Hey, me again.

If you read my previous topic you know that I adopted a kitten. I’ve found two kittens (one black

and one grey) on the street , all alone.

I already have a dog and I’ve never really liked cats till recently, but I had to take these cause it

seemed like they were going to freeze out there. I’ve found a person who will adopt the black

kitten, but the grey one will have to stay with me.

Anyway, next Monday I am taking him and my friend’s cat to a vet clinic to have them both

spayed/neutered. The only thing is, my friend’s cat is in heat. Is that going to be a problem?

Can I spay a cat in heat?

Hey there it is possible but a lot riskier due to the increased vascularization of the reproductive system. It is better to wait until they are out but cats are almost always in heat unless they are pregnate so it's difficult to say I would talk to your vet

Hey. I don’t know much about cat spaying but what I do know is that you’re not supposed to do that while she is in heat.

I mean yes, it is possible to perform the procedure and maybe some greedy vets would agree to do it as long as they get extra money for it, but the truth is- it is not recommended. Mainly because of the bleeding and all sorts of complications that can happen during the performance of the procedure.

So if you ask me, it is much better to wait and take her to the vet when she is not in heat.

Hey Oshikuru.

I was reading a lot about this. Of course that you can do it but there is a big chance that something will go wrong. Cats in heat will have more complications from the surgery than other cats.

Here is why – when your cat is in heat, the uterus and cervix become very thick and swollen. The blood vessels associated with the ovaries and uterus are engorged in this time and they are making it slightly bloodier and that is why this surgery is dangerous. At least more than in other cases.

I was talking with my vet and he told me that he spayed so many cats that were in heat and everything was fine every time.

Hello. A lot of vets will tell you that cat owners have to wait between 4 and 6 weeks after cat was in heat to get her spayed. But very soon cats are in the heat again. In this case you should probably look for another vet's opinion. Cats generally can be spayed when they are in heat but there are some risks when you are doing it. There is definitely more blood when your cat is in heat and your vet is doing this procedure. It is definitely more risky. But also everything can be ok. Consult more vets to see what they are thinking about it.

Heeeey :)

Yes it is very possible to spay your cat during the heat cycle but I have to admit that I am scared. I would not do that.

And don’t ask me why because I can’t tell you lol.

I was reading a lot about it. I asked my vet for his opinion. He told me that he wouldn’t do this.

During the estrus cycle, your cat’s reproductive organs are and related blood vessels become engorged with blood. It takes a lot, A LOT of time to complete the surgery and there is a lot of blood.

Also many owners make a appointment for spaying for their cats without realizing that their cat is in heat.

Hello everyone.

Really? You can spay your cat when she is in heat? Never heard of it :/ I know that my friend did it once while her cat was pregnant. I don’t know how this end up but I think that I can remember clearly that he told me not to do it ever.

Now I have a female cat, my Hope, and I am planning to spay her in a couple of weeks. I am waiting for too long this to happen and I am a little bit scared because I don’t know if she ever was in a heat.

I didn’t saw any symptoms :/

You already scheduled the procedure right? :/

I had a similar problem when I wanted to get my oldest cat spayed. I wanted the procedure to be done by this very popular vet, he comes in the village once in every 3-4 months. They told me it doesn’t matter who will do it because it’s a routine procedure and any vet can do it, but I wanted to wait him in particular. I was scheduled in a month.

After 25 days I realized that my cat is in heat and I immediately called them and told them that my cat is in heat. I had a full refund and I was offered to reschedule.

Hello everyone. I have experience with it. I got my cat spayed when she was in heat. I didn’t know that she was in heat and somehow my vet didn’t know it as well. He was some very young vet but I do blame him. I remember that he just came out and he told me that my cat is bleeding a lot and that he doesn’t know how to stop the bleeding: / Whole world just crushed in front of my eyes! Tnx God there was an older vet who had experience with it and he told me immediately that my cat is in heat. He went there and he stopped the bleeding. My cat was under super care for next five or six days. After that they let me to take her home and to take really good care of her. Now, there is possibility to get your cat spayed when she is in heat but your vet needs to have experience with it…. Good luck!

The procedure of spaying a cat is exactly the same when the cat is in heat and when it isn’t. The procedure of removing the uterus and ovaries doesn’t differ at all. So what’s the difference? Well, the difference is what Millie-cat mentioned above, while in heat, cat’s blood vessels and its uterus are enlarged and that leads to increased bleeding. That makes the procedure harder to perform, but not impossible.

So my advice is, if it’s not really urgent to get the procedure done, wait until the cat is heat-free. :)

Why risk if there is no need to, right? ;)