I'm a busy, busy, busy woman and more often than not I'll just shave my legs in the shower. I've noticed a lot of razor bumps and perhaps ingrown hairs lately and I am looking for a quick way to deal with both.

(Before anyone says anything, yes I know I ought to be using shaving cream when I shave and I will do so in the future. It was just a lack of time that made me do it in the shower just with a bit of soap or shower lotion. It seemed OK for a while so I thought there would not be any problems. I was wrong. I won't do it again.)

Bring it on, folks!

Well, I'm a guy. Can't say I have any experience with shaving my legs. Razor bumps though? Heck, yes.

You are going to want to start by using a good shaving cream and after shave to prevent those bumps from appearing in the first place. You already know that, so just do it.

Aloe works quite well if you have them already, and witch hazel is another soother. Hot compresses can also give you what you are looking for, but only right after shaving.

Finally, if the natural treatments are not doing it for you, turn to something more serious. Hydrocortisone cream.

Nuff said.

Yep, if you've already got ingrown hairs, it's best to tackle them before they start looking really ugly and causing painful sensations. Here's what I like to do. First step, exfoliate your skin gently. Then, soak a cloth in hot water and press it into the skin until it goes cold. Use a good (this is important) pair of tweezers such as Tweezerman to liberate the trapped hair carefully once you have opened your skin up with the hot compress. Then, because your skin will be red and inflamed, apply an after shave lotion for your legs and body. Done.

Alright then I should really be doing some cooking right now, but yeah, procrastinating. So here's one more then. 

One weird tip a mate gave me was to dissolve some aspirin, get this, in water. No, not to take orally but to put on the place where you've been a bit rough with the old razor. You leave it on there as a leg mask (works on the bikini area as well) for 10 mins or so and then you just wash it off in the shower, being careful to use lukewarm water. This works 'cause aspirin got anti-inflammatory stuff in it. 

I tried it a few times after being dumb enough to think I could get away with doing a quick shave with a blunt razor, and it works for real. 

Health Guru
You can also use that trick when you get a spot come up on your face, mix a soluble asprin with a few drops of water to form a paste then apply to spot for 20 to 30 minutes and it should reduce redness and swelling.

Oh really, that works? I didn't know that. Gotta try that out sometime.

Black tea bags, which are sometimes used to treat sunburn, also work for irritated skin after shaving. Just rub it on and leave it there for as long as you feel comfortable.

Razor bumps under the armpits are tricky to deal with because your arms move so much and you may make things worse as an area that is already really sensitive and contains micro injuries gets rubbed against clothes and opened up by movement. In this case, in order to prevent something worse, those hydrocortisone creams, which you can get OTC, are very helpful.

Hi

I shaved my bikini area two days ago and now my skin is raw and red and I have bumps all over the place. It's too late to change it now so what do I do now? Do tips for the legs and underarms also work on the bikini area? I am scared to pluck at it and think using products around my... would be a bad idea. What natural thing can I put on there that will not give me an infection or something and that will send the redness and the bumps away now?

Help please. My boyfriend is coming home tomorrow and this is not looking good!!!

Health Guru
Nothing will work that quick but you can try the asprin mixed to a paste and applied or the teabag just a case of trial what works for you.
Next time shaving foam/gel and a new razor and shave with the hair not against.

An ingrown hair is nothing more than a hair trapped under the skin because your follicle got clogged up. If you just mix a pinch of sugar (normal, white table sugar) with an oil such as Argan oil, you create a natural scrub that doesn't cost next to nothing. This will work on exfoliating the skin, opening the follicle and giving the hair the chance to pop out again. It creates a lot less irritation than opening the skin with a needle and poking the hair out, and will also make your whole legs look great.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaan i think i have ingrown hairs on my hands!!! shaved my legs quickly in the shower before going out to dinner a few weeks back and had red bumps all down the side of my left leg the next morning as well as a stinging feeling immediately. i figured oh well, i'll just have to wait for it to go away. which it did, kind of. my other hairs are coming back in with a vengeance now but there's like six or seven places where they aren't growing and it looks irritated. what do i do now? looks like skin has already grown over so can't imagine that creams will do anything for me. do i really have to open the skin and get the hairs out with tweezers??????

Help!!!

I shaved my legs a tad too quickly the other day. It was nice and sunny outside and I got it in my head that I was going out with bare legs and of course they needed to be smooth. Well, guess what? I ended up with a whole bunch of ingrown hairs which look terrible and red. I need to get rid of them ASAP!!! What do I do now? I really don't feel like covering my legs up while the weather is so nice.