Hi, my mother is suffering from bell’s palsy for a few weeks and in the same time she is suffering from diabetes. When she visited her doctor he told her that diabetes may complicate palsy and make it last longer. I would like to know something more about connection between these two disorders.

Hi, I have diabetes and I had bell’s palsy several months ago. Diabetes is factor which is worsening every neuropathy or neuritis. Also diabetes may cause recurrence of bell’s palsy although it is not disorder which may repeat from time to time. I suggest you mother to control blood sugar level very often because diabetes may provoke bell’s palsy.

Hi there,
The paralysis that is caused by Bell palsy is very disturbing condition but it tends to get resolved in more than 80% of patients that suffer from this condition. You have to understand also that diabetes can influence many ways in someone’s life. Her doctor is right, diabetes can make Bell palsy last longer. People with diabetes are more prone to Bells palsy. Also pregnant women can suffer from Bell palsy. What kind of medication did he given to your mother? Can you tell us how long is she suffering from this condition and how long does she have diabetes? The thing is that she might have just a partial recovery, and this can be very hard on people.