Hi. I have a 5 years old boy. Recently I noticed rash on his face that won’t go away. It also itches him a lot and I can hardly stop him from scratching! I’ve tried many creams but none worked. Is it possible that he has Impetigo? Also, what exactly is Impetigo? How can I treat it?? Please help.

Dear, from what you’ve written, it is most likely your boy indeed has Impetigo. It is a very common skin infection in young children caused by streptococcal or staphylococcal bacteria. The rash is most commonly seen on the face but can occur anywhere on the skin and it is often itchy. The only way you can threat this is by antibiotics. So, I suggest you take your boy to see a doc to get a prescription. Also, be aware that Impetigo is contagious and can be spread through touching articles contaminated by contact with the rash. Therefore, if you have more children, make sure they don’t get it too. Also, during the treatment, make sure your sun washes the rash with soap and water and cover it loosely with gauze, a bandage, or clothing and to avoid contact with other children.