I googled cymbalta and alcoholism and got to this thread.

The reason I googled that combination is that since I started taking cymbalta 2 months ago. I have completely stopped drinking with no cravings.

I used to drink to self-medicate my anxiety EVERY NIGHT. Cymbalta completely stopped the anxiety and cravings. I think someone is posting alot of the negative comments here, wikipedia, other forums. Seems like the same style of posts in many places. Most posts here are just guest or one post to their credit. I dont think these posts are credible as its the top googled thread for this subject. Someone is obsessed with bashing Cymbalta and for a long time and across multiple forums I noticed. That's too bad that someone is that crazy. Cymbalta is a Godsend for me Anyone reading this thread should view it with a skeptical eye.

Why would you google Cymbalta and Alcoholism if you have no alcohol cravings and Cymbalta is sorting you out?!

The reason so many people are one time posters is because they are so pleased to have found so many other people are experiencing the same thing on this drug...

And if you look at the dates of the posts it's obviously not the same person... I also totally disagree with your view that all the pages of this thread have the same language style

Well... I was recommending it to various people after 2 months, seemed like some sort of wonderdrug for my anxiety, now I'm on the verge of a serious alcohol problem, and cannot come off this drug because the withdrawal is horrific... why don't you post again in 6 months.

I took cymbalta + lithium for bipolar II. Cymbalta definitely made me more thirsty for alcohol and unable to stop drinking. The worst thing was that I got into conflicts and became violent, something that never happened before or after the cymbalta-period.

I cannot believe what I am reading here. Drinking is something Ive done for years, but was never in control. Since taking cymbalta starting bout 9 months ago I have blacked out numerous times which Never happened in the past.

I have become an every single day drinker, which I have never done before. Once I start drinking I can not stop, and like other posters have said I do not feel drunk until its too late, with the night before dramas told to me by others.

I have been in a tailspin alienating everyone in my life.

I have ruined my finances.

I need to get control. back.

I don't know how to break this cycle, what have others done and how successful were you?

Blackouts, hangovers, drunk driving, overconsumption, acting like an a-hole. All while I was on Cymbalta. But it help my other symptoms so much I stayed on it. Not until I was on it for a couple years did I put it all together. Finally I got off all meds for about a year and was doing pretty well until recently. I am starting up again with some meds and I'm on my third day of Cymbalta and my wife and I started talking about it and decided NO WAY, not back on Cymbalta. At first I was saying, "I'll just stay away from the booze this time". Yeah right, that's what I said for two years. If you drink at all, stay away from Cymbalta plain and simple.

I have been taking Cymbalta for 2 years. Over the last 6 months I have developed a craving and liking for alcohol that I have never had a problem with before. What a shock when I googled it and found this!

What else is known about increased drinking as a side effect of Cymbalta?

I started Cymbalta 2 months ago. I love it as it takes care of all the issues I was having. I find that if I just tell myself NO and limit myself to a couple glasses of wine occasionally on it, I am fine, but any more and I get the vomits and really really drunk on a small amount of liquor. Moderation is key with this med. Just limit 2 a couple drinks and STOP!

I have been on Cymbalta for about 6 months. My desire for alcohol has become uncontrollable. I have given up alcohol for Lent before but could not this year - the craving was too intense. The Cymbalta makes it very hard to get a buzz. Fortunately, for me, I throw up before I get to the point of blacking out.

I have made the lifestyle changes that were necessary in order to decrease my stress, anxiety, and depression, so I am getting off the wreched drugs. I feel, that in most cases, lifestyle is usually at the root cause of stress, anxiety and depression. I was working 2 jobs, going to graduate school, and trying to help raise 3 young children. Trying to do all of this was in and of itself insane, and it was making me crazy.

I was taking 60mg of Cymbalta. I went down to 30mg for a few weeks. The headaches and brain zaps were terrible. I went down to 15mg for a few more weeks; it was bad, but not as bad as the first step down. Today is my first day of being Cymbalta-free, and it is going pretty well. I have vowed to myself to stay alcohol-free during this last step-down process.

I hope that I will be back to "normal" (whatever that is) pretty soon. I wish that I would have just skipped the drugs and make the lifestyle changes sooner. There was a REASON that my body was responding to my mad schedule the way that it was. I should have listened to the signs instead of leaning on the medicine.

I am not saying that in some cases there is not a physical imbalance that may exist for some people that requires medical intervention -- I am just saying that the first step to recovery should include assessing your lifestyle and making changes to it BEFORE resorting to brain-altering medication.

Also, I tried Zoloft and Lexapro before trying Cymbalta. They just seemed to make me a lifeless zombie and had horrible sexual side effects (read: loss of desire and delayed orgasm), although did not have the increased desire for alcohol like with the Cymbalta.

