I went through chemo for breast cancer a few years back. When my eyelashes came back, they were lighter, shorter, and thinner than before. The hair actually looks better now, but those eyelashes? To be honest, they really bother me. Is there something I can do to lengthen my eyelashes as well as thicken them? Obviously I've tried mascaras, different ones, but I am not really seeing the results I was hoping for. I'd ideally (eye-deally, haha) be looking for something a bit more permanent. Tips? 

Celebrity

Hey Maya,

Sorry to hear you went through cancer and your looks were affected in a way you don't like too.

Of course, there are many steps you can take to make your short and thin eye lashes look longer. Wouldn't it be great if you could actually make them be longer, though? I've heard that brushing your eye lashes daily with a lash brush will stimulate hair growth. Be gentle, obviously. Oils are also said to stimulate eye lash growth, particularly coconut oil, castor oil and blackseed oil. It may make you look weird, so I'd massage an oil in before bed and leave it in overnight if I were you. Now, you won't see results right away, but you should have some luck after a few months of applying your chosen oil. (Mind you, I know castor oil is also used to induce labor, which makes it sounds a bit iffy, so you may want to stay away from that one.)

Then, there's those vitamins that are meant to make your hair, nails and skin look better. I've heard that they are supposed to make your lashes longer too, but I've never really had experience with that, though I've used them I didn't really pay attention to my lashes. They did seem to make my nails quite a bit stronger after using gel nails for years though, so you may give this a go.

Hiya,

How about trying to use an eyeliner as well as a mascara to make your eyelashes look longer? If you do one of those cat flicks (line Amy Winehouse used to wear) you'll only add to the effect of long lashes.

Also, try using an eyelash curler. Then, use one of those mascaras that comes with a base as well as the black bit. Start with the base (usually white) and then add the second layer. These steps alone should make your eyelashes look longer, ticker and healthier. But if that doesn't work, there's also something else you can do. You may like to try false eyelashes or eyelash extensions. These can give you real good and natural looking results. Mind you, don't go for the joke shop ones, LOL.

Lash extensions are a technique that is becoming more and more popular these days. This is a procedure that lasts two to three hours. That may seem like an awfully long time to get your eyelashes done, but the trick is that your clinician will add the hairs (artificial hairs) one at the time, applying them to your natural lashes with special glue. That means your lashes will only fall out when your natural ones do and you'll look natural. The first treatment is expensive, around $300, but later monthly corrections (because not all your lashes fall out at the same time obviously) cost much less.

Take:

1/3 coconut oil
1/3 castor oil
1/3 vitamin E oil

Mix together in a glass or something. You just need a tiny little bit of this mixture, no more, so not enough to make your whole eyelids look oily and feel sticky. If you've done it right, you won't see the mixture on your eyelids at all. Your eyelashes will just feel a bit moist. Apply this every night, and you will get results for sure, within a few weeks. A friend told me about this, like, a few months ago and my eyelashes are looking gorgeous.

Woohoo. Do you think this really helps? I'm prepared to give it a go.

Well, that was unexpected! Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I truly appreciate that. I feel somewhat like a kid in a candy store, going from thinking I might just have to accept the fact that my looks have changed forever (including the short eyelashes) to seeing that there are actually lots of options.

I would honestly prefer something that either I can do at home, or that's a one-off treatment. I don't really relish the thought of going for lengthy cosmetic treatments that also cost a fair bit. I've decided to start off with the oils then, and to see if taking the hair, skin, and nail vitamins may also help me. Does anyone have a good vitamin brand to recommend for that?

So, you can try with the home remedies for sure, but did you know there are actually professional products on the market that are designed specifically to give you thicker and longer eyelashes? They are much more likely to work well than home remedies because their ingredients were carefully chosen by the manufacturers of these cosmetics. Some I know of are Grandelash-MD, Revitalash, Rapidlash and idol.lash. If you are already going to take the time to apply a product to your eyelashes every night, it might as well be one that was made for the purpose by people who know what they are doing, no?

