After so many nights I have been listening my body, I concluded that my stomach has language on its own. It takes my attention with loud stomach gurgling, that I cannot cure or prevent. Since none of my friends, could share with me this experience, I decided to write here. Could anyone tell me anything about loud stomach gurgling? Should I be worried and visit a doctor, or there is simple way to prevent it?

Although many people laugh or feel embarrassed when we are talking about loud stomach gurgling, the fact is that doctors do have a word for this. It is called borborygmi, which is the sounds that come from digestive system as food, air and gas move through. If you want to get an idea what is happening down there after a meal, you should think of the motion of a slithering snake. Bathed in stomach acid, eaten food is squeezed slightly forward and slightly back through the digestive tract. Helping break the meal down and absorb nutrients, and sometimes creating noise you described as loud stomach gurgling. Whether you have eaten or not, every one to two hours, there is a rush of digestive juices sweeping through the digestive tract. Goal is to clear out anything that remains behind, so this can cause loud stomach gurgling sounds. However, important is to know that also an upset stomach and irritable bowel syndrome can cause stomach noises as you reported.
Sipping some warm 7-Up, sneaking a snack and stop gulping might prevent those sounds. However, I would recommend you to visit your doctor and discover exact cause of this loud stomach gurgling, to get appropriate treatment.

I have the same problem. I am 16 years old and i just got diagnoised with mono about a month ago. Along that same time I started to get loud stomach gurgling in my lower abdomen. If it is not gurling I am bloated and if I am not bloated my stomach is growling constantly. It is highly annoying. The doctor did let me know that I do have a swollen spleen. However, can a swollen spleen be causing idgestive problems? Please help I want to return to my normal life!

ok, i am in desperate need of help! to begin with i am very athletic and run on a club track team so typically if we dont have a meet we have 2hr practices everyday. for about 6 days in a row, as im doing my warm up jog of a half mile my stomach makes weird noises, i cant quiet tell if it is sloshing, gurling or what. i dont feel pain or anything but my friend can hear it as she jogs next to me. then i even hear it when im sprinting now. yesterday, though, after i ran i felt extremely nauseated and almost vomited. can anyone help me? any ideas on what it could be?

Hello everyone I am currently 25 years old and these stomach noises have been causing me so many problems. I really started to notice my stomach noises when I was like 19 years old. Once I graduated from my university the stomach noises seem to have gotten worse. I hate having to do any kind of training, because I get soo scared that my stomach will start to make some type of noise. I actually had to resign from a government job, because the training was 4 months long and I had to spend 80% of my time in a quiet room. I was doing pretty good for the first 4 weeks, but then I got a tetaneous shot and a hepatitis shot and everything went down hill.

I will have to go through another training, which will be a week long, 8 hours a day. I wish I didn't have to do this training, but I guess I have no other alternative. I also want to get my masters, but I guess I will have to try to get it online. There are some schools like Boston University, Michigan State, Texas Tech, Florida State, Penn State and University of Houston that offer degrees online. I hope this helps for those who are in school and hate going to class. I am now trying to go to a career path that does not make me work in a quiet environment.

One thing that helped me a great deal was taking fiber pills (metamucil). My routine would start out like this, wake up and try to do #2, then take 2 fiber pills and have breakfast. I would like like 20 fiber pills with me, just incase I heard any noises. I would have lunch and then try to do #2 again and take 2 more fiber pills. I would also take water with me and also something to drink on that was carbonated. I think that if you flush food through your system, by using the restroom, then this may help with the stomach noises. It did for me until I got the darn tetaneous and hepatitus shot.

One other thing that I noticed helped a great deal was running or probably any other excercise. I remember one time I had to run 1.5 miles before lunch and I didn't eat anything, I just drank water. I showered and went to class and I was thinking that I was sure to have stomach noises. I was soo surprised that my stomach did not make one noise.

I went to go and see a doctor in another country (Mexico) since I don't have insurance right now. He checked me out and said that my heart beat is like off on the 11th beat or something like that. He said that it was nothing to worry about, but that this may be the reason for my stomach noises. He asked if I had been excercising lately and I said no. He asked if I had any chest pains and I said a couple times and he said that I should start to excercise everyday. He also gave me this medication, Creon and this other medication. I am taking them right now, but I don't know if they are really working, since my stomach has been feeling about the same. The doctor told me to stay away from processed foods, such as sausages and not to any spices (garlic, pepper, cumin and other spices) he also said not to eat any spicy foods. I am also lactose intollerant, so I don't drink any dairy products. I think I am also alergic to glutons, so I stay away from wheat, barly and oats.

