Hi, I have continual numbness between first and second joints of right hand with occasional sharp pain. It seems to originate in the mid forearm area. Any ideas what this is and how it might be relieved would be welcome. It started spontaneously and doesn't seem related to any particular event - it's just so annoying and painful when it catches me.

It sounds like your C1 to C3 neck Vertebrae - if it is swollen or herniated, arthritis etc. it pinches the nerve that runs down through your shoulder, down your arm and into your thumb and first fingers! Try and have someone massage your neck and see what you feel in your hand - also if it releases! There is no use massaging your hand - concentrate on your upper arm, neck and shoulder! Hope this helps - also take Ibuprofin to help with the swelling and pain!