I have a question. How do you maintain energy throughout the day? I know that getting 7-8 hrs of sleep is essential (which I rarely do), but what else do you do to keep your energy level up?

I try my best to avoid caffine, but I am a southerner, so sweet tea runs in my veins, but I have switched to buying decaff tea. I eat a granola bar half way between lunch and quittin time. Eat oatmeal cookies as a snack also. Just don't know why I'm sleepy all the time. I just started running again, so I hope that as I get more fit my energy will grow, but I was just curious what all of you do.

later

p.s. it could be my 1 1/2 hour one way commute to work, 3 times a week that kills me. i dunno though.

My advice is exactly what you've mentioned:

More sleep
No caff
Healthy snacks
Exercise

Your commute is killing you! That distance/time is a bear!

The only thing I've seen lately that's any different is when you take a break, go outside and get sunshine and fresh air. They say that that will wake you up and leave you feeling more refreshed than just walking around inside the building.

:1:
these things are all important. But I want to add that I gave up cafinee and sugaring snacks in january and it has made a big difference in the way I feel. I am no longer as tired as i used to be and my body just feels better.

thanks y'all. so do foods higher in carbs give more energy? like oranges, or i just read that carrots are high in carbs. are those foods good for lasting go-go power, or are they kinda quick burst kinds of energy?

thanks again!

later

you can't just think higher carbs=more energy. While that can be the case, more simple sugars can also mean sugar highs and lows. Basically what happens is the simplier the sugar the quicker it enters the blood stream, the blood sugar level spikes, the body releases a lot insulin to drop the blood sugar level, and then the blood sugar dips leaving you tired, maybe even shakey.
A book that I enjoyed reading on this topic is Endurance Sports Nutrition