One other thing that I have not done yet, but am thinking about is taking milk thistle to try to help my liver process foods. I don't want to do this yet, until I have finished my training. I don't want to experiment right now before I go to training.

Well good luck to everyone and I hope we can deal with our problem. It would be nice if we could all work for the same company and we didn't have to worry about our stomach noises.

PS: Stress is also something that causes this. I guess when you get stressed you let out some stomach acids and then that's when you hear the noises. Sometimes eating fresh fruits and veggies can also cause stomach noises for certain people. I agree with the person who said have protein. I have eggs in the morning and that seems to help.

Hi Everyone, I used to have the exact same problem! I had a hard time going through high school, when classes were quiet and my stomach would make all these noises I started to miss class becuase of it. That was about 3 years ago. I Went to a Naturopath, i was found to have food sensitivities, I realized that my yeast levels were very high and that Candida was the root cause of the noise. I was sensitive to many food DAIRY and ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS are horrible - i now dont get these noises very often and it is usually related to what you eat. Also look into "Food Combining" and also do not drink water/liquid with a meal! But on top of that make sure you do drink 1/2 your body weight in oz a day - eg. 180lbs - 90oz of water a day (almost 3 litres!) all these seemed to help me out! hope this helps

i am 33 yrs old and have the same condition.

i manage it by eating smaller meals(eat till you are about 80% full) with higher fiber content, not drinking too much water (especially right after eating), and minimizing amounts of coffee and beer.

drinking warm water or tea is also good for the digestive system.

i am a 33 yrs old male and have a similar condition.

I feel your pain! I came across a small book on the internet that dealt with stomach noises. I bought it and was happy with it. The main thing that I took from the book was that Olive Oil is fantastic at reducing stomach sounds. Something about the fatty acids reducing the intestinal contractions.

Hi all,

I too have had this same embarrassing problem and I've been reading sooo much info so many different solutions. The one I found was having a tablespoon on olive oil but since that sounded kind of digusting I noticed just a spoonful of peanut butter every moring with breakfast seems to have kept it quite for this past week, try it out. I guess it's the oils in it that help balance out the stomach acid.

I think it's great that everyone has been posting so much supportive information for everyone else. I think that it can be potentially embarrassing to make stomach noises so I totally understand trying to find a cure for this as quickly as possible. I can tell you that what the previous Guest posted about peanut butter is probably a good idea. It's possible that this is caused by diet and that the peanut butter adds protein and enough bulk for the stomach to digest through the day. Keep posting! I'm interested to hear more.

I can totally agree with your devastating problem. My family and friends are constantly making fun of my loud stomach. Its terrible embarrassing when people ask "Hungry?". It breaks down my self-esteem. I am continuing looking for some cure. Ill keep you updated my fellow stomach sufferers.

Same here, i am 15 yrs old, every day my stomach makes these sounds, (mostly at school) when i get home its all good? and im not hungry.. its rlly od..

I have found that sipping on organic green tea throughout the day helps tremendously.

Its not normal to have stomach noise, bowel movement and gas every day!
I only register here to tell what the colonoscopy test said and what medicine cured me.

Im 27 and had this problems for 3 months, every day i had stomach noises and gas at anytime of the day sometimes lauder after eating sometimes in the morning and bowel movement followed by gas. i never had pain or diarrhea except the first day when all started.

Its a very bad bacteria that if is not treated it could cause Ulcer so they gave me 2 different antibiotics Klacid 500mg 1 in the morning 1 in the evening with food 7 days and Co-amoxicillin Sandoz 1g, 875mg/125mg 1 in the morning 1 in the evening for 7 days with food and then Agopton 30, 1 in the morning 1 in the evening with the other medicine for 14 days + some bioflorin for the flora.
I have seen 5 doctors in 3 months, and i have tried to build up the flora, they gave me metamucil, they had the stool sample witch was negative for bacteria, blood test ....and only the colonoscopy could tell exactly what i have, so dont waste your money and time with doctors have a colonoscopy done because you do have a nasty bacteria if your stomach its noisy every day!

Im am very happy i dont have the noises any more and hopefully would make you have a colonoscopy done witch is not so bad except the liquid you have to drink before.