This post is an extension of the
Ablasion and Pregnancy thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Hi. I had a tubal 4 years ago, and then had an ablasion about a year ago. I just found out that I am in a "very early" pregnancy. I am so worried after reading all of these posts and was wondering if anyone had positive outcomes. Thanks so much. ?

Hello all,

I am 32 with a 11 1/2 year old and a 13 month old. Happy with my healthy children I already have, I had cryo-ablation to get "fixed" and to eliminate my period. My goal was to be 31 and have no period. Needless to say, I still get my period every month like clockwork. However, it is lighter and more bearable I have to admit....or should I say it "was".

October 20th came and gone and I didn't get my period. I high fived my sister and was jumping up and down that the surgery had finally worked for me.....ummmm, think again. Needless to say a couple of weeks ago I started to gag every time I brushed my teeth, a tell tale sign that I'm pregnant. I took two home pregnancy tests and you guessed it, both positive. I called the doc and he called me back and said "No Debbie, that can't happen, we did the ablation surgery on you, right?" He sent me for blood work because he seemed to not believe that I was pregnant. The doctor's nurse informed me the next day that I indeed was pregnant and my levels looked good, and they scheduled me for a sonogram 2 days later. Sonogram showed a healthy sac and baby with a healthy heartbeat. This was last Monday and I was 8 weeks and 2 days according to the measurements. I am scared to death, because I have read about the chances of having uterine rupture and placenta accreta etc and my doctor is refusing to give me stats or odds on that happening. He actually seemed like it was news to him that it could happen at all when I told him what I have read. He cancelled my 5pm appt today where I wanted answers to a lot of questions and concerns I have. I loved my doctor to death, but I'm starting to really get upset with him now. Oh, to top it off he is going on vacation and I will not be able to see him until December 8th, when I'm 11 weeks plus pregnant.

I made an appt with another OB tomorrow at 3pm and I'm hoping they can shed some light on my situation, in the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone out there had any good answers or has been through this etc. Please let me know what your doctor has told you if you have been pregnant after cryo-ablation surgery.

Thanks so much!

Debbie

I gave birth to my daughter in Aug after having the cryoablation done 2 years ago. I wont lie to you, it was the most scariest thing I have ever done. We sat on pins and needles ever day for 36 weeks not knowing if I would make it or my baby. She was not planned, we have 2 other kids, but I wouldn't have my life now any other way! God is good and gave us a healthy baby born a month early.
You need a dr who specializes in high risk pregnancies and supports you and your decision to carry your baby! Hope this helps you a little!

I had Novasure in December 2007 and then met the man of my dreams less than 2 months later.... (I've posted my story in here before - tiny pink spot when my period should have occured was all i had of a period afterward)...

Having an ablation performed induces Asherman's Syndrome (scarring of the uterus). If you research Asherman's you will find that there are surgeries to help correct it.

I had surgery October 2nd to remove scar tissue from my uterus (my tubes are badly scarred due to the ablation so nothing was done to try to fix them). After surgery my doctor left a balloon catheder filled with saline in my uterus for 10 days (to help prevent reformation of scar tissue) and put my on high doses of hormones for 28 days. I was supposed to have a period upon completion of the hormones but didn't. We (me and my BF) just figured the surgery wasn't a success and gave up. When December rolled arond and I still didn't have a period (not even the pink spot I used to get) I finally went back to the doctor. He performed an ultrasound and found that while my lining appeared to be 10mm (YEH!!) I had a cyst which was preventing my period from starting. WOW! So now I'm on BC pills for 6 weeks straight (I'm currently half way through the cycle). I should have a period when I'm done.

I pray that my basal lining still has enough life left in it to grow a viable lining in my uterus! Before this last surgery my lining appeared to be 8mm but after doing a biopsy the lining was found to be just muscular with no viable lining. We pray that the extra 2mm of lining found in the ultrasound after the surgery is the good stuff so we can do IVF.

Good luck to everyone trying to conceive after ablation! The key is to finding a doctor who specializes in ASHERMAN'S SYNDROME and then pray your basal lining (where the uterine glands are located) hasn't been completely destroyed.

Turns out I did not have a period after the 6 weeks on the pill. The cyst had decreased in size by half though. The doc put me on a higher dose pill for another 3 weeks. I've got one week left on them and I go back to see him in 2 weeks.

The waiting is difficult but if we can have a baby in the end it's worth it. The chances of that happening are becoming slimmer and slimmer though.