After watching a documentary on a woman that had been a great Mom and a loving, non-violent person. She was put on an antidepressant and after a few weeks, she killed her 4 year old twins. That took me to the internet where i found this forum. I'm in shock.
I had been a normal social drinker all my life, then about five years ago, I quickly became a raging alcoholic. I just figured it ran in our family, so I just have to quit. The time frame aligns with when I started Cymbalta.
I have been in hell the past few years due to alcohol and my obsession with it. I've been to outpatient therapy a couple of times. Went to the ER where I stopped breathing on my own due to alcohol poisoning. I lost my job, the trust of my family and the respect of everyone around me. I feel as if I've been through a long nightmare for five years.
My ex-husband, the father of my children, killed himself a week after being put on some sort of antidepressant. Totally out of character. His death ruined our lives, now I find out that an antidepressant may be responsible for my unreal drinking for the past few years.
I'm angry but also elated that I found all you folks share my experiences. Maybe I'm not the loser I have felt like lately.
Needless to say, I am tapering off the Cymbalta now, not to drinik again but to end this crazy drinking binge I've been on. I'm rather be a little depressed that craving alcohol all the time. My life is good now and I want to experience real feelings again.
Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I have been on Cymbalta for just over year. I used to be able to count the amount of times I had "blacked out" from drinking - now I count the times I don't! It's changed drinking into an extremely bad thing for me to do - which is difficult being in my early 20s and going out with friends. If I forget to take a pill I become extremely tired and groggy, feel "high" and sometimes develop a head ache. This only subsides after I take the pill and nap until it reacts. Being diagnosed with depression is bad enough - we shouldn't have to deal with ridiculous drug side effects.

I can't decide if I want to be a happy drunk or a suicidal depressed mess.

My husband has always been so happy-go-lucky but lately I've been making him miserable with my drinking. He used to not care, but after 12 years of marriage, I guess he is finally ready for a deeper relationship with me. He's also getting tired of telling me what I said to him the night before (and most of the time, it's not pretty). The problem is that during the past few years, I was beginning to accept the fact that I needed the drugs and alcohol to get by. Now I think that if I don't quit, I won't be able to maintain my marriage or my lifestyle.

I have been on many drugs. Most of them did not work and the ones that did had horrible side effects. I was hospitalized for a week in '99 with agranulocytosis (a deathly low white blood cell count) after taking Wellbutrin. The saddest part is that it actually worked on my depression.

So what do I do now? I've been dropped by two psychiatrists when I was younger and I think it was because of the hospitalization and they didn't want to be responsible for that happening again. Right now my CNP prescribes my meds. I've been on Cymbalta since it first came out. It works great on my depression, but I have to drink at least a six-pack every night. I'm afraid to go off the drugs tho.

Might try it, but it scares me. I think I would really rather be a happy drunk, but I don't think my husband is going to put up with it much longer. Then I would have many more problems because I can't hold down a job. No money, no place to live, no health insurance. I've become pretty dependent on him, and I don't want to split up because of the effect it might have on our 7-year-old daughter. Oh, so many issues. Can someone please cancel my subscription? I have enough issues.

I'm starting to feel hopeless. Any suggestions?

Thank you all. I have had the same experience the past month (drinking an entire bottle of wine on some weeknights while watching a movie which is totally out of character for me - usually a one or two glass person) just several months after starting on Cymbalta. I had told my family last weekend that it was time to go cold-turkey on alcohol.

Your very detailed descriptions are a powerful warning that I need to do just that. I wonder what else is being altered that I might not be connecting to the Cymbalta.

Thanks all. Sorry for your troubles for those of you who have had serious problems from this. Wishing everyone good health and peace

I first found this topic when doing a search to see what was going on with me.... about a month ago. I have been on Cymbalta for almost a year now, and it really did help my anxiety and some of the feeling that I was always on the verge of tears.

However, I was getting some horrible side effects such as vivid nightmares and decreased sexual functioning. Little did I know that the worst side effect of them all was not in any of the materials provided with the meds, nor by my psychiatrist: an exponential increase in alcohol abuse and use.

I finally got to the point where I was starting to drink at least two bottles of wine a day, and throw in a little tequila or vodka or bourbon.... My boyfriend was getting nervous about my blackouts and my health, and so I found this great website and topic.

While I know that its not recommended (and I've read about people having a really bad time with withdrawals), I went cold turkey off of both alcohol and Cymbalta six days ago. I have felt spacey and a little edgy, and also having daily migraine.

Finally yesterday I had a glass of wine. And the funny/crazy thing is that I didn't crave another one (or ten) afterwards.

Thank you to everyone for sharing their stories, their journey and their successes and challenges on this website. You very well may have saved my life.

I am now 11 days off of Cymbalta--cold turkey following an awful experience of attempting to huirt myself after drinking 2 bottles of wine one evening. I never knew the association between Cymbalta and alcohol. I had been on cymbalta for about 2 1/2 year--and had increasing alcohol consumption along the way.
There is history of alcoholism in my family and I figured I had inherited this problem too. I drank in high school and college--more than necessary, but then quit drinking for ~10 years.
I was started on Cymbalta for depression by my PCP ~2 1/2 years ago. Through out this time, I started drinking again--and it really got out of control. Just like other's have posted, I was drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a couple times weekly. My behavior was also out of control. I was having having rages after drinking too much and had started thinking and talking about suicide--which unfortunately, I finally decided to act upon May 21st after 2 bottles of wine. I ended up in the ER and then the psych. unit (what an experience).
While there, I was not given anymore Cymbalta--then 3 days later they started me on Wellbutrin SR. I have been home for a week now and on Wellbutrin for 9 days --but have been feeling awful (terrible headaches, irritability, quick to cry, excessive sweating, nightmares, night sweats, feel no control over emotions)---likely a combination of withdrawal from Cymalta plus side effects of Wellbutrin.
ONE GOOD THING IS THAT I HAVE NOT HAD ONE CRAVING FOR ALCOHOL FOR 11 DAYS NOW. I have started outpatient alcohol counseling/treatment--which will be helpful given my family history--BUT I wonder how much of this could have been avoided. I never told my doctor about my alcohol intake....
Be honest with you doctors AND keep yourself educated on the meds you are taking. I hope no-one else has to experience what I have been through.