I've stoped drinking alcahol and drink other comfort drinks like hot chocolate (watching the caffine levels), herbal teas and am allowing myself to adjust to accept them. However.....I've noticed that my cravings for alcahol have increased since taking Cymbalta as well as my cravings for cigarettes, which I gave up nearly 10 years ago! To help me stay dry I am speaking to friends who are willing to help me deal with what is going on regarding this and they don't even sniff a wine cork in my presence. I focus on what I can control, such as turning my head from looking at anything related to alcahol if need be, though this is hard at times when driving by Liquore Stores, Liquore sections in grocery stores, tv adds, etc. and holding the thoughts , "See, you did a good thing, you took control of your life and turned away from looking at those things." Hang in there. You have people cheering for your success.

See my blogs related to this issue of cymb. & alcahol: Cymbalt's increased my cravings!!! And judging by other blogs this may be the case! Is alcahol the lesser of the two evils? Do we really "need" both in our lives or just feel that we do? These are some good questions that I've begun to ask myself. I've been in therapy for mental/emotional disorders for 23 years now and treasure each coping tool I've acquired. The best so far is the ability to ask myself serious questions and accept 'the' answers even though it may mean great sacrifice, but the results are worth it!

I have had exactly the same experience but have been on Cymbalta for 1 months. I just seem to drink without really registering it. I known that sounds strange but its like my mind has gone vague about the alcohol.

I have been on Cymbalta for about 2 months and have experienced a definite increase in my tolerance and general usage of alcohol. I had maintained the same limit of alcohol intake for many years and can now, since being on Cymbalta, triple the amount that I usually drink in one sitting. I have tried several other SSRI's without this happening. I am glad I found this forum and to know that it isn't just me. I am switching to another drug.
Among other side effects, my liver does not need to get used to alcohol abuse.

I guess I'm the total opposite of everyone else who has posted here. I was a heavy drinker until I started taking Cymbalta. I still drink, but by the time I start drinking my second beer, it just doesn't seem as satisfying anymore. I can usually drink no more than two beers in one day now, and the second beer is usually hot before I finish drinking it.

I have had the same issues with drinking and cymbalta and prozac before that! I think it must have something to do with the drug dulling the perceived "buzz" effect that lets one know that they are drunk, you can't really feel the alcohol the same way but you are just as drunk as ever! I have had to be really careful to not let one drink turn into a crazy night that I don't remember and end up blacking out! I am trying to limit my alcohol to just wine and beer as well because I can drink them slower and hopefully have more control! I also get the worst hangovers since being on antidepressants, it can be a powerful deterrent in itself!

I too after 1 month of taking this wretched drug have gone crazy.
I lost my wife several moths ago due to a tragic accident. I did not drink during the first 3 months of greif until I had to go to the psych. to help me with anxiety and depression.
She put me on Klonopin, Ambien, Xanax, and the evil Cymbalta.
Since in one month from taking it. I grew very aggressive, suicical idealization, 0 patience, hands shaking, extreme irritability, anxiety/panic attacks worsened, and had this enourmous craving for alcohol. Which I never had. I mean Falling down drunk binge.
I quit taking cold turkey 2 days ago. Going on day three. Still in this hell.
I am sure it might be good for others, but me it is creating a monster and will need to check myself in to the psych ward if this doesn't stop.
I have read the withdrawl from this and its gonna be a rough ride.
I was diagnosed with PTSD and after reading about the drug I should not even be on it.
If you are beginning treatment with this drug, please be very careful and keep a log about yourself. This drug was about to drive me crazy. Litterally.

I experienced the same effect! On Easter Sunday, I went to my friend's house to celebrate... she offered me a Sangria, and then another, and then another.... I didn't feel drunk at all (I only stopped drinking because the pitcher was empty)... sad, but true.

It wasn't until I woke up the next morning that I realized how MUCH alcohol I consumed! While I certainly don't remember it, I certainly didn't "feel drunk"...and the hangover was definitely NOT worth it!

My doctor told me that Cymbalta helps alleviate tingles and minor aches, which leads me to believe that the Cymbalta masks the effects of alcohol. And, since Cymbalta is so good at getting rid of the tingles, no wonder my sex drive has gone away....

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get off of this drug.

I am experiencing the same problem. I have been unable to control my alcohol when on Cymbalta. My friends have been wondering what has been going on with me and until my boyfriend did this research for me, I could not figure it out. I totally think Dr.s should be more careful With this drug.

I can't believe I am reading all this. I am soooo glad I fell upon this web site. I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 months now and always did have wine or beer.... however not to this extent. I thought it was just me thinking I am creating a drinking problem. I feel horrible in the morning, there have been black outs as well. I just have had such a hard time finding a anti deppressant that would work and this is the only one that has done a great job...... guess it's time to cut down the drinking.

Think about this guys. Cymbalta is a norephedrine inhibiter. It's gonna give you more energy. This is gonna feel different than when you normally drink and start to feel the depressant effects of alcohol. It's gonna take longer for you to relaize you've drank too much. Ofcourse, by then, you've drank to much and must suffer the consequences just like everyone else. Mix in a little seratonin inhibiter, and you've got a cocktail for an early wake-up call, no matter what time it comes. Let's take it easy on the medication and for once blame ourselves fo rnot acceptin the facts. You've taken a drug that could help you with you're problem, but you've taken on the role of an uneducated chemist, and are unhappy with the results. Are you really qualified to say that a drug is bad and that you should quit taking it, even though, you're extremely educated doctor tells you that it could help you? After all, They tell you not to take it with alcohol! C'mon! Do you guys want help or not? If you keep doing the same thing over and over and expect diferent results, then you may truly be "crazy." Luckily, that is something you can correct without any medication. Do and expect something different!!!

I can't believe I found this website today when I thought I was going crazy. I went off Cymbalta about three weeks ago and alcohol about two weeks ago. I thought I was going insane and feel like about I am about to have a coronary heart attack! I have a metallic taste in my mouth, am dizzy, sweaty, hot, cold, cry at the drop of a hat and just generally feel crappy. I was on Cymbalta for over four years and my alcohol consumption increased as time went on. I finally decided to quit it all. Now I am suffering the consequences. I went to my doctor and TOLD him to take me off the Cymbalta NOW! He gave me a seven day sample of Cymbalta at half the dosage I had been taking and instructed me to take it for one week and then quit. Oh my goodness, I "Know" I will make it but I realize I have a long road to haul before I am out of the water. I am sooooo thankful that I went to the computer and started searching. I finnaly had the guts to admit I had been drinking way too much while on this medication. Shame on me! BUT shame on the doctors for ever putting me on Cymbalta. This medication should be taken off the market.

i just started taking cymbalta but not new to using antidepressants, and the doctor said absolutely no alcohol with cymblata. so, i am not. I don't drink that often but am disappointed to not be able once in a while.

I absolutely agree with your Doc. NO ALCOHOL with CYMBALTA. Each one will harm your liver but together they could KILL it. Do some research. Everything you read about it will tell you it is toxic to the liver and kidneys. Don't mess around. If you want to drink while on an antidepressant tell your Doc what and how much you drink, what you know from researching and ask to be prescribed something else. :(

Wow, I am glad I am not the only one! I thought I was becoming an alcoholic! Plus everytime I drink a couple beers I go crazy! I do totally stupid stuff that I never used to do! I need to talk to my doctor about this! My fiance almost left me!