Hi, first time poster, long time problem, lol. I have always had these bumps on my arms and as I have gotten older(now 28) they continue to spread. There is almost always a small, almost invisible hair growing form the bumps. I can pop them and there will be a white, solid substance that comes out. It's not like wet pus, like regular acne, nor is it like a hard black head. Just dry and white. The same bumps will continue to reproduce the substance and I have to pop the same ones. Like I say, they're mostly on my upper arms, shoulders and each side of my back, not so much in the middle, but around the back of the armpits. They aren't red or anything, just bumps that will eventually grow a white tip if left alone long enough.

What really bothers me is that my 2 year old daughter has them on her arms and face as well and they look pretty bad.:-(

What is it? What can I do about it? I can live with it but I don't want my daughter to have to deal with it her whole like like I have. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

You probably have what's called keratosis pilaris. Just google this term -- there is quite a lot of info on the web about this. In my own experience I have found that using lotion with urea in it has worked wonders, but as you will see there are several options out there depending on the type you have...

I have the same thing on my upper arms. I started getting them about 6 years ago. And I have 2 daughters and one of them age 4 has the bumps on her upper arms as well. I can squeeze mine too and get a white substance out of them and they look terrible. They aren't good for me and I am picking at them like crazy.

I have been on accutane for acne and I didn't have these at that time. But now I have these and can't stand them. What I have read about them "Keratosis Pilaris" is that pretty much there is nothing to cure them but we can try lotions.

Good luck!

I have had Keratosis Pilaris as long as I can remember, hence my username KPlady. Hate it, hate it, hated IT too as long as I can remember! All three of my kids have it to some degree. My dermatologist told me two of his three daughters has KP and you can't really make it go away. The things that possibly can be done to reduce the bumpinesss are very high maintanence. Even when I loofah with Dove moisturizing body wash on a regular basis, the bumpiness may reduce but the red spots never do. :-(

Check out this site: http://www.keratosispilaris.org

Plenty of info and support here, try the message board.

Good luck

I had the same problem and browsed at forums for the solution, and i found out some-one said that they had use some form of (MILK CLEANSER) and it worked wonders! reduced the size and the redness!! at first i was a bit sceptical, but same time desprate, and would try anything.... and omg i am telling you!! i got *JOHNSON'S BABY MILK WASH* i had them on the back of my upper thigh and upper arms. and i scrubbed away. and it made my skin so smooth and %90 of them went on my first wash :O and the reddness just went. it felt hydrated and the milk protiens was so smooth like a babys bottom! XD anywho im sure its a local product you can purchase in your nearest grocery store. Usually located in the baby section or body wash, and johnsons world wide? anyway goodluck and tell me what you think ;-)

Hi, Yesterday a friend of mine grabbed me by the back of the arm and then let go. She then said "Wait a minute" and grabbed me again. After the second grab she said to me "You must be allergic to wheat" because she felt little tiny bumps on the back of my arm. Actually I have them on the back of both arms. It's funny because I've noticed that every time I eat wheat products my stomach gets upset and bloated, I am always tired and and can sleep forever (10-12 hours at a time and probably all day if I don't make myself get up) and I have these little bumps on the backs of my arms. It confirmed what I had already been thinking, I'm probably allregic to wheat. I haven't seen a doctor about this but I'm going to try and cut out wheat from my diet and see if that makes a difference. If you're thinking how can you cut wheat out of your diet, it'll be easy. I'll replace wheat bread with rye and/or sourdough bread and see what happens. Just thought I'd throw this into the pot.

Try this website, it has lots of info on keratosis pilaris and has pictures of the condition and treatment options as well.

helpforkp.com

Hope this helps.

There is a simple and inexpensive (AND NATURAL - NO PARABENS) treatment - it worked miracles for me.

Fortunately there is a great product NOW available in the US called BIO OIL that helped me (and I've tried almost everything) This is a great product to try before going through any costly or painful treatments, though it may not work for everyone, I finally have smooth bump free arms.

WHAT IS IT
It is oil that can be used anywhere on the face and body. It was first launched on to the market in 1987 after a 20-year research program. The idea of the product was first thought of while studying water birds and how they managed to keep there feather looking good even though they were constantly in the water. After extensive research into the birds preen glad oil researchers were able to manufacture a copy of this substance which they called purcellin oil™. This oil was quick absorbing into the skin and not stick or heavy and made ideal carrier oil for Bio oil. They added the following to purcellin Oil™ to make Bio oil:
Vitamin A- known for it’s skin renewing priorities.
Vitamin E- Helps the skin heal and helps protect the some from the ageing affects of the sun (the sun is responsible for 80% of the visible signs of ageing and it can cause premature wrinkles and skin dryness). Vitamin E is also good for re-hydrating dry skin and is a good way to protect your skin from toxins in the environment such as car pollution and smoke.
Lavender Oil- is known for it’s antiseptic qualities and is know to kill many types of bacteria it is also conditions and soothes the skin.
Rosemary Oil-Has a mild antiseptic property and is known to condition and soothe the skin.
Calendula Oil- I had never heard of this one before. It comes from the flowers of the marigold plant. This oil had an antiseptic, anti fungal and anti bacterial properties. It helps cells regenerate and is extremely usefully when used for sunburn, minor skin infections, dry skin, and eczema and scaring.
Camomile Extract- Has anti-inflammatory properties and is really good at calming the skin.
I know your not supposed to add the list on ingredients but I have only included these above because I think that it’s important to know what they are so you will know exactly what Bio oil does.

