OK, so my wife and i have 5 kids, our youngest is 8 yrs old. Since the birth of our youngest child, i have never "pulled out" during intercourse and she has never gotten pregnant. I just figured i had a low sperm count or something.We have sex maybe 2 or 3 times a week and have not changed a single thing in our daily routine, no fertility pills, no nothing.Now to our suprise...SHE'S PREGNANT!! Im writing this without my wife knowing about it and i just want to know...Can a woman just all of a sudden get pregnant after sooo many years of trying, or do you think foul play was invoved Im going crazy wondering if maybe she slept with someone else, or is it possible that we just got lucky after 8 years.PLEASE HELP!

Basically, you're asking us to tell you if your wife had sex with another man.

You're the one who has engaged in unprotected sex with her for years, and now you are surprised that she has conceived.

Why would you think that she may have slept with someone else? Is there something else going on in your relationship that you're not telling us? Why would you think that way? Has she given you any reaons to think that she might be unfaithful? Have YOU been?

It is certainly possible that she has gotten pregnant by you. Now what are you going to do about it? Do you two want the child?

I understand where youre coming from and i see how my post could sound jacked up on my part...YES,of course we want the child, i've always wanted a big family, and yes i guess you can say our relationship has seen better times, but i have 5 (going on 6!) kids ranging from 17 to 8 years old and i love them all more than anything. I guess i just wanted to know if it was common for a couple to have unprotected sex for so long and not get pregnant, and then one fine day.....KABAM ! Bun in the oven!

Thank you Kirk C. ,thats what i wanted to know.

wondering671 wrote:

Kirk C wrote:

It is certainly possible that she has gotten pregnant by you.

Certainly possible. The law of averages doesn't care how many times before you "flipped the coin" or gambled with unprotected sex.

All that's necessary is for a single viable sperm and a single viable egg to meet and implant.

It could happen again. Think about that. Do you really want to gamble on ANOTHER after this one?

Those are the continuing risks of unprotected sex.

Hi wondering, congratulations to you and your wife.

My brother and sister in law have been married for 20 years. Neither one of the ever used any form of protection, ever. 10 years went by and still no baby. They did not care either way, but the fam was the ones that kept bugging them to have a baby. 11 years into the marraige, they got pregnant. Today, my neice is 9 years old.

It's all in the timeing, that's all, right time right place.
So, get the notion that your wife is sleeping around on you out of your head, if you don't, it's certainly going to cause trouble down the road. Here comes that big family that you have always wanted.

Thanks everyone for all your help...my scenario is kinda similar to bbfeet9's brother. It wasnt that we were gambling by having unprotected sex, it just wouldnt have mattered to us either way...she gets pregnant..YAYY!! she doesnt...oh well, i've still got 5 beautiful kids drive me nuts until the next time i get "lucky". We're going on six now, and i think thats as big a family as i want....i think ;-) Again, thanks for all the help...i'm gonna go have unprotected sex with my wife....kidding XD ....sorry, i couldnt resist. PEACE!!

Hey, I didn't say NOT to have unprotect sex....

I just suggested that you two might want to start talking about just how many would be enough.
That is, once the 6th kid is here, just which one of you is going to get snipped... or HOW you two are going to practice birth control...
or, if you believe in it at all...

I would urge you to start investigating the options... as in, IF she needs to have surgury during delivery (Caesarian!) could insurance also cover the costs of having her tubes tied? Or should you plan on getting snipped? Or are you two going to be constant condom users? Or is it an IUD or diaphram or implant?

Just suggesting that you start investigating and discussing the alternatives. ;-)

Go have all the unprotected sex you want now, the bun is already in the oven, lol.
I think it's easier for the dad to have a vasectomy. I had my tubes tied years ago and have never been the same. My periods were so screwed up and i got cramps like never before.

My first husband had his done just as soon as i delivered our last daughter together. We wanted to wait until she was born, just to make sure all was good. I went with him for his procedure and it took all of 20 minutes. He had to go straight home and lay down with an ice pack on his scrotum. He had all weekend to recover and went back to work on Monday with no restrictions. He went back for his sperm count 6 weeks later all was cleared. Protection should still be used until there are no swimmers left in the pool!!

I agree, bbfeet9, it's simpler for a man. But also watch out for his libedo to increase! :-S

If memory serves, when I got my vasectomy, I was giving semen samples for confirmation that there were no more sperms in the pipeline within about 3 to 4 weeks. And if I'm on the mark here, I was carrying a load for quite a while until I was healed up. I had a site infection that took some real antibiotics to cure. But I've never regreted it.

Just make sure you two are SURE before making a permanent decision like this.

(We waited until my last child was about 6 months old and we were sure he was completely healthy before we took this step.)

They are typically reversible though, aren't they? That is what my understanding is as well. I know that it's not always reversible but that it can be. AM I mistaken?

A vasectomy can be reversed, but as years go by and the procedure gets older and older, it's harder to expect any results after a reversal.
My bff's hub had a vasectomy after their 2nd son was born, about 5 years later they decided that they wanted a daughter, or at least try for another child. He had a reversal and sadly enough, nothing happened. They are both in their early 50's now. :-( They are so happy with the boys but really wanted a chance to have a little girl. Marty Jr. is the eldest son, he and his wife are now expecting a baby, and lo and behold, ultra sound says it's a little girl!!
Clare and Martin will get their little girl. The good thing is they can spoil her and fill her full of candy, then send her home :-S
Being a granny is great, we can spoil them all we want, then say bye bye ;-)

Yes, an attempt CAN be made to reverse a vasectomy... to reconnect the tubes back up... but the initial procedure should be approached as a one way decision.

Doctors ask BOTH patients to weigh the options...what happens if the wife dies and he remarries...what if one of their kids dies in an accident? will there be a desire to father another child?

I understand the reverse operation is EXPENSIVE, and results NOT guaranteed. And in many cases, insurance will not cover it, as it is a voluntary choice and not medically required.

(Of course, if you've got money, you can have your body cut as many times as you'd like to risk it... I found the bruising from internal bleeding to be quite disgusting, and a real turn off to my wife... until the reds and purples covering the scrotum faded to greens and yellows, and even then, it was not appealing. Once that "spilled blood" was absorbed, things returned to "normal", except that my libido took a great jump!)

That's why I say, it's a permanent decision.

Wow, six kids! I'm glad to hear that you're blessed with another bundle though. How far along is your wife now?