Hi, my teenage son doesn’t want to be seen with me and my husband. Why is he ashamed of us? We are quite ordinary people.

it is really hard to raise a kid, it is really hard to understand the teenager, but you just need to remember that once you were a teen as well and that you were going through the same thing. don't worry, he will understand one day that you guys are getting older and he will spend more time with you than before. but until that day, you really should not force him to do anything. I believe that blackmail and punishment is a really bad choice. so, if you ask someone how to deal with teenagers and this person tells you that you should not let him out, don't do that. it is a mistake. you need to be open-minded and careful because just like I have told you - raising a teen is a really heavy thing! 

Hi, teenagers act strange and you can’t predict their reactions and attitude toward persons and things. Also, they can change their point of view in a short time. My son was also always thinking that I am acting too strange and strict and I was prohibited to enter his birthday parties or his room when friends come. He was afraid that I may say something that wouldn’t be suitable and appropriate. Since, I knew that children in this period are too vulnerable I decided better not to push him to change his mind. He can’t stand any critic and it is very difficult to suggest him that he may be wrong about something.

I was abnormal as a teen according to my friends because I loved being with my mom and really didnt' mind being with my dad but most of the kids I went to school with wouldn't sit with their parents at the movies or walk with them at the store. Most teenagers just feel like their parents are dorky lol. I know I am waiting for the day my boys tell me I embaress them, most preteen/teenagers and some adults do say that at some point.

this is very normal as i do it with my parents all the time but the most embarrassing thing is that they kiss in the street whilst im about lil tip dont do it whilst around ur teenagers very embarrassing.

Also tip dont try and hold our hand or anythign llike that because i swear i want to run a mile when my mum ties i try to get the point across that i dont want to but my mum cant take a hint. THE EMbARASEMENT

Funny! My mum visited me with my aunt in bording school and I really thought they realised how ashamed I was..... they didn't untill 10 years later. Some just just don't want to see ...... the new thing is joining my brother to the Game on sunday 8°) How Ignorent can one be?!? Yes, she's single !!!! ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

It's a phase, give him the space he asks for and don't take it personally.

And by "give him space" I don't mean completely ignore him because that will backfire. Make sure you still keep good conversations and heart-to-hearts going, but accept the fact that for a little while he will want to spend his leisure time away from you and with friends or in his room.