Here is a fact about Purecellin Oil™. It has been recommended by the national wildlife foundation to be used on birds that had had there feathers covered with oil from a sea accident.

WHAT IS IT USED FOR
It has quite a few uses and here they are:
It can be used all over the body and face as a skin care product. It smoothes and tones the skin.
Is good at putting moisture into dry hands.
It nourishes the skin after it has been exposed to long periods of the sun.
Can be used as bath oil.
It will help reduce the appearances of scares old or new.
It can be used while pregnant as a way of preventing stretch marks or it can be used anytime after as a way of reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
Is really useful for people with eczema to re-hydrate the skin and help prevent a break out.
And is generally useful for dry skin anywhere on the body.

OTHER INFO
Bio oil doesn’t contain any animal products and is not tested on animals. It only contains natural ingredients and is suitable to use on people of any age and any skin type. It is only to be used externally and not to be used on broken skin.
It is made by Union Swiss
Their address is:
Bio Oil
PO box 232
Middlesex
UB2 4TA
UK

It worked pretty fast for me but could take a few weeks. For me this is a miracle in a bottle! You can buy it online at Walgreens.com for very little - around $10 a bottle.

I've had KP since birth. I've tried everything. My mom also has it she told me to stay out in the sun as much a possible and it would help. I tried this and It does help.

I had these same bumps all up and down my arms. They were kind of like white heads but they never seemed to go away. I went to many different dermologists and no one could prescribe me any thing that would work. Then my mom was talking to a 90yr old lady who told my to wipe white vinger from the grocery store on it each night. It WORKS!!! in just 1 day i could tell a huge difference!!! it was amazing. Just take a paper towl and wipe white vinger on the infected area each night and it will clear up! :-D

I've had this all my life but I've noticed a great improvement since following this routine for a couple of months.
Before my daily shower I gently brush my skin all over with a pure bristle brush, going in the direction towards the heart (ie the opposite direction that the hair grows on arms and legs) for about 5 minutes. I use a natural skin exfoliator in the shower. My favourite is Buffy from Lush. I follow this with either sweet almond oil massaged in whilst my skin is still slightly damp, or a body butter containing shea and cocoa butter. I also drink lots of water and take a multivitamin/mineral every day.

Hi, there's something that no one here has mentioned that I thought I'd share. There's an old nutritionist named Adele Davis who wrote a book called Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit. She said that the little bumps on the backs of arms (and sometimes they can surface on thighs and buttocks) is caused by a deficiency in Vitamin A. I had them when I was a teenager (40 years ago), and she said to take a Vitamin A supplement to replenish the body's store. It takes 4 months to replenish Vitamin A once the body is depleted. Sure enough, four months to the day of taking a capsule a day, my bumps disappeared. I have shared this with countless dozens of people and especially whenever I touch someone's arm and I feel those telltale bumps.

If you haven't tried Vitamin A, it's worth trying it for 4 months. Don't continue to take it after the bumps disappear, though, because the body can also suffer from an abundance of Vitamin A. Good luck!

We rescued a collered dove who had been shot - our vet suggested Calendula to help clean & heal it's broken wing. I came to this site to check it out and find that people are using it for small bumps - my husband has had these for years - going to try vit A and calendula on him.
A note of warning o.O Some people on the site are suggesting Bio oil for stretch marks in pregnancy - Bio oil contains calendula and is known to act on fertility......should not be used by pregnant women...if you're worried about stretch marks and are pregnant talk to your doctor/midwife.

They are tiny, thin ingrown hairs. If you pop one you'll find a bit of white, hard pus and a hair. As these tiny, fine hairs grow through the skin, they hit the tough epidermis and cannot break through. They continue to grow and curl under the skin and become something the body sees as a problem-therefore, the bump/pus.
The best way to tell if this is the issue is to gently scrub one arm daily with a loofa or some other kind of abrasive. Follow with a moisturizer to keep the skin soft so that subsequent hairs can break through. If in a week you see a difference, voila! Problem solved. If not, see a dermatologist. PS: I used to have them on the outside of my arms, elbows and on the back of my legs. Not any more!

I have this same issue...had it for years. I've not been able to fix it, but I can tell you that I moved to India for 6 months and it went away. It was gone by the second week I was there!! I think it has to do with the humidity....I am trying a humidifier in my bedroom at night...hoping it works! :-)