what do i do, I knwo its not an STD, and i had never gotten any pimples down ther before. But I shaved dopwn ther a couple of weeks ago and the other days noticed a zit down there so i riped it open, it hurt a bit buit thought nothing of it, buit now liek three days later it is excruciattingly painful and its now a huge bump filled like a zit, so i took soem usuakl online help about softening the skin with warm water to sooth it and coax it out, the little scab came off in the hot bath and all the pus from inside the zit came out, but hen it looked liek a volcano was growing out of there and i didn't see a hair in it. so i fugured it would get better today, but it still hurt and i look and around the new scab is more pus, so i again wet it with a damp towel adn the juice came out and the little scab came off again, i applyed alcohol to disinfect it and try to see if there was a hair in there, i probe slightly with a sterilized needle but nothing,

CAN Anyoen hel[p
will this clear up by itself it just one pimpel gone wrong i think its never happened before but also i never shaved down ther befopre that day and i never will again

I often get problems with ingrown hairs. They end up so deep under, that they can’t be seen or felt at all. It does look like a volcano sometimes, especially when I poke and squeeze. I find nothing except a lot of blood and pus and it only gets bigger after poking.

Sometimes they stay for a few months and if I don’t pick, it stays small and once I start, it grows big again.

There is probably some skin bacteria inside as well since there is so much pus, you may trying applying an antibiotic cream but in order to go away soon I reckon that you should see a dermatologist and they will probably take care of it if not immediately, then soon but definitely much sooner than you would on your own!

do they itch sometimes?

I have had one before but it didn't get infected and went away. But if pus appears it is infected. DO NOT try to treat it yourself! Go to the emergency room and there they will cut it open squeeze out the pus and treat it with medication. :-D

Did you really suggest going to an ER for an ingrown hair???

Id say an ingrown hair by no means qualifies as an emergency!

As a medical proffesional I find that obsurd. People like you are exactly why patients with real emergincies have to wait so long in an ER and why the cost's of ER visits and hospitalzation are sky high. Go see your doctor or to a clinic. BUT PLEASE STOP OVER-RUNNING OUR ER's WITH SYUFF LIKE THIS

I am a virgin. I have never had any sexual contact, no oral sex, patting, touching or anything. However, I have noticed a bump or two in my pubic hairs. Not at the same time but every now and then. I only shaved ONE time and that was maybe a year ago. Sometimes when I wear sanitary napkins, it sticks to my pubic hairs and when i remove it...my pube hairs come off with it. Could this be ingrown hairs??

I don't know whether or not you really are a medical professional (you're probably just a nurse in training or a tech) but I'm guessing neither. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I agree with the part about not going to an ER for an ingrown hair...but I also have to say, for someone who supposedly has a medical degree...you should know how to spell the word PROFESSIONAL (it is not proffesional)!!! Oh yeah, and STUFF is not syuff! I figured since you got on here to fuss at people, then I would fuss back at you for them! THANK YOU AND G-BYE 4 NOW!

miles_mayhem wrote:

CAN Anyoen hel[p

I would like to know what you did to treatit ,because I have the same thing going on. I shaved last week my pubic area and after a day in the hot yard on sunday all of a sudden this large painful spot appeared. the size of a ping pong ball. It has not come to a head but it has a very red-purple spot under the skin I cannot walk with out pain and I cannot wear anything down there. My God ,This is the most painful thing I have ever encountered. What should I do ?

my ex-boyfriend had an ingrown pubic area hair that turned out to be nearly the size of a football. He had to go to ER to get meds for pain, drainage and was told on both his first visit and another after, due to swelling, that it was "cellulitis". Just so you know it could have easily been a cyst or hernia. But based on his medical history, which he was a healthy 23-year old with no STD's, he was told cellulitis.

Yes, it can grow, so watch it and by all means, if it's larger than normal, definitely see a doctor of if it's too painful or bleeding and on a night or weekend day when your doctor and urgent care are not open, go to the ER. That is what Triage nurses do, separate the urgent cases from not-so-urgent and in my area of the Sunshine state, the only persons who don't wait must arrive via ambulance or paramedics or some other official emergency vehicle means!

I just popped one and some white creamy stuff came followed by blood. Could it really be that bad?

yeah it requires antibiotics sometimes to clear up if infected but you don't need an ER visit, i scrub with a loofah and appoly my proactive and they burst soon after.... it won't kill ya it's just annoying and embarassing and painful...STOP SHAVING IT!!!! that's what i have to tell myself...or shave once...one stroke and stop...don't shave it raw down there and things should be ok

Guest wrote:

First off to the medical professional who thought it wasnt ok to go to the ER with an ingrown hair, especially in the area it is, you seriously need to stay out of a hospital. It is your job to take care of patients regardless of how big or small the problem is. About the ingrown hair deal, I did go to my doctor about ingrown hairs. To answer some of your questions.. Yes, they can get HUGE. They do itch sometimes. They get red and hurt more than most things I have experienced. My doctor had told me if it didnt go down to come back and they would cut it. It went away on its own but it just came back. There is nothing you can really do for it. My best advice would be get you some triple antibiotic cream and apply to the area (after you pop it), put a bandaid on it while you are out during the day and let it breathe at night. I do have to say that it is great, (not that I would put this on my worse enemy) that someone is going through the same thing that I deal with. As far as cutting it, its just going to make a bigger scar and you are going to have to go back.

I don't want to be an alarmist but the way you describe this with the amount of pain and its appearance sounds like a boil. You should definitely see a doctor if you get more of the same and if it continues ask the physician to culture it to find out if it is MRSA.

It is ridiculous to go to the ER for an ingrown hair! I get them all the time. Whe the head gets soft enough, pop it, important: make sure you get all the puss out, if you see the hair, remove it with tweezers. Clean the area with alcohol, and by the next day, it will be dried up.

I to now have this problem.. It started small it was like 3 weeks ago, and I thought it was a zit so I squeezed it and nothing happened, so I cut it open slightly and still nothing came out except blood. It is almost like a blister, so I left it alone for a few days but the size didnt go down, it is not red or any other color it changes back to the color of my skin when I leave it alone, yesterday I squeezed it again and a small white head came out but that was it, and today the size remains the same, I am going to go to a doctor about it in the next week or 2 if it still stays the same size that it is now. It is just extremely embarrasing and I am hoping it will go away on its own. it isnt getting any bigger or smaller just staying the same, it feels like there is a tiny hard ball inside of it but nothing ever comes out... I dont really know what to do now. It doeant itch or really hurt, it is just annoying, it is like a zit under the skin, but there is nothing really there, the skin is just inflamed it seems like.