Does doing push/press up stunt your growth? Everyday or every 2 days my son does around 30 to 50 push up. He currently weighs only 50kg.

My son is only 14 and half, but his height is only 162 cm and that considered short because im 185cm tall and my wife is 170cm. Is that push up stunt your growth or is he growing slowly? I'm currently very worried about his height and his health. :-(

According to Marvin L. Gavin, MD, safe exercise and proper eating does not stunt growth in teens. If he's exercising using safe methods, being careful not to injure himself, he should be fine.

As for being short and skinny, he's still only 14. Perhaps he'll have a large growth spurt. I suggest you wait a bit and see.

I think that bodyweight exercises will not stunt your growth.
Maybe he is just growing a lil' slow. I remember reading that male will have
two growth spurts.

From,
Chris.

thank you for letting me know :-)

My name is DEWANG.I am 14 yrs old and i want to tell you that push makes stamina,strengtns arms and shoulders. I am also doing it :D

Benjo,

Welcome to the forum. It's good that you are a concerned parent who cares for his son. Doing push up and pull ups will in no way stunt your son's growth. That is an old wives tale that has been going around for several decades. In fact you should keep encouraging him to exercise at his age since it will build healthy habits that will stay with him for his life. Push ups and pull ups increase muscle mass and strength which is a healthy thing to be happening for a young man. It increases circulation also.

i am 15 and have the same problem. From the sites i have been looking at push ups do not stunt your growth and some even say pull ups help you grow. So you shouuld just wait and see thats what im doing XD

DR CHANDRA MUKHARGI SAID THAT DOING EXERCISE IS NOT HELPFUL TO GROW YOUR HEIGHT ....BUT IT IS MUCH BENEFICIER TO EAT SLEEP MINIMUM 12 HOURS A DAY ......IT KEEPS YOU FIT AND SLIM.....

are you doing pushups every day.so tell me please Is doing pushups everyday stops height

My son has the same problem. He is almost 15 and does lots of push ups everyday (I believe 50 or more 4 times a day). He's got his puberty relatively early. A spacialist who sees him for his scoliosis, says that from his facial and body hair you can say he's almost done with his growth. He is 166.6 cm and I am worried he doesn't grow taller :( I am short (156cm) myself, but my husband is 178cm and our family doctor used to say that he will be as tall as his dad. As he has lots of outdoor and indoor activities and eat healthy (lots of fruit and vegetables, no soda, no junk food, no chips or any other unhealthy snacks, ...) and even watch us to eat and act healthy, the only thing that I can blame his height for is, the push ups and lateral raises. These excercises certainly build up muscles but on the other hand they prevent the muscle to grow length wise. Can somebody give me some advice please

I am also 14 and 170 cm tall

Do some Exercises in the morning and evening
1.) walking to do 15-30 minutes every morning
2.) Jogging to do 15-30 minutes every morning
3.) Doing Pull ups Everyday of 15 minutes
4.) Avoid cool drinks and soda
5.) Do swimming, running and skipping to grow height and do spend some time for sports like volley ball, basket ball, shettel.

Eating makes you slim
Damn, these hoes aint loyal