Hi, I am a big girl, 5'4" and 205lbs. I am very active, work out about 5 times a week, cycling and weights. I recently decided to get into running. I've always loved it. See, I wasn't always such a big gal (gee, ten years ago I was 85 lbs lighter) and I used to run quite a bit.

Anyways, I'm setting a small goal, to finish a 5k. I ran in one about a week ago and I could only run about half, then had to walk. I ended up running and walking the rest. My problem I discovered, was not my heart or lungs, or even muscular stamina. Those were fine from lots of vigorous, high intensity cycling. What stopped was the EXTREME PAIN in my calves, shins, and ankles!!!!! My ankles swelled up like ballons by the next day!

I assume this is due to my weight and pounding it onto two regular sized feet straight onto asphalt. Now, I do have good pair of shoes, Adidas Supernova Cushion.

Now, I sorta figure the only way to get my lower legs into running shape is to just keep running. But, if anyone out there is a big person or has experienced this sort of hobbling frustration of my efforts, please advise on how to adapt. The rest of my body is loving this.

Please, no advise on losing weight. I can figure that one out myself. Besides, if 8 hours of exercise a week, consistently, over the past year hasn't done it (haven't lost a single pound) then I accept that I will just be big. But I don't have to be unfit and big!

I had a bunch of trouble when I started running too. So I looked around and asked questions just like you are doing. Then I began running by using the Couch to 5K plan. It's for those of us (me included) who never really got into running before or haven't been in it in awhile... Hope that helps!

Here's the link:

Besides, if 8 hours of exercise a week,
consistently, over the past year hasn't done it (haven't lost a single pound) then I accept that I will just be big.

I wouldn't necessarily accept being "big." It sounds like you want to change your body for the better if you are excercising and running so much. Many of the posters here have already been in your shoes. If you are seriously excercising 8 hours a week for a year and you haven't lost a single pound, then most likely you need to look at your diet. :twocents:

Good luck!

I am sorta following that Couch to 5K plan. I skipped the first month because I am already very CV fit. But I guess maybe that plans takes in consideration things like joint and muscular pain.
Thanks for the link, though!

Oh, you're a Tech grad, right? I think you guys/gals have some bragging rights in Brooking.

I metriculated out of LSU and have only lived in GA for 2 years but I've become a Falcons fan. For some reason they've stood out for me more than the Saints ever did (and I grew up watching them!). Maybe it's because Dunn comes from Baton Rouge and I remember when his mom was killed and the community came together so that he could go to school and now he gives back. And now that they have Lavalais I am really excited.

I promise you, it's not my diet! I like a good beer and all, but I don't drink it all that often. More than likely I just have the same sucky metabolism that my dad has. He's 60 and has been active his entire life. But, like me, he started gaining weight in his lat 20s and never was able to get rid of it, despite care to his diet and consistent exercise. He's a diabetic so there might be something to be said about the so-called "pre-diabetic" metabolism. His mom was a diabetic, too. I AM hypothyroid, so maybe that has something to do with it, too.

But think about it, with as much as I exercise it would take quite a bit of food to get to 205 at my height. And I KNOW I don't eat like that! I don't eat junk, sugar, simple carbs. I DO eat high fiber foods, whole foods, and lots of lean meats and veggies.

I think the world needs to accept that some people will always be big. My husband's dissertation (in Exercise Physiology) is on the effects of exercise on BMI. And he's finding no significant difference in pre/post BMI after 16 weeks of training, regardless of initial BMI. He HAS found that all the CV measures of fitness, ie, blood flow, bp, hr, vessel response, etc are the same between those with high and low BMI after the 16 weeks. So far, his conclusion is that your fatness as measured by BMI is not a big factor in your health (this is not for the super-high BMIs like in the 50s, for me that's another 100lbs). He's finding the biggest factor in CV health is activity level, not bodyweight. Makes sense to me.

Sorry for the ex phys lecture. As much as I complain about my weight to him he always pulls that out as to why I should stop worrying. He doesn't understand the part about being big that really bothers me...that society doesn't like big people and assumes I must never exercise and must stuff my face with Whoppers. You assumed my diet was bad. It's okay, I'm used to it, but it sucks.

