Hello. I have a cat related problem.

Namely my kitten is about to become a cat.

Since I am a fresh, new cat owner, you might conclude that I know little about cats. And you would be wrong. The truth is I know nothing about cats. :)

I am reading internet articles almost everyday hoping they will help me deal with some regular problems such as where to find a litter box and is it ok not to brush my cat’s teeth.

What I wanted to ask you now is do you happen to know at what age do cats go in heat? I want to be prepared. And how am I supposed to calm her while in heat?

Hi Oshikuru,

Cats go into heat around 6 months of age but it depends upon the breed.  They usually are in heat for about a week or so.

They'll meow like crazy and may make odd gestures with their tails, lick their genitals, etc.

Get her fixed - now.

Hello. Oshikuru, most of female cats will go into heat when they are 6 months old, just like medic – dan told you already. But also certain environmental factors can cause it to happen even more quickly than you can imagine. There are some breads that can go into heat much earlier, even when they are 4 months old. One of those breeds are Siamese. But some cats can go in heat when they are 10 months old. But don’t worry, whenever your cat is in heat you will notice the signs of it. You can calm her by singing her, playing with or play some good, relaxing music.

Hey guys.

When cats are in heat they meowing like crazy, they don’t want to play. They are playing hide and seek as well. Those are just some of symptoms.

Dog Whisperer told you at what age do cats can get into heat. There are a couple of ways how to calm your cat when she is in heat.

• Isolate her form male cats,
  • Don’t let her go out alone,
  • Give your cat something warm to sit on it,
  • Use some medications if there is a necessary for it,
  • Keep her litter box clean always.

Hey everyone,

I hate it when this period comes. I'm trying to keep myself from spaying my cat because I think it does more wrong than good, but sometimes I'm really losing it. 

It happens for the first time when she is somewhere around 6 months old like they have already told you. 

She will starting meowing, constantly, and it's so crazy irritating. And she'll love to lick her genitals. There is this dirty joke about cats and dogs, why do they lick their genitals? Because they can. :D

I honestly don't think that you can do much to calm her down. Just wait for it to pass.

I remember when my cat was in heat, she was very hard to handle. I don’t have her anymore, I had to give her away. My brother had to come to live with me (he had nowhere else to stay) and he has asthma, he is also allergic to cats so I had to give Fluffy away to a friend of mine.
When she is in heat, she starts acting strange and I used to let her in the yard during those days cuz she was really hard to handle. I really didn’t know a better way to calm her.

Hey everyone,

Hahaha, Guest, so you were just like, go outside and do whatever you want to do but please come back calmed down. It's a good strategy.

Cats go into heat when they are about five months old. I'm always suggesting that you spay her before this happens. When it happens, the only thing that will calm her down is getting intimate (if you can say that for cats) with another cat, so there is nothing you can do there.

If you decide to spay her, pay attention not to do it while she is in heat because there can be additional complications.

Hey. Well guys, you see that cats are so irritating and unbearable when they are in heat. And what I was telling you before? Female cats needs to be spayed :)

That is the only way for them to be calmed and to stop meowing constantly. My neighbor cat is waking me up almost every night with loud, annoying meowing. One night I went to my neighbor and told him to do this because he will save us all lol :)

Try to come close to her and try to play with her. That is maybe only way to calm her down.

Hey everyone.

I know that the age when cat is in heat will vary from cat to cat. It depends on so many factors such as environmental and cat breed. Outdoor cats can get in heat before indoor cats.

For example, Siamese cats can show signs of puberty when they are 4 months old. Persian cat can show signs of heat when she is 10. But serially, between 5 and 6 months is when cat reach puberty.

The best way to calm her down is to provide an attention to your cat. Also you need to provide her safe location, where she is going to be safe from male cats.