Hi. I am 17 years old guy and I had a lip piercing done two weeks ago. It was ok, until it started to hurt like hell. I am bloated now, and I think it has become infected. It is red, and hurts on the touch. I put some cream on it but it doesn’t help much. I would be grateful if you could advise me on what I should do.

It is possible that it is an allergic reaction to steel, or it can be some bacteria. In any case, you should go to the doctor and check this out. Infections are nasty business. This can be a serious matter so don’t just wait for it to go away. There are serious things at stake: you can get hepatitis, HIV, or something else. You should know that healing time about 2 months.

I know how u feel i had mine down like a while ago and i had it in for 2-3 months yet it still hurt like hell it was green and p***y then i decided hmm no and went to a emergency room and had a docter look at it and they was like take it out so i did. after like another month it started to heel and now its scared due to the infection.. piercings can be painful as!

take it out let it heel then get it re-done if you want. dont leave it in it may get worse or go see you gp or docter at a hospital.

thats my advice

xXx Stacey :-P

Ya I have my lip pierced too. I've had it for about 5 months now. And yes, many people try to scare you into not getting one by talking about infection risks and how much "pain" will be inflicted. First of all, if the person knows what they're doing, it shouldn't hurt. And second, if you just do your homework on the consequences of infection, you'll have nothing to worry about. So readers who are lookin to get their body pierced, hopefully this helped =]

O and dude, it probably is just a reaction to the metal. I used to be like that but in some way, my skin like, adjusted to the metal type. Weird huh. Anyway, ya juss look around on the web for some different jewelry materials

Just to let you know, there is pretty much no way you can catch HIV from a piercing, it would have to be freshly covered in the blood of an infected person immediately before using it. I'm pretty sure you would have protested if someone else had just usied it : )

Hepititis has a longer lifespan on objects, but generally piercers use sterilised equipment (as the law states they should), so this is very unlikely too.

These two diseases are called blood borne viruses for a reason! Unless you are immunodeficient and have been hanging around hospitals you will be very unlikely to catch anything serious!

Being red, swollen and 'hot-feeling' are signs of inflamation which are normal with any deep wounds. Most likely you have managed to aggrivate it by playing with it to much.

If it starts crusting around the edges or producing pus then you may have managed to transmit bacteria into the wound from your hands. You should always wash your hands thoroughly before doing anything to it, especially whilst in the open wound stage. Check out the NHS website for instructions to correct had washing.

If this is the case then gently was the area with cotton bud dipped in anticeptic (such as TCP) a couple of times a day. If symptoms persist then antibiotics may be necessary so go and see your GP.

Allergies to steel are pretty rare too, if you want to check then where a steel chain around your wrist for a few days, if it does not become red and itchy then you are probably not allergic to steel.