Europe, and I am not sure what this would translate to in English?). This means that he takes the bus to school himself every morning, and I am often at work when he leaves. I always leave a few breakfast options out for him, like cereal with milk, cereal bars or bread with some spreads. I have noticed it doesn't always get eaten, and I am under the impression that my son prefers to buy candy from the canteen they have in school instead. I know breakfast is very important, and I was hoping for some suggestions on how to get him to eat his breakfast every morning.

You mention that you are already in work when you son goes to school, but this does not necessarily mean you two cannot get up together, at the same time, and eat breakfast together. At this age, I am pretty sure the only way to know for sure that he is eating his breakfast is to see your son eat it. Is this something you have thought about?

I have to say that I agree with the previous post, though I am also aware that this is not always possible. I do remember my mom used to pack my lunch, and I would throw out the sandwich and pretend to have eaten it. I'd eat unhealthy fast foods with my mates. That's what school is all about, right? Not listening to your parents?