About 3 wks ago I found out I was pregnant. I calculated it out and right now I'm about 7 weeks along. I spoke to my mother about it, my mother is a nurse and she told me that I'd be fine getting the procedure done awake. I'm only 19 years old, I love kids but right now I'm just starting college and getting things together and I don't want to sell my baby short I want to give him or her the world but right now I can't do that because I'm still young. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what I should do? I called a place where they said that I am able to stay awake but I also can be put to sleep but I am not too up on the being put to sleep thing. Who had an abortion done while awake and how'd it feel? But please, be kind while responding as you KNOW that this is a VERY tough decision! And, the clinic told me that since I'm young and I've never had kids that it would deff. be better for me to be put to sleep but I don't have the extra money right now to pay to be put to sleep because of my books and everything for school.

hey

im 19 years old as well and was in the exact same situation as you. i was 7 weeks pregnant when i had my abortion 2 weeks ago. i was awake through the procedure and was totally fine. i love kids and couldnt wait to have kids, but its very hard not to be selfish when an unplanned pregnancy occurs especially at our age. ill tell you step by step what they will do and what to expect if you decide to go through with the procedure awake.

ok.

so youll make the appointment, the lady will ask when your last period started, if youve had symptoms, shell also tell you to bring loose fitting clothes and full underwear. youll go to the clinic/hospital and you will be given some papers to fill out stating that your aware of the procedure and its POTENTIAL risks ( i emphasize potential because they are very very rare ) , youll sign the papers and will be given some stuff to read to reassure you about the procedure. youll be in the waiting room for a while (at least i was) then youll be brought into a room with a counsellor. he/she will talk to you about any concerns or anything. they are there to help you so dont hesitate to ask any questions. theyll give you a pill for anxiety and an ibeuprofen (pain killer) then youll be sent back into the waiting room. after that youll be brought into another room where youll get changed into your comfy clothes and youll get an ultrasound. now, they may ask you if you want to see the image on the screen and its totally up to you. i didnt want to see it because it would have made it too real for me, and i just wanted it to be over and not have anything to look back on (as bad as that may sound). theyll prick your finger to check your blood type and whatever else they do with it, then youll sit in that waiting room again, and youll be brought in for the procedure.

youll have 1 or 2 nurses by your side through the whole thing. they will put an IV in your hand and pump a sedative in you. it doesnt put you to sleep but it makes you very groggy and spaced out. they will spark up conversation and wont stop talking to you and holding your hand till its over. the doctor will come in, introduce himself and try to make light of the situation. he will start by placing a metal "opener" in you (exactly what they use for pap smears) then he will give you a needle in your cervix. i jumped when he did this because i was mid conversation and didnt expect it, but again, it didnt hurt it was uncomfortable. hell give it a second and then start to dialate you. the sensation you will feel is somewhat like a strong menstrual cramp. this feeling will last until the end of the procedure. towards the end was slightly painful. at the end the doctor is finishing the suctioning to get everything out to ensure that there wont be an infection afterwards, so he has to move it around a bit more than the beginning of the procedure and it is more uncomfortable than when he started. then hes done. you wont see anything at all youll remain layed down until hes out of the room. once its done one of the nurses will put your underwear, pad and pants on for you, trust me you wont be able to do it. the cervix is very sensitive and when touched can make you feel very funny ( i got very dry-mouthed and nauseated but didnt throw up ). shell help you off the bed and will take you to the recovery room. youll get some water and crackers and a heating pad on your stomach. you stay there until your fully able to walk by yourself and feel back to normal. for me i was fine within 20 minutes. i got up went to the bathroom, got dressed and left.

the actual procedure itself lasted maybe..3-5 minutes, but it felt like it lasted 10 seconds. you will be so sedated you wont even realise whats going on. but you will be in the clinic for roughly 3 hours.

so thats what will happen if your awake through the procedure. but its not like youll get the full effect (pain) of it. you will be given drugs at your request. and for my procedure the suction thing wasnt hooked up to a loud machine, it was a syringe with a long tube on it. that was one thing that i didnt want. i didnt want to be able to hear anything. but unfortunately your not allowed ipods or anything in there.

if you have any other questions feel free to email me

best of luck xox

**edited by moderator**

I had 2 abortions quite some time ago. You can opt for the two part method if you want. What that is...you go, say on a Monday, they do all of the stuff that the above poster put forth exept they put laminaria into your cervix. It looks like thin stalks of bamboo, this laminaria will dialate you slowly thru the nite. I had to wear a tampon to keep it in and i had some cramps. The cramps started about 3 or 4 hours after i had it put in. The next day i had the procedure done. They inserted a tube attached to a machine with a spoon kind of thing on the end. I will say no more.
The whole thing took about 10 minutes, i felt little pain and was awake thru the procedure. The nurses talked to me all the while, just about things in general. They even had me laughing at one point. I do remember getting a valium before hand, just to calm my nerves. I was 6 weeks with the first and about 10 for the second. After that you are put into a recliner and given stuff to drink and graham crackers. I had ginger ale, then some oj. I got to home in about 2 hours or so. I was told to take it very easy for the rest of the day and i remember the procedure was completed on a Friday so i had the whole weekend to recooperate.
Just make sure you have an ample supply of pads (no tampons) and some Advil. They may even give you Tylenol with codein. Codein makes me sick so i had to make due with the Advil, which was okay.
You will feel better in about 2 or 3 days.
God luck to you hon and let us know how your doing.

