I did it! The guy on the phone said I could come on thurs., yesterday, and sit in on a class or join in if I wanted to! Luckily, I came in sweats because a black belt grabbed me from the viewing area and gave me a private Tae Kwon Do lesson. He went over all of the basic steps needed for the first test and had me try them out.

LOL! He kept asking me to kick: front snap kick and a side kick. Kicking moves in ballet were my all time favorites, so it just seemed kind of natural when he showed me the 2 kicks.
Then he had me kick this bag that he said was filled with water. We took turns kicking that again again.

The lesson was fun, but the arm movements were extremely complicated! He kept on having to remind me to make a proper fist (thumb on outside or you'll break it)...

I told him I'm not sure how Tae Kwon Do could be used as self-defense without years of training. I would imagine that some people after a few months would just have a false sense of security. And defense is the main reason I would sign on. He said there are moves that can be taught that will help me to defend myself. Hmmmm....

Well, I'll give it another whirl.

Shelly

I'm glad you enjoyed the class. I trained in TKD for 6 years before moving on to other arts. It can be good for self defense in a realatively short time (months).

[hijack] One of my students beat off a mugger with only three months of training with one shot (palm strike). I am sure it took him completely by surprise since he was excpecting an easy victom in an overweight woman. [/highjack]

The most important thing is the Instructor. Find out who will be teaching the classes you will be attending. Talk with them and other students on teaching style, expectations, etc. Then there is always cost. find out the dues, are there any testing fees, belt fees, national assoc. you have to join, sparring pads. These can add several hundred dollars per year to the level of dues.

Take your time and check out several schools. If you are in a decent size city there will probably be several out there.

Feel free to run any questions by me so matter how trivial you think. You can end up spending time and money and not get what you want out of it.

Ok, I have very little experience with the martial arts, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It seems to me that, indeed, you will get a FALSE sense of security by taking this classes and thinking you can kick ass. They may be good for exercise, but they are more choreographed dance than any real self defense.

A half decent street fighter with an attitude will kick your butt if you try that stuff on him.

Actually, I danced for years, and it was nothing like my dance classes. The fact that I danced helped with balance. some of the stances, and definitely the kicking. I know what you mean, though. There are a lot of cardio kickboxing, martial artsy classes out there.
I think this was pretty legit, BUT, once again, you have a point. I mean it would take years to be a good "fighter."
I think what their aim is in self defense is just to get the attacker down long enough to run away...unless you're a black belt... and then you could kick some butt. There's no way anyone would be taking that black belt dude down...as skinny as he was. :D
Shelly

Hi Joe,

I would agree with you on people that take the kickboxing aerobic classes and think they can defend themselves. Also, proper attitude (that the bad guy has) will go a long way in a fight.

Part of taking MA and self defense is also building confidence in yourself. You will appear less of a target. Sure anyone can get attacked; but, you will have the skills and confidence to disrupt and leave the situation.

You know, your post is full of good advice. Thanks! I live in a small town, so I'm pretty limited to what's here...

I'll talk to the instructor a bit more about fees.. Class fees are really inexpensive. I was surprised. I think 35 dollars a month for 12 months.

I'm still vacillating about signing up or not. How many times a week do you go to your martial arts class? I was just considering 1 x a week, but the instructor said 2 x even more would be best, of course (but there are no additional fees for going more). I just don't have the time for that, and wouldn't want to lag behind the whole class.

Anyway, if I have questions, I'll definitely know who to ask. Thanks!

Take care,

Shelly

You really should try to commit to twice a week. Right now I only go twice a week due to family commitments. And, $35 per month is very cheap. That shows you are in a small town. Around here is $80 and up per month.