Thanks for the welcome, though. And I am going to keep exercising, even if I never lose weight.

Good for you, girlie!! It's nice to see someone more concerned about their overall health than the size of their ass. ;)

I was a little heavier than you when I started running four years ago, the same height and about 215. I had been active all of my life and after getting sick 9 years ago and being erroneously put on steroids, I ballooned and am still struggling to get the last of the weight off. When I was first running, it was torture. Everything hurt because of the weight and the extra stress on my joints, and a lot of it was the shoes. I hope you were properly fitted at a running store, where they can check your gait, pronation, etc and get you the correct ones. I went through five different styles before I found what works for me now. I tried the "big runner's" shoes, which are mainly motion control, and that was apparently too much support and caused as much pain as improperly cushioned shoes. Just get a good fit is all I'm saying. Add insoles for extra cushion if you need them, and be patient. It took me a long time to build mileage and endurance again and if I tried to do it too fast, I got injured. Spent 7 months on the bench 2 years ago with multiple stress fractures from doing that.

Stick with the C to 5K, it's a good solid plan with room for gradual buildup.....gradual being the operative word here. If you push too hard too soon, especially with your added weight, you WILL get injured. Otherwise, it'll come and you'll be glad you did it right when you aren't forced to bail from race after race that you already paid for because of injuries that could have been prevented. Got several t-shirts from been there done that! :?

As far as the diet, I thought the same thing, but I was thinking of it more in terms of not eating enough to keep up with your exercise level and thus keeping your already sluggish metabolism at a lower rate. I'm sure your hubby could give you the e.p. explanation as to why this is as detrimental to weight loss as overeating, but that was my first thought. Having struggled for years with eating disorders, I can fully attest to how screwed up your metabolism can get when you don't eat enough. Sounds contrary to society's diet mentality, but it's true. But in any case, you know better than any of us if you're eating enough, too little or too much, I think anyone who'd make a suggestion about that here would be trying to help, not criticize. Just my :twocents:

And welcome!! :wavey:

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement!

I know that sonnylax wasn't being critical. Most people aren't. In fact, I find most people are trying to be helpful. But I've had it up to my ears with doctors, when I go in for my yearly, who just don't believe me when I say I eat a healthy whole food diet. He's still trying to be helpful, though.

I didn't get fitted for shoes at a running store. I got on Runners World and looked up their criteria. I'm a neutral, mid-sole runner, with a lighter gait rather than a pounding gait (for my weight, I mean). So, I went for a high cushioned shoe. It has helped compared to the shoes I was wearing but I hadn't thought to get outfitted.

You're right about pacing my training, though. It's my nature to push through discomfort or pain to "Just do it". But when I start running and I plan for 1/2 mile at a time, I get to the end of the 1/2 mile and I tell myself, "Come on, your ankles are only a little sore, keep going, this feels GREAT!". So, I go another 1/2 mile and then my ankes fail and I have to hobble home. Then they swell up and I have to take the next two days off..... So, I'm learning my lessons the hard way (naturally..).

And I do have to take care to eat enough. There are days when I bring my meals to lunch and then forget to eat them because I get busy. 4pm rolls around and I realize that I haven't eaten since breakfast. Not good. And then I rarely eat after 7pm so then I've eaten breakfast, at 6am and dinner at 6pm and that's it. Not even 1000 calories. At my height and weight, for weight-loss, I need to eat about 1800 cal a day. I think I do it right most days, but there's about once a week were I get too little (Mondays!) and about once a week (usually during Saturday college ball games!) that I get too much!

Welcome!

I think I'd go with the c25k plan. When I took up running, again, several years ago I used it and was in great shape cardio wise. I was looking for something easy and quick to do on the days I had to work and go to school. I think I may have skipped a few weeks, but didn't jump too much because I needed it to become a routine, and give me the gradual build up so I'd stick with it. Also, running requires more than cardio strength. Your bones and ligaments have to adjust to the pounding also. If you're swelling that badly, I'd try backing off some, seeing where your threshold is, then progress from there.

I'm thinking I need to just chill on the pounding and let my relatively small ankles get used to it. It's hard, though, because it feels great everywhere else!!

Thanks for the tip. I like hearing I'm not the only born-again here!