I am a 20 year old girl and just started having sex recently. :-D I am not sure whether to inform my mother or not. %-) I do not want to have to hide my contraceptive pills etc, but i do not want to make the biggest mistake of my life by letting her in on this information. I was ready and do not feel like i am making a mistake, however, i think she will be disappointed. How do i go about handling this sictuation? ?

Hi Molly, thanks for your post! This is a tough decision but I am sure you will make the right one. Sometimes it is hard to communicate with parents but it is probably the best thing any child (even at 20 you are still their child) can do. How is your communication with your mom? Are you able to talk about other things? What is her belief system on sex? I am assuming it is pre-marital sex and if so, is this her hang-up?

The best thing to do is go with your gut and be upfront. When you are confident in your decision making you can convince her easier than if you go into the conversation scared and insecure. You could ask a third party to be with you when and if you do speak to her about your decision. It would be best to have an unbiased person, like your doctor or mutual family friend who can remain faithful to both of you.

I agree, it is a tough decision but you can do it. Keep us posted.

You don't have to tell mom a thing, unless you want to. If you two have that tight mom/daughter bond, then it's okay, but still unecessary. You are now an adult and tho i am sure you love your mom and have peobably shared a ton of stuff with her thru the years, this does not have to be one of them. You don't have to hide your pills either. From experience, mom shouldn't be pokeing around your space, i.e. bedroom, car or computer. Our 20 years old daughter lives at home and i don't even go in her room, unless i have to, then it's in and out, quick. There have been times when i have seen something that aroused my curiosity, but i never questioned her, it's none of my business. You are a grown women and mom/dad have done their job. If mom has seen you with a steady guy for a while, she is not dumb, she probably already knows. If she happens to ask questions, just reassure her that you are taking the proper precautions and you don't intend on making her a gramma in the near future, then drop it.