I cant believe ive never put the two together. whats worse is that i have black outs almost each time i drink. and the things i do are completely out of character. we call it my jeckyl and hyde routine. Ive been on cymbalta 2 and a half yrs and never realized the connection. Now i dont feel alone.

ive had the same problem as everyone else in this forum. does anyone have liver problems from mixing the two? i dont yet but im afraid if i keep it up i will....

I accidentally came upon this forum. I've been having under the skin itching - which upon googling I found is one symptom of liver problems. Now after reading all these posts I am completely blown away - the drinking, the black outs, the no buzz. I'm on 60mg/d and probably have about 2 liters of Capt Morgan a week. It even TASTES better to me than it used to - like it;s my favorite drink and I would like to have it all day. I do restrain myself until late afternoon - then drink till I go to bed. It never occured to me that the Cymbalta could be to blame. I hate to get off the Cymbalta for fear the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

I posted an earlier comment about Cymbalta turning me into a drunkard for seven months. Psychiatrists and other docs encountering adverse reactions to a medication are supposed to report them to either the manufacturer of the drug or the FDA. Most don't bother because they don't get reimbursed for their time and are afraid of exposing themselves to a malpractice suit.

It's my intention to report the drinking aspects of Cymbalta to the FDA's Adverse Event Reporting Syste (AERS) database. The URL is: fda.gov/cder/aers/default.htm. There's a separate section for consumers so check it out and please file a report. I intend to reference this thread in my report.

Oh how I agree to all of these postings. I was very drunk most Friday nights during this summer, except when I was on duty. Thank GOD I dont drink and drive and was home all these times but I was obnoxious and an ass. My drinking had no end case a night and thats not me. I have been on Cymbalta since May of this year and its either the Drug or the Beer and I opt for the Drug as it does work. Others out there be careful please........ Greendale

I used to drink about 7 light beers a day but for the last year it has gone up to 10 beers a day and non stop on the weekends. I have been on this med for about 3 years.

I took Lexapro and wellbutrin together that caused me to about loose my mind! I had month to recover. now I take cymbalta which is great for me. As with drinking I have to watch myself too, I get bad hangovers. As long as don't have more then four drinks I am fine, but I will sleep for 12-18 hrs the next day.

I have noticed that since taking the Cymbalta (for over a year now, I think), my tolerance to alcohol has gone up drastically! I have not done any drinking for years, but I started drinking about a year ago and have noticed that I can drink lots more than I ever could when I was younger. I kind of thought it was because of the Cymbalta that my tolerance was up.

i went on welbutrin last year and it made me ten times worse. a gained a tonne of weight and uncontrollably drank 3-4 times a week.

i am on cymbalta right now; and i finally feel normal.

however i do drink allot - but i think that has more to do with my age, lifestyle and friends.

the hangovers you are experiencing are due to that fact that any antidepressant should not be mixed with alcohol as it magnifies the effect.

ALSO i'm sure it is counter acting the antidepressant and making you feel more depressed, just try to think about your mental health when drinking; only bring out enough money to drink a limited amount. and make sure your friends know to look out for you.

:$ so not a where it can be 1 glass or glasses of wine andi can have a black out, drink it to fast, and other times 2 glasses don't bother me at all. problem is you don't know when that time is coming, if you home ok if your not oh to bad has anyone had the same experience

I have had issues with alcohol in the past, but it was occasional bingeing, which I stepped away from for quite some time. Six years ago, I started volunteering at a local military club and after a few months, started drinking almost every night. I was taking Cymbalta during that time and I am still taking it. It was quite an eyeopener to read all of these postings since I too have been having problems with drinking way too much alcohol and even though I wish to stop, I have not been able to make myself stop. I am no longer at the club, but drink at home. I have never had this problem before. Prior to this starting I would only drink once every six months to a year and never had the craving for alcohol that I have now. I have also run out of my medication for a couple days and had some very nasty side effects from that. Vertigo and a personality change--I get very hostile, anxious and stressed among other things and it goes away as soon as I start the medication again. I am afraid to keep taking Cymbalta and I am afraid to stop.

I have been taking Cymbalta for 2 years and before that effexor. I stopped taking the effexor because of the long term damage. When I found out the long term damage effexor would cause I switched doctors and dropped the drug. My new doctors prescribed cymbalta. I drink mainly on the weekend(at least one night heavily) for the past 7 years. I never contributed the extreme hangovers, no energy, and blackouts to cymbalta before reading this thread. Thinking back that's when it all started. Im going to make an appointment for a LONG session with my doctor tomorrow to talk about all the possibilities. I have social anxiety disorder. What is worse.....killing myself with alcohol and cymbalta or not being able to hardly leave the house and interact with people. I am so glad people have the courage to post on this thread. I never post on anything but because of reading the previous 7 pages I cant help it. Thanks for everyone that has posted and keep keeping on! God loves you!

After reading at this site, having all the same problems, drinking more , no buzz, blackouts , never knowing when and if you might have them, is a no brainer for me, I am lucky that I can stop drinking and have done so for 2 weeks now. I go to the doc. in a week, will get off cynbalta and hopes that I have learned from you all and myself and clean up my act, I want to enjoy life and since I've quit mixing the two together I feel so much better, I think I'm even looking better and I didn't see that affect before. So I hope we all can learn from each other, it is after all about feeling better, the quality to life is important not the quantity. Good luck everyone , I know you have helped me make a healthy decision, for that i am so grateful. ps I have been doing this for 3 years and didn't get it.

I've slowly increased my drinking over the past 3 years during which time I've been taking 120 ml of Cymbalta. I've found myself consuming dozens of glasses of red wine and I drink until I can't remember anything at all. This is scary to me as I've found myself in very dangerous situations while traveling, plus I'm a wife and mother. Its as though I have no control over my actions and it truly scares me. I've tried to stop the drinking but so far haven't made it longer then a few weeks. Help!

My story is a carbon copy of many here. The first few weeks of taking this drug I constantly wanted to go out and found my appetite for alcohol relentless, sometimes drinking an entire bottle of wine AFTER a night out when I got home. This has wrecked things with a girl I was briefly seeing, and I've wanted to fight with good friends or anyone unlucky enough to be in my vacinity. I black out regularly, I feel the desire to drink every day. I didn't even drink much previously. I thought I was going mad, like others have commented on this thread... I've never been someone who seeks violence or acts abusively... it's time to stop taking this drug AND alcohol... I just wish there was more publicity of this side effect.. I'd never have started taking Cymbalta if I had known.

It's a huge relief to find that I'm not alone, and wish all of you the best of luck