Hi, I have a disturbing problem. It occurs on my thighs. At first I thought I was experiencing some kind of pimples. The area affected was swollen and red. Since it did not go away, I pierced it with a needle. That is when I saw a hair and realized that I have ingrown hair. Naturally, I pulled it out. Can you tell me what could be causing ingrown hairs on thighs, and is there something that I can do prevent it from happening?

Hi, ingrown hairs can really be a pest. I was facing it also. My problem occurred on both thighs and hands as well. An ingrown hair is a hair that curls and goes through the skin while growing. As a result, symptoms you described appear. My condition had a medical background. It is called keratosis pilaris. This is a non-contagious condition caused by old skin cells that get stuck in the hair follicles. Fortunately, keratosis pilaris and any other form of ingrown hairs go away on their own and are benign. However, you should see a doctor so that he could do some tests and determine the cause and the right course of treatment. Until you do so, there are ways by which you can help yourself. Shower using scrub sponges. Use lotions that do not clog the pores. Apply skin treatments that can remove old skin such as salicylic acid. I hope that these advises will help you.