I have 6 years old son who catch some infection. One friend of mine told me it is ringworm, so I wonder if she is right. It looks like slightly red lesion with border of small scales. If that is ringworms really, can you tell me, is it possible to treat it home, without doctors’ observe? Could he catch this infection from pets, dog for example?

Although the name suggests a parasitic type of worm as the culprit, it is actually caused by two common and harmless fungi. The fungi in the rash are contagious by direct contact with the rash or from the hands of an infected person. Moreover, yes, your child could catch it from infected pets, especially dogs and cats. It is harmless condition, easily treated by topical anti-fungal creams. The standard treatment is clotrimazole, whose brand name is Lotrimin or Mycelex. It should be applied twice a day to the lesion and surrounding skin. There are many other creams, which are also effective in treatment of ringworms. If the rash does not improve after 2 weeks of treatment, you should consult his doctor. There are some other skin condition, such as eczema, contact dermatitis, psoriasis and seborrhea. If treatment for ringworm fails, his doctor may consider these possibilities.