How in the hell do people get up early (like 5-6ish) and manage to function after 1pm?? I've been getting up around 530 and by 1, I'm beat. Zombielikebeat. I'm eating, and drinking coffee, but this does not seem to help. I don't stay up late, or beyond 9pm, but hells bells, I'm so friggen tired.

This brings another thought. WTF am I going to do when I actually have to WORK? Am I going to be a no-doz-poppin-espresso-chuggin' type?

Part of it right now could be that I'm out of practice getting up early, and maybe my body will get used to it. Could also be that I'm hitting the books from 930-1230 and am tirin' out the brain and will or will not get used to it.

At any rate, I need a nap.

i've been getting up at 5:30 since school started last week....

i have found that i am more tired when i drink coffee -- sounds weird but i have more energy when i stop drinking java at like 8AM -- no more and i swear i feel better all day.

so, your challenge ms. brie is to cut out all coffee and sugar after your first morning jolt. drink lots of water -- no juice either too much sugar.

sugar and caffeine wipe me out. dare you to try.

Having a child who depends on you for every need does it for me. ;)

I've been getting up at 4:30 a.m. for years. Try to be in bed by 10 pm but it dont' always happen. Just takes some adjustment. And like Rolling Rock, I'm not a big caffiene drinker. Three cups of coffee a day, none past 9 a.m. I make my sleep time count too.... I'm dead to the world come bedtime.....

I agree with RR. Sugar and caffeine give you an "inst-rush", but you crash a few hours later. You'll feel more enegized having a multi-grain bagel/fruit (which has some sugar, but not refined sugar) and lots of water vs. coffee and a doughnut for breakfast.

Sheer determination and keeping busy.

Staying busy/active is a big help. If I'm at home, like on a weekend and I get up early I have to take a nap, I can't stand it I'm so exhausted. But I get up at 4:30-5:00 most work days and have yet to fall asleep (or really be that drowsy) at work. :shrug: I hadn't thought about the caffeine thing but I think that could be true for me too, I only have a cup of coffee when I get here in the morning. Weekends? Its a diet coke free for all....

You have to go to bed at a reasonable time to get up early. I go to bed between 10-11:00 p.m. to get up at 5:45 a.m. If I get up at 5 I have to get to be at the latest at 10.

ok, I will try to lower my caffeine intake, maybe eat some oatmeal or something too since that is handy.

thanks for the tips!

I do just like that man, except for a few years, I used to get up at 3:40AM. 8O

Relax. Just do what the rest of us do. Call a staff meeting and discuss mission statements or something.

I try and keep a little blood in my caffeine system.

I don't drink coffee after noon. And I definately feel more tired when things are slow. Naps aren't bad!

You just get used to it. I get up at 4:50 am on most days to run, and am in bed by 10.

In bed at a decent hour, and:

practice and necessity. You do what you have to do. :)