Hi everyone, my name is Kelly Wells and I have been lurking for awhile and decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I am a 37 yoa w/m and my goal is to get to 10 miles 3 times a week. I am currently running 2 laps at the track and then walking 2 laps (I do this for 3 miles, just an arbitrary number I picked cause I feel like it is enough, BUT, not too much to make me overly sore). This week, I plan on running 2 laps and then walking just one lap. Next week, I plan on running 3 laps and staying at the walking 1 lap. I think if I keep adding a lap once a week, I can build up to 10 miles 3 times a week. I have no experience with this type thing, my questions are these: is this realistic? or is it too slow? too fast? I am 5'9 and weigh 185, I have been dieting for awhile now because I know a lower body weight makes it easier to run long distances. I feel I am in excellent cardio-shape because on the days I don't run, I box (and that's pretty tough, lol).
After reading several running forums, this one seems to have the most knowledgeable and helpful people, so any help would really be appreciated.
thanks,
kell

Pardon the pun, but you're on the right track. Keep increasing the tiime you spend running and keep decreasing the time you spend walking until you can run/job the entire 3 miles. Then slowly add on distance until you can get to 5 miles without walking.

Once you get to 5 miles, you'll be surprised how quickly you can do 10.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. It's good to know I am somewhere in the neighborhood of where I should be.... (I get lost easy!, lol).
kell

I agree with PH, you are doing the right thing. Slowly ramping up is the way to go.

Good luck and welcome to the forums