what are some ways that you guys use when you have/choose to wake up to go run/whatever early in the morning. Thanks.

What worked for me to get in the routine of waking up early was:

1. Put the alarm clock slightly earlier than you're used to. Let's say, if you usually wake up at 8am, then put it at 7:30am for a week and so on.
  2. Put the alarm clock far away from you and as loud as you can (so you'll have to wake up and turn it off). Also, use the most annoying ringtone you can.
  3. Start going to bed earlier as well, but since you have to make a habit out of it, start by just 10min earlier and so on. 

Hope this helps.

I don't know how it works but I found when I was a teenager that I could easily control what time I awoke by simply concentrating on the time I wanted to get up as I was going to sleep. It works for me every time and I told my son about it when he wanted to get up early once when he was a kid and his mother was away for the weekend so she wouldn't be here to wake him up. I didn't own an alarm clock for obvious reasons and I dam sure wasn't going to get up early myself to wake him. He didn't believe me but it worked. The only time it gets messed up sometimes is when we have the stupid time changes twice a year.

Alarm clock?

I'm up by 6:00am almost every day. Just sorta wired that way.

I get up most weekday mornings at 415.

No real trick, I think its just a genetic thing to be a morning person.

Get to bed at a reasonable hour the night before.
No snooze! Get right up and ready when the alarm goes off, you'll feel less tired later
Set your alarm across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.
For runs, have your shoes/shorts/whatever laid out. For me its easier to when I don't have to think much in the morning.
Don't allow yourself an option out. Just like you have to show up at work, you have to get this run done.

For me the beginning steps are usually groggy but once I'm warmed up its well worth the early wakeup.

lol thanks. Yeah i meant like how do u get yourself going earlier in the morning. :D 8)

cheryl, u r right on the moolah. those are exactly the things i do to get up. i tell myself the night before i am going to get up and run. its the first minute that is the most important (for me anyway). once i get my butt moving off the bed, and take 2 steps, i am good to go! (boy, those first 2 steps are a doozy tho...lol).
Kel

2 alarm clocks. 1 next to my bed that I snooze for 30 minutes and is set 10 minutes fast so I have to do the math in my head. 1 across the room set at the exact time that I HAVE get myself out of bed to get it. It worked. I did it all year with my earlier hours. If I could have only gotten up at 6am, instead of 5am, I would never needed both. For some reason any hour before 6am is very difficult for me to get up without a lot of help. I'm sure I just need to get to bed earlier. I don't see that happening.

wake up and go right outside and sit either in the sun, or if it is still dark, in the dark, with a cup of tea or something warm.

or, if you are like me, turn on the cold shower and throw yourself in before your mind and body can protest

Get an obnoxious pet, let a big St. Bernard that has to fed at the time you get up and keep the food outside. That outta work.

Is it a good idea to shower before you run to wake yourself up?

Thanks
plp556

I got one to rhyme with the 'no snooze'... no booze :P Really, though, if you wanna get yourself in absolute slot racing groove, no booze, no caffeine, get to bed at the same time everynight and I guarantee, you'll get up at the same time everyday. I use my running watch alarm...we all got them Have your running stuff laid out the night before. I hit the bathroom and am out the door in less than 10 minutes typically. Fergit food, stretching or talking yourself out of it. Just lace 'em up before the brain gets cleared out. It works 8)

Lately I just wake up late, run ANYWAY, and get to the office at 9:30. So what?

(Tax season is different: I wake up early, work twelve hour days, and maybe run 15 miles the entire month :( )

I don't. I run after work.