Hello.

I have one problem, and I am willing to share it with you. My sister’s birthday was three days ago. She is divorced, so I wanted to make her happy, I don’t want her to be alone, and now she is, she is alone for one month. So, I decided to buy her a cat, because I know that she love cats. So, I bought cat for her and she was so surprised. We went to vet, together, and he told her that this cat is diabetic. I was really sad about this, because I think that is bigger commitment feeding your diabetic cat. She told me that this is not problem, and that she will take care of her.

So, I have heard that raw food is good, so I was wondering can we feed this cat with raw cat food?

You got yourself in a real trouble here. But, do not despair, there is a solution to your problem. One thing you need to keep on your mind, pets’ diabetes isn’t as researched as humans because our organisms are different. And there is a problem of nutrients composition of pet’s food. We never can be careful enough.

Here are some general rules I applied to my cats with diabetes:

• Yes, you can give your cat raw meat, and canned or pouched food as well (avoid dry food at all costs!)
  • Avoid foods that contain cereals, vegetables or fruits
  • Find out what meat is her favorite and feed her with it (turkey, beef, chicken…)
  • The meat MUST be fresh (you can feed her raw, or lightly cooked meat, but freshness is of utmost importance)

Good luck to the three of you!

Interesting situation :) It is always like this when you want to help someone, when you want to make someone happy. Yes, of course! Actually, I think that you should feed your cat with raw food. You should always chose canned, pouched or raw meat diet for your cat. But, you have to avoid dry food – any type, brand, it doesn’t matter. Just avoid it. This type of food is not for diabetic cats, and I think that you should avoid those dry foods that is labeled as “for diabetic cats”. It is not for your cat, and avoid it. Raw food is totally OK, and you should feed your cat with it. 

Hello. Don’t worry, it is not a big deal. Your cat is not the only one with this “problem”. Like other said, feed your cat with raw food, it is healthy and good for diabetic cats. But, it is really important to know that you, as a diabetic cat owner, should not become slave to pet food nutrition charts. You can never be sure enough to find out what is the best food choice for your diabetic cat. Basic rules sometimes are not the main rules to make your cat happy. Choose some meat, chicken, beef, rabbit, and she what she like the most. Let her choose her favorite meal.

Hello.

I don’t have any experience with feeding a cat who has diabetes. My best friend unfortunately has a lot of experience with it.  She has a female cat who is diabetic. She requires insulin shots twice a day.

These shots are not at all stressful for the cat, but they are pretty expensive. Along with the syringes and blood tests.

She feeds her cat with some cat food that the vet sells. It is specifically made for cats who suffer from  diabetes.

I don’t recall her mentioning raw food and I’m pretty sure she has never tried feeding her cat with it. I think that raw feeding requires a lot of knowledge and especially if you have a diabetic cat. It would be too hard for her.

When a cat is diagnosed with diabetes, that changes everything. My aunt has a diabetic cat and she probably takes better care of her cat’s diet than of her own.

That’s because cats with diabetes  have different requirements than regular cats. If you’re feeding her with canned food, it can’t be just any food, it needs to be high quality canned food.

The best option is to feed her raw, but homemade raw meals, not frozen ones that you can buy in the markets. And you need to know a lot about her nutritional needs so you can adjust the diet according them.

Hello there. That is really bad situation. I mean, you can live with your diabetic cat just like other, ordinary cat, but it changes everything because you need to take more care for your cat, you need to be with her all the time, you will always be in scare that she ate something :/ But, that is OK, you will learn how to deal it. About your question, I know, from my friend’s experience, that raw food is the best option for your diabetic cat. Actually, now when I think, I think that this is the only good choice. 

There’s no way you can take care of a diabetic cat if you don’t know a lot about diabetes in cats. 

I recommend reading a book that can help you to understand the nutritional needs of a diabetic cat. 

I would recommend you to find some information about it on the internet, but the information you can find  about it on the internet is not really reliable (I think). 

So go with the book. 

If you want I can come up with some book titles that can be useful for you? 

Go with the raw food, but read all about it first.