I had this lump umder my armpit it was very hard. The area arround it swelled up to the point I could not move my arm the lump got bigger and it bursed. Ever since that lump has never gone down and I have had it for a good while. I have been to the doctors and he said it was an ingrown hair and gave me antibiotics but i think it is more serious it will not heal and gets infected all the time. What should i do.

Hi There,

I could suggest a couple things. Your doc was probably right about the ingrown hair however, the location could pose a problem for healing. As sweat and so forth clog pores and won't allow for healing, could you find a way to cover the area during the day when you are most active and uncover it at night to allow it air? Swabbing the area with iodine before applying a bandage will aid in drying it out. Washing the area fequently with a hibitane soap (most drug stores) will disinfect and also dry it out. Polysporin cream also has a form of antibiotic and cleans. Or you may wish to visit your local emergency department where they are likely able to give you a prescription cream to assisit in healing and counter infection. Hope this helps.

I also had a similar problem with an ingrown hair. It occurred in my left wrist and forearm. The immediate area became hard and my forearm began to swell and turn red. It eventually burst and puss and blood flowed out slowly for days until the swelling went down. The skin on my arm began to peel off. My family doctor said it was probably only an ingrown hair and told me not to pick at it. He gave me this antibiotic cream which I used. I didn't pick at it for 2 days and it began to swell again. I had no choice to burst it again. I have been faithfully using the cream for the last couple of months but the wound is just not healing. I think I am going to see a dermatologist.

I have the same thing, its under my arm in my arm pits. I have been to the doctore and they gave me antibiotics and it hasn't helped. Im going to the doctors again tomorrow. Its really starting worry me becuase it started to bleed today

I had that happen to my right armpit about 4 years ago. I went to an urgent care center. They had to do an incision/drainage and diagnosed me with Hidradenitis Superative .. otherwise known as acne inversa. Try and find a dermatologist that actually is familiar with "HS" and have them check it out.

Good luck to you.

I currently have an infected ingrown hair on the pit of my leg, it's swollen and hurts so badly that it's become hard to walk. I have been using Prid drawing salve, and it seems to be working - it draws out the infection, and seems to be acting rather quickly.

This sounds a lot like MRSA. I've had MRSA a few times, including under the armpit. It is VERY painful. It is very contagious, once you get it for the first time, you have it for life. The bacteria lives in your nose. I've gotten MRSA a few times in the same spot in my armpit before too. It's always hard underneath. Next time you get something like that, show your doctor. He will probably put you on antibiotics and tell you to use a heating pad. If its really bad, it will need to get lanced, i've had to have that done a few times. MRSA is very dangerous though, it can be deadly, don't just assume it is an ingrown hair all the time, please see a doctor!

I have the same thing and it's been happening to me for years, I finally went to a dermatologist and he said I had a swollen gland in both my armpits and it's a rare thing, I forget the name of what I have exactly but it sounds like you may have that too, you can't do much about it besides surgery or some medicine to help it t go down when it gets swollen

I have the same problem. My doctor said that its a major surgery yoy have to have done to remove your sweat glands. And would be out of work a few months

What if you have type 2 diabities

I have that. Just went to dr to attend to an infected cyst, which burst. Too gruesome. Eww. Your diabetes is irrelevant EXCEPT that you will need to be very careful with taking care of keeping the burst cyst CLEAN & BANDAGED. We generally are given strong antibiotic, also. At least, that’s what I was told today. By an MD.