I have always been a frequent shaver, keeping my hair low and testicles hairless. I now have these raised bumps around my penis shaft that are small circles of raised skin. I think they are from ingrown hairs but they are embarrasing to look at. I made the mistake of picking at them and now they appear to be something like scars that are raised. What can I do to make they disappear? Thanks

Hi Rolling,

You may have a condition called "folliculitis."  Basically, you may have a staph infection.  They are very common and for the most part, harmless.

Use hot compresses, keep the area clean and dry.  Use a clean towel when washing "down there."

If it continues for more than 3-4 days, you may need an antibiotic.  In that case, see your doctor.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply. This has not gone away in some months now. Could you recommend anything that I could purchase at my local CVS? Maybe a bacitracin, polymyxin cream?

rollingon wrote:

medic-dan wrote:

Hi Rolling,

Good luck.

If it's been going on for months, see your doctor for an evaluation.

If you use something not strong enough to kill the infection you risk making the infection stronger.

Staph is on all of us, it only causes problems when it gets into a wound, such as from shaving. You don't want to mess with it as staph can become resistant to antibiotics.

See your doctor.