For the last 4 months I get lower back pain (around the base of the spine and into the buttock muscles) which feels like it is connected with my colon, on approx days 6 to 13 of my menstrual cycle. My periods have not changed and they end after 4-5 days. It feels like something is swelling up inside just after my period, not during it. I have been diagnosed with fibroids in the past - could they be the cause and should I seek medical advice?

I have been worrying about same thing. My lower back pain is generally on the right but almost emanating into right buttock. It has occured on day 5/6 of the past 3 cycles, but goes away after a couple of days. Once I also experienced it 2 days before the start of period. I have no idea if it's fibroids, but this has occured to me too.

I also on the day after my period stops get lower back pain and also a burning pain deep in my buttocks, like hot coals collecting in my buttocks. My doctors act like I'm crazy when I tell them. I cannot figure out what is causing it.

i would get back pain for a couple of days during my period but i had an ablation done 4 weeks ago and my back hurt and its making me crampy too i dont know if it is just coming from my back or if there is a problem

Hi everyone, it could just be a cervix inflammation (due to sex, douching, tampons, bacterial vaginosis, etc -- not necessarily an STD). I'd say get it checked by a doctor if the pain persists and it's accompanied by increased discharge.

I, too, experienced back pain on around cycle day 5 or 6, and it continued for up to 4-5 days, depending on activity level. If I exercised hard, it was way worse. Plus, my energy level was very low. I couldn't figure out what was causing the pain; it was REALLY bad at times! Turns out I had endometrioisis. I had a laparoscopy done (the surgeon enters the pelvic area with a scope to have a look around) and then removes the endometrial tissue if he sees any. It is MUCH better now but I still sometimes experience moderate back pain at cycle day 5-10 if I exercise hard at the end of my period (perhaps there is still some tissue that didn't get removed?) Anyway, what I experienced: my insurance didn't cover the laparoscopy to diagnose endometriosis. Or perhaps my gynocologist wasn't trained in the procedure. He just wanted to put me on the birth control pill-- you take it continuously for 3 months, then stop for a week, therefore only having 4 periods/year. Less periods=less pain. It's the cheap fix for the insurance carriers. BUT if you want kids, it's not a good option obviously. I wanted to get pregnant plus I didn't like the idea of having to take birth control pills indefinitely, so I paid for the lap with a surgeon who specialized in this type of surgery. I searched high and low for a qualified surgeon, even travelled to the Mayo Clinic for suggestions. It's sad that the lap wasn't covered in my case--perhaps your insurance will cover it if you ask for it. The lap surgery, however, reduced the pain level by 80% however, so it was worth the cost. I definitely don't regret it.

I am having the very problem right now. It's been 5-6 days since my last period ended, and I've been having lower back pain (could also be something in the colon region), sleepiness, muscle soreness, slight constipation. In the past, I used a hot bottle to "loosen up" my abdominal discomfort, and it seemed to help a little. I even had a colonoscopy but no endo was found. What I am wondering is, if so many of us are suffering from this problem, why don't the doctors know more about it?

I too have this frustrating re-occurring problem which starts just after a period finishes. I have had this since Feb2010 when I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks, I was then treated for what was thought to be a re-ocurring infection from strep b following swabs taken soon after the misc.
It is a constant dull ache in my right lower back/sacrum area which up until recently has been treated with antibiotics (7 times!) I'm not even sure if it is the antibiotics that is clearing it or it is just "time" that helps it.

Two weeks ago I had a hysterscopy and laproscopy done to "clean" everything out..... but have just finished my first period following the surgery and the pain has returned!

I also have a pretty much constant burning sensation in the vulva/vagina area - I have been checked for STDS, thrush etc and they are all ok, I have has some relief using Oestril cream but need to use it more often than not.

My husband and I are wanting ttc again but I am emotionally and physically exhausted from this ongoing problem that nobody seems to be able to fix.

I too suffer from crazy period symptoms. Cramps like I'm going to break in half, lower back pain, pain that radiates down legs, clots, hot flashes, cold chills, night sweats, insomnia at times, mood swings, etc. I would also like to know why there isn't more done for womens health issues like this. Why some doctors just look at you like you're nuts is beyond me. I don't like the way I feel during these times and it frustrates me that there are medications that help men with erection problems or help boost their libido but theres nothing really for women out there to help except for ibuprofen. WHATS UP WITH THAT??? Sooner of later you're gonna have a bunch of men wanting sex and a bunch of cranky women in pain who would rather jump off a cliff!!!!

i have had pain after period consistently for ast 4 months. pain is seve re for at least 3 days, a couple of times have been flat on my back, can 't move. i have had investigated and have an ovarian cyst, 4 cm. pain travels to sitting bones and into the right hand side buttock. not sure if endo or a cyst causing pain. it seems to get better as the cycle progresses. then all over again at period time. it seems. to be improving with castor oil pack for last 2 months and i have been taking herbs to help oestrog en metabolism in the body and ovarian function, along with fish oil and a supplement to help reduce inflammation. is a natural one. there seems to be an improvement. you need to use castor oil pack at least 3 times a week in the beginning. thevcastor oil draws out toxins from the tissues. don 't use it while menstruating though. it's quite relaxing. the symptoms are endometriosis or ovarian cysts, especially if pain is going with your cycle. go see a naturopath, could aslo be emotional cause too.

I have horrible PMS symptoms the week before my period...anything and everything from hot flashes, nausea, gas, bloating, mood swings, crying spells, joint pain. Then when I get my period I have horrible cramps the first day that radiate from my legs to my vaginal canal, then on the 3rd day, I feel like someone is cutting me with a knife in my pelvis.  I have horrible pain that last just a few seconds, but it is enough pain to double me over and it can sometimes take a up to a minute to where I can stand up again.  The nauseousness on the first night of my period has been occurring since April of this year and symptoms have progressively gotten worse.  To make things worse, even after I stop bleeding, I have lower back pain, constipation/diarrhea, and a slight headache. 
I have been to 3 different OB?GYN's and all want to put me on the pill - which I do not want.  The doc I see know has said that she will save that option for if the pain gets real bad and now has prescribed me Naproxen, which I haven't filled or taken, because really it's just a stronger dose of Advil and Advil helps for the most part, but not all the time and I have to take it regularly for it to have any effect on my cramps b/c once I have them, it is terrible trying to get them to stop.

I go back to my OBGYN in a month, anyone have any idea if this could be endometriosis or is it just the fact that I have really bad cramps and PMS.  I bring up my symptoms when I see her once a year, but she either doesn't seem to think that it is anything or she really just doesn't believe how bad they really are and how my life for 3 weeks every month is affected.  My primary doctor told me to have kids - great advice!!!!

You certainly have hormone imbalance and endometriosis. My OBGYN ignored my complaints until I told him I had endo and wanted it treated, I was at the point of a hysterictomy, so he did exploritory surgery and found lots of endo everywhere and on my ovaries as well as a large polyp that was causing heavy bleeding, clots and pain. It has been much better now. The real answer may be surgery, but get your hormones balanced, your thyroid and iodine levels checked. This condition is from causes that also make you at risk for female cancer. Don't accept a dr. that won't work with you on this. You can feel better. Read some books from the library to get educated. Dr. just push pills and surgery, but they won't cure you.

for the last 2 months m not getting proper menstruation cycles and i get back pain badly even i cant sit more time.....

have you checked for chronic constipation/fael loading/impaction, I've had something like this and after clearing out the intenstines it got better

i totally agree!!!!