Can somebody tell me what keratosis pilaris is for my friend told me that my 13 years old daughter might be having this keratosis pilaris condition and she advised me to take her to the dermatologist? It is truth my daughter has this small red bumps alike spots covering her upper arms, shoulders and legs and it usually happens during the winter and when it is hot those bumps disappear somehow and I thought this is some temporary condition but then the condition relapses each winter and it is not like she feels seek for this it even doesn't itches her but it really looks ugly so do you think also this could be keratosis pilaris and if so what is this and how it is being treated? Thanks much!

It could easily be keratosis pilaris according to the symptoms you have described and it occurs in cold weather usually when the skin is more dry which is your daughter case also. Anyway this is just a cosmetic problem and won't cause no further complication regarding your daughter's health except maybe feeling awful and desperate about the way her skin looks. And as for the treatment some medicated creams are usually of help here such as ammonium lactate –you have got it in the form of cream or lotion and it is suppose to softens and to decrease the roughness of the skin caused by the keratin deposits that had actually blocked the little openings of her follicles causing her those red bumps she has. Keratin is the protein that is commonly found in human nails and hairs but when it is overproduced than you have this keratosis pilaris situation. Besides that you may try to apply some urea over your daughter's skin for urea softens dry and rough skin removing dead skin cells. That is what helped my daughter dealing the same situation but if this keratosis pilaris is much severe than some corticosteroid treatment could be prescribed but only on short-term for the possible serious side effects.

There are many ways to treat and prevent this. Even some can be found right at your household. I've been suffering this for years. But with searching and testing methods, I am proud to say that I am Keratosis Pilaris free now. I've compiled and handpicked personally some methods which are effective for me. goodluck! :)