Hello I'm 18 years old and have never been sexually active. When I was 15 this little bump spring up on the inside of my labia majora. It comes and goes always in the exact same place. If I touch it's very itchy and uncomfortable and a couple weeks ago my whole labia was swollen and I managed to squeeze a bunch of gunk out of it but the little bump was still there. It get filled with puss and it pops but gets filled with puss again. I've been to doctors and I've been given antibiotics but they help for a bit. This last time I went the doctor told me he was "stumped" he has no idea what it could be. No one does. Also I have no insurance so I can't really be getting tests until I am approved . Someone please help me :(

Hi there

Since you have never been sexually active, the following applies to you -

A common concern of women are bumps that they discover on the vulva. Before you panic, know that there are a several causes of bumps or pimples on the female genitalia and most of them are NOT contagious, NOT life threatening, and NOT STDs.

Here's what you need to know:

Cysts are common and can occur anywhere on the body. In the vulva (the area near the vagina) they often arise from a blocked skin gland. They often look like pimples or lumps under the skin. If fairly large or uncomfortable, it can be incised and drained by a doctor. Squeezing them on your own is NOT a good idea as it can cause the introduction of bacteria and cause infection. A few common genital cysts in women include:

1. Skene's duct cysts. These occur on either side of the urethra (where you urinate). You can self treat these with warm compresses, or if large, it can be opened up by your doctor.

2. Bartholin cysts occur on either side of the lower part of the labia majora, the outside of the vagina. They can become very large, like the side of a walnut and are usually noticed because of rapid growth in size and pain. Treatment includes warm sitz baths and incision and drainage if needed.

Blocked hair follicles, or folliculitis is probably the most common "bump" seen in the genitalia of men and women. The bumps are often irritated and tender. They are infected and may require antibiotics and a large incision and drainage to treat.

Clogged sweat glands can occur anywhere, including the genitalia. These sweat glands can be infected. Hidradenitis suppurativa is a condition causes painful clogged sweat glands anywhere on the body that are infected. They leave hard scars. Usually antibiotics and other medications are needed to treat. Fox Fordyce is a condition that causes nontender clogged sweat glands. Treatment includes steroid creams and other more specialized modalities

good luck