Is my child really hypotonic? We have just returned from the doctor and I am simply devastated with the preliminary results. Our son is 16 months old and he has been showing signs of tiredness, as if his muscles are always weak. The poor kid is just beginning his life, and this happened. What can we do to help our hypotonic child?

The best thing for now would be to stop panicking and face the situation calmly. You must consider possible treatments for your child (this, of course, if final diagnose truly is hypotonia). Also, eventual underlying disease must be determined (hypotonia itself is more like a major symptom of some other disease). As for therapy, it is based on physical treatments that are trying to compensate for damaged neuromuscular abilities.

Hi there,
Hypotonia is a state where your child will not have a good muscle mass in his body. Now the fact is that this is more of a symptom than a disease. This can indicate that your child is suffering from some other disease which needs to be diagnosed. I am not sure what your doctor told you but your son needs more test to determine what is causing this condition. You also need to understand that your son will have some difficulties with growing up so he will need all the support that he can get from you and from your husband. I hope this helped you in any way.

Best wishes,
Marco