Perhaps I have made a mistake by choosing aikido for my martial art practice, since I have a lot of extra weight, but still I am somewhat satisfied with its concept and philosophy. Anyway, since many aikido techniques are based on twisting joints, I wish to know is Lengthening Tendons safe or dangerous? Will there be any long-term consequences?

Lenghtening Tendons is something that happens spontaneously while practicing martial arts (especially judo, aikido, jiujutsu). This effect happens because of lots of stretching exercises, which later enables you to feel less pain while someone performs techniques on you. After several years of training, you will be surprised how much you will get used to stretching and pain will be almost gone. There are no long-term consequences, but since you are a beginner, work slowly, warm up good and you will be fine.