Well, I can't say I have experience with beyond average short eyelashes and thin eyelashes, but all good mascaras will make your eyelashes look longer. I go for the Volum' Express The Falsies Push-Up Drama Mascara quite a bit. That one does a great job and costs I think around $8, so very reasonable. I also got Lancome Grandiose Mascara, which is in a whole different price range at I think over $30. The brush is all weirdly shaped and it really helps add to the length. I save that one for special occasions because it is so expensive. A lot of people go for Maybelline too, the pink bottle with the green lid (not sure what it's called.) That one isn't expensive either so you could test that perhaps.

I could really do with longer eyelashes myself and I did read about the castor oil. I haven't read to mix it with vitamin E and coconut oil though, but I did see that people are recommending you brush castor oil into your lashes every night. Since I've come across both positive and negative reviews, I'm not really sure what to expect. I'd rather not waste my time on something that doesn't do anything. Do you have any tips on how to make this work and do you know why it is actually supposed to make your eyelashes longer?

Heard about Latisse, which is endorsed by Brooke Shields, and also there's this thing called Enormous Lash... and one other, can't remember the name right now. I've tried the eyelash extensions and though I know they work fab for some people, I just gotta say they are simply too much work... just my personal opinion. Makeup gets on them, and my eye lids also puff up at first because I guess I'm sensitive to the glue they use to apply the extensions. Not doing that again. Does anyone have any experience with these products that are supposed to make your own lashes longer? If so, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks.

Hiya,

I was just about ready to order castor oil and to start putting it on my eyelashes 'cause let's be honest, everyone would like luscious lashes! It seemed like a good idea to look up the safety aspect first. Thought I'd share what I read. There's people who say castor oil really did f all for their eyelashes, and then there's people who say castor oil did make their lashes thicker but not longer. Then the scary bit. Ready to hear it? Here goes....

...

....

Some people say that castor oil can do pretty scary stuff. It can make your eyes puffy and reed, which is an allergic reaction that not everyone will get. OK, so far that's something that pretty much applies to every product under the sun. The other thing I read though is that castor oil can make your skin absorb chemicals it comes into contact with much more easily. Given the stuff that floats about our cities, that's really not a thought I like. It's also used as a laxative. Ain't gonna put a laxative on my eyes, you know? Now, if you are using it and it works for you, more power to you, know what I mean? After what I read it's not something I'd ever really put on my eyes though.

About Latisse...

Yes, Latisse works. Because you need a prescription you do need to go to a dermatologist to get your hands on it. You will also get advice about how to use it. Mine said to only use it twice a week, and I saw real results after a month, improving even more up to four months. I now have dramatic, long lashes and I couldn't be happier with the result. There is some mild itching on the eyelids and they did get a bit darker as well. Some people go as far as to say it changes their eye color but I really don't know if that is possible.

If you are serious about longer lashes then yes, Latisse is a professional product that will give you great results.

I just found this thread while looking for information about when eyelashes come back after chemo. You are not giving me hope, to be honest. Weirdly I lost my eyelashes around six weeks AFTER the chemo was done and they didn't come back until the radiation was completely as well. I am now seven months post treatment and weirdly my eyelashes are falling out YET AGAIN.

My doctor says to be patient, basically. She did mention makeup and false lashes, but I am not really up for that. The only thing I have to say to you is that maybe they will still come back. How long post treatment are you now?

Here's what I have heard:

1. Apply vaseline to your eyelashes every night.
2. Brush your eyelashes with an eyelash brush as part of your beauty routine, probably twice a day, but ever so gently.
3. Massage your eyelids in order to induce follicle growth.
4. Use vitamin E lotion on your eyelids.
5. Use Biotin, a B vitamin, orally in order to stimulate eyelash growth.
6. Make sure you have a healthy diet, including lots of protein. This will encourage eyelash growth.

Of course lengthening mascaras will transform your eyelashes in an instant, but if you are looking for more permanent length, then try these tips.