Ok- how long did it take you guys to not absolutly dread running?? I'm about in the middle of the "Couch to 5K" program and i seriously hate every second of it. My whole body hurts when I run, I keep a steady breathing pattern, and i cannot seem to keep my mind off of the pain my body is going through...I though these things would pass after the first couple weeks but it's been just a little over a month and I still hate it just as much as the day i started...Does it ever get better???

It takes a couple of months to get into the routine. Once you start seeing some results it should get easier for you

What kind/types of pain are you having?

Perhaps it can be something simple that some minor adjustments will take care of

It will take time for your body to adjust. Don't give up. I've been running for a few years and there are still days every now and then that I hate it too. It gets better.

I started with the C25K in March of this year. I too dreaded running. Now I look forward to it. In fact, last Saturday I finished my first 10K. Keep going, it gets better. Make sure you have the right sneakers for you... I started off with the wrong sneakers and had lots of pain. I went to my local running shoe store where they measure your stride for the right sneakers, and ever since I haven't had as many problems!

:wavey:

Someone told you this running thing was fun? It will get better, it varies for each of us. Once your legs and cardio get on the same page, things will improve. For me, it seemed to happen overnight. One day, I was struggling along, and the next run seemed so much easier. I hope that happens for you soon.

stick with it, meggy.

anything worthwhile won't come easy.

Meggie why did you start running in the first place?
If you hate running today as much as the day you started perhaps running is not for you. Why not take up swimming or cycling.

Then as COACHMARCOS said, anything worthwhile won't come easy.

Could it be the program you are running? Remember these programs are only guidlines; nothing is set in stone. Take four or five days off and start in again, perhaps that will help.

maybe you're pushing too hard so take a few days off and then get back to it. i'd hang in there to at least finish the C-5K program. see how you feel about it after that.

what mickey said too -- make sure your shoes are what your feet/gait need. if your shoes are wrong for your running style and foot, it will make the initial physical adjustment alot harder and could even cause an injury.

good luck. i'd hang in to finish the program meggy.

Keep it up and dont give up. It took me two years till i didnt hate running. You might have club feet like me and need show arthitiscs (i probably didnt spell that right...). I threw out my back twice and pulled my achilles tendant twice b4 i got good ones. I was taking and hour or more for 5k b4 i got em. That might be ur problem too. Keep it up though! You can do it!

wow guys...thanks....And I'm actually pretty happy to say it is getting a little easier...I did go get my feet fit for the "perfect" running shoes and all that jazz, so I actually love the shoes I have...It's not that I have pain in a specific area, it's just more that I've been so out of shape my body doesn't like this new adjustment. My main problem right now is side stiches...No matter what I do-believe me, i've tried all the different methods for getting rid of them- I get them almost every run. For the most part I stick it out and keep going, but there are some days where simply can't keep running or sometimes even walking through the pain...However, I have noticed that they are starting to get shorter and a little less painful, so we'll see....I'm still not loving running, but hopefully it will get better....I'm thinking about getting an ipod soon so i can listen to music while i run to maybe get my mind off of the pain....Oh-by the way- someone asked why I started running and I think it's because it's something that I feel like no matter where I am or how old I am I can always do, and I want to get in shape now so that as I get older it doesn't get harder for me to stay healthy. I am only 17, so I would like to start it now as something I can do forever. I would love to acomplish something big like a marathon one day just to challenge and stretch myself...Anyhow...On another note- a little happy thing- I'm starting to feel lighter and healthier. It's the weirdest feeling. I don't really need to lose weight, but I would like to be more defined and in shape and I can start to feel it already. Speaking of which- does anybody have any "i want a six pack next summer" ab workouts?? And what do you women/girls do to your arms? I would really like to have toned arms...pushups??? I'm completly new to this whole excersize/athletic/working out thing. There isn't one athletic bone in my body so I know nothing. Anyways, thanks so much guys! I'm going to do this if it kills me along the way! :)

Meggy, it sounds like you're on the right track. It could be that your body is just not used to the effort yet, like you said, you went from being nonathletic to trying to make improvements, and that's a good thing. Just keep at it. I remember hating the Cto5K also because there's that one week in the middle where there is a big jump in the running times and a lot of people get stalled there and have to repeat a few times, which can be discouraging. I actually went to Runner's World and tried Hal Higdon's plan instead, and ended up doing better with that one. These training plans are guides but you can tweak them a little bit to see what's right for you. It certainly doesn't mean you're sucky if you don't finish in however many weeks they say you should. You'll get there.

Running in Charlotte is awesome, I miss it. A good friend of mine used to live there and I've been down there many times for races. It's also hilly as poo, especially if you live near Dilworth. I remember running.....what is that big hilly one--East Blvd or West, I forget which, in a 10K and thinking I was gonna die. But it's also some really pretty running in the parks and there's some great trails to explore. Lucky you!! Do you shop at Charlotte Running Company in Dilworth Gardens? Scott, the owner, is an elite runner and one of the nicest people on the planet, and his staff is terrific, they will help you any way they can. Check it out if you haven't been there already. Good luck and keep posting!! :)