Hi, Back in 1992 I delivered my son via c-section AFTER I had a previous section with my daughter in 1989. My doctor was allowing me to "have" my son, he induced labor (which later we found out should not be done after a previous section). My labor was induced and during the course of labor, my uterus AND my bladder ruptured. I had already had a epidural but my side was hurting really bad, the doctor got a blood return after catheterizing me, so they knew SOMETHING was wrong. They rushed me to OR and as soon as the doc did the incision, the baby was in the body cavity in blood and urine. He was not breathing at the time, but they got him breathing and he is a healthy 17 year old today. I recently remarried about 4 years ago, however, 2 years PRIOR to us getting married, (or even meeting) I had an ablation. Well last week I was feeling sick, had not had a period, and was ill all the time.. I KNEW something was not right. I did a pregnancy test and BOTH were positive. I have an appointment on Wednesday, in two days, I am a nervous wreck! I have read horror stories about pregnancies after an ablation, but I am really even more nervous since I had that rupture as well. NOT TO MENTION the fact that I am almost FORTY ONE YEARS OLD!!!!! Any one have anything COMFORTING to tell me???

Thanks!
NERVOUS

I am 30 yrs old had my tubes tied in 2005 and cryoablation in 2007. My husband wants another baby so I have been researching about IVF and tubal reversal. I found Dr. Berger he is a Tubal reversal specialist that is all he does in his practice (4 a day). I emailed him and asked him if he thought it would be possible for me to get pregnant after the ablation if I had a tubal reversal. He had me get a vaginal ultrasound and a hysteroscopy. The ultasound showed that my lining was 7.8 mm and the hysteroscopy showed that I had a normal lining. I am scheduled to get my tubal reversal on 3/31/09. I am traveling from CT to NC because this is suppose to be one of the best doctors out there and he is not expensive. I appreciated the fact that he had me undergo test and didn't just tell me yes. I am very nervous and worry all day everyday but hopefully it will work out. My regular OB/GYN told me he thinks I should move forward that everything looks goods.

Thank you for your posting. I had my first child (via emergency c-section) in 1988 and my second one (by induced c-section) in 1992. I was an unmarried teenage mother, so I opted for a tubal ligation since the birth control pill failed resulting in my second pregnancy. I had an Micro Endometrial Ablation in 2004. When I had mine, my doctor made it sound so good! It was supposed to end the heavy periods and within 6 months (after having the procedure) I'd not have a period any longer. WRONG! It lightened mine up for about a year, then I was back to heavy ones. I found losing weight and exercising actually helped calm my period down. I
Now, I've met the man of my dreams, and once we're married, we're wanting to try to have a baby.
I appreciate the information you posted. It gives a good starting point when I see my GYN next week. If she says it's a good chance my uterus is still viable, I'm definitely planning a trip to NC (since it's my home state anyway) to have a tubal reversal at Dr. Berger's Clinic. Wish me luck!

WOW- there is hope, I feel like crying!

The only thing I havent read about was an essure procedure and ablation. i dont think the essure is reversable, does anyone know? I just had the essure (like a tubal) and ablation done three months ago.
stupid mistake, I knew my marriage sucked for yrs and i am now divorced. never thought I would meet my real soulmate, but i did. He doesnt have any kiddos and I so desperately want to give him one.
i fully unerstand the risks. i am 34 have had 5 pregnancies and 5 kiddos, although #3 died after birth due to a congential birth defect :-(
Even before I met my fiance, I have felt horrible about my decision to become sterile. I just felt awful emotionally knowing I never could have another baby. Now Im a wreck about it.
well im in San Antonio, so if anyone can recommend specialists i would appreciate it also. I already have an awesome OBGYN tho :-P

Good luck to those already preggo!!! y'all are our inspiration!!

Wish those of us who want another baby some luck too pretty plz :-)

And to those few who have posted remarks about the fact that we should have not had the procedure done if we wanted a baby, u can save it, sorry to be so frank, but life can change 180 degrees in a heart beat. no one knows their future and we trust our docs to to order med procedures we absolutely need. I was bleeding EVERYDAY for three years or so, and thought I was going to be able to put up w/ my ex (for the kids to get older) till i was into my 40s. Didnt happen.

There is hope to having a successful pregnancy after having the Novasure procedure and a tubal. My husband I decided to have my tubes tied after our second child in 2004, I had the Novasure procedure in 2005. The ablation was successful for 2 years; I had no menstrual cycle for a full 2 years. In early 2008 I started to have a normal cycle for no apparent reason. This caused us to hope my body had healed. My OBGYM directed us to a fertility specialist in Houston to determine the condition of my uterine lining. After a trans-vaginal ultrasound, a P4 blood test, and a hysteroscopy. We have been given the green light to reverse my tubal or have IVF performed. If you are in doubt contact a fertility specialist, there are tests to determine the condition of your uterus and evaluate the medical risks with pregnancy.

Hi there, can you let us know how the reversal surgery went for you? How long did it take you to get over the surgery? I would like to learn more. Thank you!

Hello, my husband and I are also considering IVF since my tubes were tied...we hadnt considered tubal reversal. I too had an ablation done for severe anemia and excessive bleeding. Which route did you go, IVF or Reversal? And did it work? Considering seeing the doctors in Chapel Hill NC have read excellent things about them.

The post above is from me...I wasn't logged in.

After 1 failed IFV, we just received word today our second attempt worked. We chose not to reverse the tubal due to the success ratio was not much high than IVf and had a high risk of A-topic pregnancy. Best of luck with your process,