Hello you pet lovers. It was my anniversary last week, and my husband gave me a little cat as a gift. She is three months old, and as far as I know, he pick her up from some shelter. I am glad, because I will be able to help this cute little animal :) I never had a cat before, I have to be honest with you, so I don’t know that much about them. But, I have notice that this one is really weak, skinny, and she is licking her anal area a lot. Sometimes, she is nervous and upset. I was googling and I found out that this can be sign of impacted anal gland. Since I don’t know so much about it, can you tell me how to treat it and is there a necessary to take my cat to the vet? 

Hey there you new pet lover :) I am glad that you have accepted this cat, because she needs love and home at this moment. She was probably sick in the shelter, but they didn’t notice it. Now, since you don’t know a lot about the cats, actually, you told us that you don’t know anything, I would recommend you to visit your vet. Treating impacted anal gland in your cat is not a big deal, and if you know, you can do it alone, but for the first time, I would recommend you to let your vet to this. It will be a painful for her, and she will need a good home care after this, but she will be fine :) Good luck with a new pet :)

Hello. Treating impacted anal gland in cats can be very demanding and requires a lot of experience. Cats are usually nervous because they’re dealing with a lot of pain and if you try to get close to her under tail area she might even become aggressive.

Since you don’t have any experience, my advice would also be- let your vet handle it. There is no way you could do it on your own. The procedure includes draining your cat’s anal glands using your fingers. It is not painful for your cat, but it can be unpleasant. If you decide to do it on your own let me know and I’ll explain the whole procedure.

The impacted anal gland is very common among cats and is easily treated, so you don’t have anything to worry about. You or your vet (better option for now) will express anal sacs so they can function normally again.

But you need to go to the vet as soon as possible, because anal gland can rupture and that is when things get serious. That will be very painful for your cat and she will need antibiotics or even a surgery (in case the abscess is too large).

I recommend a vet only because you are a newly cat owner. When you first see how anal glands are being expressed, I am positive you can do it by yourself next time. 

Hello Helena. A lot of cats have this problem, and if you treat it right, you should not be worried about it. But, you told us that this is your first time, that you are meeting with something like this, so you will need a lot of experience before you deal it alone. For the first time, you should take your cat to the vet, don’t wait. He will treat impacted anal gland at the proper way, and you can ask him to show you how you can treat it if this repeats. It is not a big deal, but it requires experience :)

My cat also has problems with anal glands. It all started few days ago. Actually I believe it started probably a month ago but I didn’t notice it till recently. My mother says she noticed it 20 days ago but she didn’t know what were those symptoms pointing to. 

Yesterday I took my cat to the vet and she told me that my cat needs a surgical procedure. I don’t like that idea and I am hoping to find an easier alternative. Surgical procedure is my last option.

So, I would also like to to hear some of your suggestion. I will be following this topic.

Yes, that is a little bit bad when she needs to go to the surgery :/ I didn’t have this problem, and I don’t know what the feeling is. My cat had impacted anal gland, but we, me and my vet, cure it very successfully. It was dramatic for me, and for my cat. She was in so big pain, and I was crying when I was listening her.

But, you have to react very fast Helena, because it can turn to something worse, and you don’t want that to happen. You don’t want your cat on surgery table, right?Good luck…