Hi. My sister has tinea versicolor. I don`t know what that is. I am really very worried. Does anybody know anything about tinea versicolor? What is that? What are the treatment options? What are expectations?

Hi. I have tinea versicolor. It is a relatively common, chronic fungal infection of the skin. It can be found on the back, upper and underarms, chest and neck. The symptoms of tinea versicolor include patches of discolored (dark color) skin that won`t go away, increased sweating and itching. Treatment include anti fungal meds, such as clotrimazole, ketoconazole and miconazole. You have to apply the med on your skin. Over the counter dandruff shampoos are sometimes helpful. Expectation is very good. No reason to be worried. Tinea versicolor is easy to treat. However, pigment changes may last for months. Also, tinea versicolor may return.