So , as you read ; i'm fourteen & i'm pregnant. Don't think i'm a hoe or anything , my boyfriend that i'm with now (baby's father) and me have been together since December and he's my first and only . Well , let me cut to the chase. I'm Pregnant ! I'm Terrified , i just don't know what to do. He knows , my best friends know , and my God Mom knows also. My god mom has been taking me to the doctor & i'm currently 10 weeks tomorrow . i'm showing already ! ughh , like the doctoro tells me that my body is responding WAY to quick to the pregnancy. but me and my boyfriend came to the conclusion that we don't need a baby right now , seven times outta ten , we're not going to be together in the future and as much as i love him & our baby , we're not ready . i'm gettting an abortion tomorrow after school , and i'm scared . i don't know if it's going to hurt , i feel like it's wrong :cry: . i've always said abortions were wrong , but now look at me ! i'm getting one myself . what a freaking hipacrit ! (spell check that) and can you guys just please help me out a little , some advice maybe? and by the way , another reason for this abortion is because we're both athletes . i'm a vollyball player & he's a football player . we're both GREAT at what we do . but of us are on varsity ; im a freshman & he's a sophmore .

At 14, you sound very mature. You will be okay hon, trust me, it's not the end of the world. You are much to young to bring a child into this world right now, and i really respect you for actually realizing that you and bf are not going to live happily ever after. It is a scarey thing, i know as i have been there twice. It's very good that your Godmother has gone to bat for you, an adult who understands and who doesn't judge you is a good thing. The procedure doesn't take long at all and they do make you as comfortable as possible. Ask the doctor if your Godmom can stand at your side, i did this when my daughter had her procedure. A warm familiar hand to hold is so very comforting.
You are NOT a hoe, you are NOT a bad person, you just slipped along the way. First time love is very exciting and there are many times when we get cought up in the new romance that we let protection slip by, or we don't even think about it. It's okay, just talk to the doctor about birth control.
Try to relax and think positive, it will be over before you know it allowing you to get on with your life. Just be careful the next time, and always remember to take your birth control, it saves a ton of aggrivation. Make sure to seek some after care counseling. They are a hugh help at this time. Your going to be sad and your probably going to feel guilty, but this will go away. Try not to hang on to what your about to do for to long as it does have a way of screwing with your head, if you let it.
Good luck today hon, be strong and try to keep it together, it's okay. Come back and let us know how it went, we are here to listen and help.
Hugs to you, bbfeet

Hey I am in the same situation as you...
I am 19 and I found out I was pregnant last week, i always told myself if I ended up getting pregnant i would gp through with it but now i can't im afraid to tell my parents i know they will be very disappointed because I'm in my 3rd year of college and having a baby wasnt in my plans and i had alot of plans for the winter and next year , my boyfriend wants to keep it but as much as i want to convince myself that i should keep it i cant because MY life will change more than my boyfriends, I would have to move in with his family and away from mine and leave school for a while because of the baby, I know it sounds selfish but i cant bare to have it now, so Im getting an abortion it hurts me sometimes to think about it but i know its for me and boyfriends best he'll get to accomplish he dream of becoming a doctor and ill finish my mayor

Instead of getting an abortion, have you ever thought of carrying the child full term and then giving it up for adoption? I personally would love to take your baby. And then you'd be giving the child a great life. IF you decide to abort the child, you in the end are not giving him or her the chance to survive. You earlier said that it wouldn't be fair for the child if you kept it your self because of financial reasons, but then if that's so then how could killing it be a better option? Keep me posted on your decision and good luck in school.

I know you feel adoption is the best choice, and for the child it is. But, you have to understand how difficult it is to carry a child inside you for 9 months and bond with it then give it to some stranger. It's very difficult. But, it is more humane.

look even if you give a baby in adoption you get to see him grow by the adoptive parents sending pics to you seeing how happy that baby  is with its forever family you can get open adoption you get to see your baby by their adoptive parents super vision and you can see how safe and happy he or she is their is always someone willing to give that forever family to a baby like me so please their is always a way out and abortion is not one  

Lilly, I wanted to take a minute to thank you for all of your work and effort. I requested a binding love spell and received the strengthen our relationship love spell as my free spell and within 3 days Sam was back and home with me and we are finally talking about marriage and kids! I cannot thank you enough for your SPAM SPAM SPAM services! I have already recommended two friends to you for help with their love lives!!! T ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use